walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glad I was 'dugless' in Inveruglas

Glad I was 'dugless' in Inveruglas

Postby soulminer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 19/02/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Strange title for this report, but there is a sting in the tail.
Set off early as the forcast was for sunshine at 0900 8) Parked in car park opposite the Power Station, pulled on the boots and the gaiters and set off down the road. I have been on Ben Vane twice before,and as with today have never been able to pass through the gate with a winter bag :lol: . So once again i had to climb over- next time the bu**er comes off the hinges :twisted:
The sky was looking good already with glimpses of amber edging the hills ahead

A'Chrois and Vane

IMGP0070 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0071 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A little further up the sun was peering out from behind the Lomond Hills

IMGP0073 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

This was useful as it pointed the way ahead :lol:

IMGP0074 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The views were pleasant enough surrounding me

IMGP0076 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0077 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0078 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The view of the Dam was particularly fine
IMGP0079 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Elected to wear my crampons as I reached the cave, as the path up had been quite a challenge :lol: Had to walk up mostly on virgin snow beside the path.
Strode on up taking in all around me. The Ice sculpture and the animal tracks.

IMGP0082 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0083 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The route ahead

IMGP0090 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Watching the cloud build up over Vorlich and through the gaps to the back. Was it to be glorious all day ?

IMGP0089 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0091 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0093 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Not looking good, the wind was steadily increasing and the sky was darkening

IMGP0094 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The summit reached and the snow was starting to fall from the wind swept and swirling clouds

IMGP0098 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

As quick as it appeared, it vanished with blue skies shining through

IMGP0101 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0102 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0106 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0107 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Fuelled by caffeine and- excuse the use of Talking Heads lyrics, 'living on nuts and berries' I headed for the path back down, the same one I had blazed on the way up :lol:

Some more of Natures' Art Work

IMGP0111 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0112 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Met a few other intrepid explorers on the way down, out to sample all my sunshine 8)

I did mention at the top of this report- a sting in the tail. Happy-Happy -Joy -Joy day was turned on its head by 4 idiots According to the Scottish Outdoor Access Code all dogs should be under strict control on a lead- a couple of walkers I met were following this to the letter. But, just on a rise beside the Generator bounded a sheep with a Golden Retriever in hot pursuit. Right in front of me the dog sank its teeth into the rear of the sheep getting a mouthful of wool and carried on the pursuit towards the river. Around the bend strolls two 'men' and their 'wives' calling for their dog. I sort of lost the plot with the clowns, especially as the 'Head Balloon' refused to believe his timid little doggie wouldn't do such a thing :shock: I pointed the way towards the racket that was being made down by the river,sounded like his dog may have fallen down into the river and been hurt. I felt sorry for the animal, but certainly did not 'miss and hit the wall' with the- so called, owners.
As in the title, I was glad I hadn't taken my dogs as they might have been embarrassed for the Retreiver as it's owners were f**king useless. I hope the farmer had a view of this and shot the owners and not the dog, although I fear the dog may have had its own problems- sad to say :(
soulminer

Re: Glad I was 'dugless' in Inveruglas

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:26 pm

1st off......cracking pics.

2nd..............My stomach,heaved at what happened to the poor dog & sheep.

3rd..............Like you hope the farmer shot the owners & not the dog if it survived.

4th ...........Hope you get over this encounter.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby soulminer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:31 pm

I hope the dog is ok, it was yelping,but barking as well. The sheep I can't comment on.
soulminer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 pm

First of all great report and secondly, those photos are stunning :thumbup: . I know how you felt about the owners of the dog, i came across a similar situation on Conic Hill last year with a dog chasing a sheep and when i confronted the owners they couldn't give a damn :thumbdown: .
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Some belters of photos there and grand report

My dog is a wee fecker with sheep so i muzzle and lead if their about and i 've been embarrassed a few times :) ... its simple sheep and dogs is generally no a good mix unless its working dogs :) trouble is sheep naturally flee ,dogs naturally chase its no rocket science ,trouble is the owners !
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby rockhopper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:03 am

a great day despite the ending - lovely atmospheric summit shots and icicles photos - that gate can be a bit of a squeeze even with a summer bag :lol: - very enjoyable - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:17 am

Stunning pics on a fabulous day.... apart from the ending which makes me feel sick as it's my constant fear on the hill a sheep will suddenly appear in front of Jack when he's off lead and I know if it runs he's wired to run after it. It happened high up An Teallach when a lone black sheep bolted out in front of Jack and down the hill. He bounded after it and I blasted on the whistle. He circled round and ran back to me - but I was shaking as I knew if the farmer had been there he'd have been in his rights to shoot him. Needless to say the mutt stayed on the lead for the rest of the day! :?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby soulminer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:
i came across a similar situation on Conic Hill last year with a dog chasing a sheep and when i confronted the owners they couldn't give a damn .

I remember that, and another in Outside Scotland reports - with similar conseqences.

Collaciotach wrote :
trouble is sheep naturally flee, dogs naturally chase its no rocket science ,trouble is the owners !

Flight Mechanism and Prey Drive - a natural survival tool for both animals, but- as you say, the trouble is firmly with the owners. It is up to dog owners to take the precautions for prevention- as we, as responsible owners, do ! and the disinterested ignore.

Dog Plodder wrote:
He bounded after it and I blasted on the whistle. He circled round and ran back to me

Have had a similar incident on BeB, but with deer.

I would not blame any farmer for shooting a dog, even my own, that was 'worrying' sheep. It is,after all, their livelihood.
It makes no difference how the sheep are hurt, whether savaging- as witnessed, or maybe- as my collies would do, herding, any injury to livestock is not acceptable, and indeed a loss of revenue to the farmer.
However the irresponsibility of the owners should not be ignored.
Last edited by soulminer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulminer

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Looked like a great day out until that sickening end :( Great pics of the icicles 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby BigColz » Sun May 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Great report! Was here today , no dogs off leads thankfully!
BigColz
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 am

Often people will only put their dog on a lead AFTER there has been a problem. All those people you hear screaming at their dogs when you are out walking must know from past experience that their animals don't take a blind bit of notice of them. So why not have them on a lead from the word go? It would make life a great deal more pleasant for sheep, deer and other walkers. :twisted:
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby soulminer » Mon May 21, 2012 8:21 am

I do agree in an area where livestock are prevelant, that dogs should be on a lead.
Having said that, I do let my Collies off the lead on mountains where there seems to be no livestock. Yesterday they were off the lead for most of the day. Near the summit one of my dogs caught a scent and followed it, had to jump down after him- a two minute detour. After clipping him up we came across a ewe and her lambs, it was their scent he had followed- they must have came up that way and he came across their scent and followed it down.He wasn't running, or bounding- just following his nose,but never bothered with the ewe and lambs when we passed them- and they didn't bother with him. That was the only 'livestock' we had seen all day on the hill, my fellow walkers never even saw the sheep.
The incident with the Retriever was actually causing a degree of stress and harm to the sheep. Also, this was low down and there were sheep scattered about the entire hillside.
At this time of year, with lambs in abundance, some common sense should be followed. It may be considered I was lacking some with my dogs off the lead near the summit of a Corbett, but I would suggest there is a slight difference in circumstances.
soulminer

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Mon May 21, 2012 9:17 am

Good report. Have to admit I'm lucky with Zeus as he doesn't seem the least bit interested in sheep etc. One bound across in front of him on the way back down Ben Lomond and he got more of a fright than anything. He has a good recall too though, something I practised relentlessly with him as a pup so on the odd occassion something perks his interest a quick Oii normally brings him to his senses.
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland