walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ye'll Tak the Tourist Road an I'll Tak the Ptarmigan

Ye'll Tak the Tourist Road an I'll Tak the Ptarmigan

Postby laconic surf » Sun May 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 19/05/2012

Time taken: 4.2 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1036m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An I'll be at the summit afore ye :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Had been planning to do this hill for a while but didn't fancy going up and down the tourist route. WH has an optional return route going down the Ptarmigan ridge but after a bit of research I decided that ascending this way would be my best bet.
To access the path for the Ptarmigan ridge you have to walk to the opposite end of the car park to the visitor's centre. The path here follows the Loch and passes the war memorial.

IMG_0811.JPG
Path by the Loch

IMG_0810.JPG
War Memorial

The path joins on to the West Highland Way and passes by the Rangers cabin, the Rowardennan youth hostel and a house. The path then passes a house with high fences called Ben Lomond cottage, on the perimeter of the cottage fence is a burn with a path alongside it, turn right off the WHW and follow this path as it rises following the burn. Through a gate and that's it, a nice path all the way to the ridge. The path really is scenic as you gain height and views of the Loch open up.

IMG_0817.JPG
Tranquil Loch

IMG_0826.JPG
The Cobbler from the path

IMG_0829.JPG

Finally you hit a false summit and the top of Ben Lomond appears, the path is gentle and undulating as it bypasses a wee lochan before the ascent up the ridge begins.

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG
Ptarmigan ridge leading to the summit

Just as I was arrived at the Lochan, the clag rolled in covering the summit. As the wind was picking up I was hopeful this would blow over before I reached the top.

IMG_0834.JPG
Arrival of the clag

IMG_0835.JPG

As I started to climb the ridge I was using my walking poles but as I reached the snow line, the combination of sludge and rock was making them more a hindrance than a help, so I stowed them and felt much happier being able to use my hands. The path was often covered in snow so I deviated away from it and had fun on the more testing crags to the side. The ridge became a real scramble in places and time was taken to make sure the footholds were stable. The snow was melting fast, so the rocks were wet and dripping. Two people in front of me actually retreated off the ridge as they were unprepared for the need to scramble and nerves got the better of them. The clag was rolling past and a wee snow flurry began. I realised that I could have done with my gloves here due to trying to grip cold snow covered rocks. Too late now, they were in my pack and there was no room to be trying to take it off. Onwards and upwards. One or two moves were actually quite exposed and the footholds were on the small side. Great fun though, just don't look down :D

IMG_0842.JPG
Scramble route to the top

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

Concentrating on the scramble, it actually comes as a real suprise when your head pops up and your at the trig point with folk having their lunch having come up the tourist route. I felt a real sense of elation reaching the top, more so for having scrambled up the final peak.

IMG_0844.JPG
Summit reached

IMG_0848.JPG
The impressive North face cliffs

After lunch I descended via the tourist path down. The view was nice but nothing as dramatic as from the other side of the hill. The amount of stone on the path was a real bone shaker, it was easy to see why other paths are forming on the grass beside it. I arrived back at car park just over 4 hours after starting. The Ptarmigan ridge route really is a lot of fun and the views are spectacular. A fantastic climb up the bonnie, bonnie slopes of Ben Lomond.
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: Ye'll Tak the Tourist Road an I'll Tak the Ptarmigan

Postby Chrisabelle » Mon May 21, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks for this post. I had my lunch by the lochan when I went the same route although I took a little longer than yourself. I agree the tourist path is hard on the old legs, and a bit boring compared to ptarmigan ridge route.
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Mon May 21, 2012 9:19 pm

Nice one fella pictures look very atmospheric. Good report
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby jaybee » Tue May 22, 2012 10:07 pm

Took the very same route a few weekends back and agree that the Ptarmigan is a great way to reach the summit. That last 100ft of scramble is quite exciting in the snow (and ice when we did it) and I completely agree with the delicious surprise of suddenly appearing in someone's lunch spot, unheard and unseen until that moment when your head pops up.
We found the return path very long and very busy!

This was our first Munro and very satisfying.
jaybee
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby basscadet » Tue May 22, 2012 11:25 pm

Good work LC.. and good pics :thumbup:
I've seen this one fae afar often recently.. I will definately do it that way thanks :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby 2dalmatians » Fri May 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Well done LC - the oppostite route from my report last week...and in half the time :lol: I just love this hill. Cant wait to do my 2013 report!!!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland