walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bridge of Orchy - Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Bridge of Orchy - Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Postby Mountainlove » Tue May 22, 2012 11:23 am

Route description: Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 19/05/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1272m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Getting a cold on Friday is just cruel, :( :( :( so my plan to camp all weekend did not work out...saying that..high winds and arctic temperatures and rain on Friday evening didn't help either. Nursing myself with fresh orange juice all weekend I was finally down to a cough which made me sound like chain smoker in the morning, :shock: but decided that it would not ruin my weekend any longer and that I would try to walk the stupid cold off!

Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain was a pair I had my eyes on for a while and so after quickly packing the bags we head up north by 9am.

The walk is done in a round, which is great and I opted for the long walk in first - good warm up and be to
honest I don't like long walk outs at the end. The small dirt road to the car park was easy to find - but probably also easy to miss and we parked the car at the farm and the old tower.
We left the car and making our way through a field of cows and sheep. Walking through farm animals never bothered me and my cough fits made sure the animals kept their distance. :lol: :lol: From there it was a pleasant easy walk along a burn.

DSC00732.JPG
Cows on the way

DSC00734.JPG
cute calf

Even though the path continues east you will come across a sign which indicates to the path up the hill and you will only need to follow the signposts up the hill. As the day was beautiful and sunny we were soon in T-shirts ..summer at last!

DSC00737.JPG
old ruin on the way

DSC00739.JPG
The path looking back

DSC00741.JPG
The sign up the hill

DSC00742.JPG

DSC00752.JPG

DSC00749.JPG
The burn

DSC00760.JPG
On the way up the gully with the loch behind me

The walk up the hill along the burn is pretty and easy and reaching the loch we took another break.
The suggested route up Beinn a'Chreachain is by following a faint path to the left hand site of the loch, but
I had decided on the quicker way up and so we walked around the loch and made our way up the left gully.
A lot less exiting than I hoped for (maybe getting too used to gullies? ) but a lot quicker indeed.

Reaching the top we turned left and walked up to the summit cairn. Sitting down and enjoying the views we saw that Ben Nevis and the Cairngorms were still covered in a lot of snow and the views were superb.
After about 20 min we were joined by another couple who were kind enough to share a wee dram of malt with us :D :D (mental note to self - bring hip flask next time) 8) After chatting to them we said our good byes and a wee while after they left we followed the path up to Beinn Achaladair.

DSC00764.JPG

DSC00784.JPG

DSC00768.JPG

Walking up to Beinn Achaladair was pretty easy and finally I felt that all the hillwalking had paid off and my
hill fitness was back in track (even with a cough and a cold)...on the other hand Marco felt what it means not to go hillwalking for a month...(the revenge of the mountains when you abandon them :D :D and he was struggling behind me.

As it started to become a joke between us that he is always the one who complains on the way up mountains, I told him (in Billy Connelys style) that I would bite his bum if we would not shut up moaning. :twisted: :silent: :wtf:
I don't think he expected me to stick to my words...as a few minutes later I did what I treated to do. :lol: :silent: :lol:
I had to do a wee sprint up the hill to get away from him (after he stopped screaming and I noted that at least the pain in his backside would take away the pain in his legs lol) :lol: :lol: :lol:

DSC00777.JPG
One feels the pain

DSC00781.JPG

DSC00784.JPG

With a grin on my face I walked on, listening to the curses of revenge behind me. Afterwards it was not long until we reached the top of Beinn Achaladair. From the top you can either walk along the path and follow the burn back, or walk down until you reach the shoulder and head straight down to the farm.

Again we opted for the quickest route down, which was indeed a knee killer but with the advantage to loose height quickly.There is no path to follow but on a clear day it is pretty easy and straightforward. We reached the car 7.5h after leaving it and with all the long breaks it felt like 2 pretty easy Munros to climb.
Attachments
DSC00774.JPG
Beinn Achaladair in the distance
DSC00766.JPG
Last edited by Mountainlove on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Bridge of Orchy - Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachai

Postby jonny616 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 am

Nice one. I did these in similar weather, had a couple of beers in my bag. Sat on the flat ridge looking over Rannoch & had a cold one bliss :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby dooterbang » Tue May 22, 2012 11:48 am

Moaning on the hills...shameful :lol:

Nice walk this, was my 1st winter walk few years back.

Hope your cold has cleared and your camping agin soon.

I was wild camping in the Fisherfields all weekend...bloody cold it was!!!!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Mountainlove » Tue May 22, 2012 12:29 pm

jonny616 wrote:Nice one. I did these in similar weather, had a couple of beers in my bag. Sat on the flat ridge looking over Rannoch & had a cold one bliss :lol: :lol:

A cold beer on top of a Munro...there is nothing better!! Wish they could invent a can which stays cold (like the cans of coffee which get hot) Saying that havent seen them for ages!!

dooterbang wrote:Moaning on the hills...shameful :lol:
Nice walk this, was my 1st winter walk few years back.
Hope your cold has cleared and your camping agin soon.
I was wild camping in the Fisherfields all weekend...bloody cold it was!!!!

Wild camping sounds great ...but not so much fun in the cold! If weather holds I am away for a week next week..keeping all fingers and toes crossed!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Tue May 22, 2012 4:42 pm

Bum-biting, bikinis - just where do you go from here?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby monty » Tue May 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Nice report Mountainlive. Love the two early photos with the trees. Bikinis, Bum biting, whatever next :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby Mountainlove » Thu May 24, 2012 8:10 am

kevsbald wrote:Bum-biting, bikinis - just where do you go from here?

monty wrote:Nice report Mountainlive. Love the two early photos with the trees. Bikinis, Bum biting, whatever next :lol: :lol:

Lol not planning anything, but off a week camping and hillwalking by myself up north from this weekend...Thats everyone been warned :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland