walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

All alone on Ben Vane

All alone on Ben Vane

Postby Gargantuan Tribe » Mon May 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 21/05/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Starting from the visitor centre at Inveruglas, the whole day started out with a great view over Loch Lomond to Inversnaid hotel and then continued with a close-up look at Sloy power station. The peaks were all in cloud but I was hopeful (in vain as it transpired) that the strong breeze and the strengthening sun would soon clear the clouds away and so I set off under the railway in a most hopeful mood.
My good mood increased when I startled a deer in amongst a spruce plantation and when my destination peak came into view, although still shrouded in cloud at the top, I managed to feel even better about my prospects for the day. After a short fall into a stream which only dampened my spirits slightly (it was quite a humorous episode to be fair) I soon started on the very steep ascent. The going was tough but speedy and so before I knew it I was approaching 800m and the snow line was reached. Up until that point it had been quite good fun knowing that I was the first person of the day on the hill but with the path disguised by fresh snowfall the higher reaches soon became very difficult. A few deep breaths and a little bit of careful scouting meant that I soon found the way but it was still an extra challenge made even more testing by the thickening cloud cover. At the top, the marker cairn was fantastically decorated by swirling ice and snow patterns but the strong (and bitter) wind meant that it couldn't be enjoyed for long!
On the descent I found a better path, and probably the best one, which was easier to see from above and then followed my bootprints from the way up, although I did eventually cross paths with a fellow walker who was then going to enjoy the peak all to themselves. To finish off my day I spotted some heath milkwort, round-leaved sundew and butterwort along the side of the forestry track at the base of the hill, before a refreshing cup of tea from the cafe at Inveruglas car park.
Gargantuan Tribe
Mountain Walker

Munros:31   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:58
Wainwrights:22   

Re: All alone on Ben Vane

Postby Gavin Canavan » Mon May 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Great report, sounds like you had a lovely day and it’s good that the cloud and icy winds didn’t dampen your spirits; I'm hoping to do this hill in a few weeks, get some photos up! :)
Gavin Canavan
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   

Re: All alone on Ben Vane

Postby weescotsman » Mon May 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Did this one yesterday in glorious sunshine and a light breeze, didn't even see a whiff of snow so must have fresh overnight. For all that it's the smallest munro in terms of height, it's not the easiest with the party I was in taking several breaks due to the steep ascent. Glad to have got it out of the way.....
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland