walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Isle of Rum Cuillin traverse and a night in Dibidil Bothy

Isle of Rum Cuillin traverse and a night in Dibidil Bothy

Postby mountainstar » Tue May 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Route description: Rum Cuillin traverse

Corbetts included on this walk: Ainshval, Askival

Fionas included on this walk: Trallval

Date walked: 14/05/2012

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 22.3 km

Ascent: 1943m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Isle of Rum Cuillin traverse and a night in Dibidil Bothy. May 2012.
It had been a few years since we had been to the Isle of Rum, this would be my third trip over to the Island.
The first visit was when I was bagging the Corbett’s in July 1996. The second time was in May 2005 when I took Ele over for her first visit for a couple of nights, we had one night in the Castle hostel and one in Guirdil Bothy. On that occasion there was no time to visit Dibidil Bothy, one of only 2 MBA Bothys in the Highlands and Islands that I have not visited up to now, so it was time to go back again to finally “bag” this elusive Bothy :D .
Having mentioned to our friends Keith and Carol that we were going, they said that they would like to join us as their last visit turned out to be a disaster, with all attempts to walk anywhere defeated by gales and driving rain, in fact even getting off the Island was a problem when the ferry was delayed by a day to let the storm die down slightly.
A few days before we set off for Scotland Keith found via Facebook that one of his mates and his friend would also be going over to Rum on our ferry, stop the night in Dibidil Bothy and do the Cuillin traverse the next day, weather permitting, so the 4 of us would be having some company.
We stopped over in K & C’s house en route to the Highlands on the Sat night, the next day the weather took a change for the worse, with heavy rain set for 24 hours, so a hostel in Kinlochleven was hastily booked instead of camping in the Red Squirrel campsite, this gave us a chance to see the weather for the week ahead on the TV in the hostel…it was not good with rain set for Wed onwards, again we changed our plans, instead of 4 nights on Rum, we would just stop for the first two nights (we already had a cabin booked for the Tues night), so missing out on a night in Guirdil Bothy and wild-camping at Kilmory Bay on the north coast.

Day 1 Monday 14th May 2012.
Kinloch to Dibidil Bothy

8.8k. 5.47m.
Accent 353m Decent 325m
Time 3.15hrs

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day one route.

Weather. Sunny periods, some light showers, cold.
We caught the 10.15am Ferry from Mallaig which travels via Eigg then arrives at Rum at 12.45pm. Two police were on the ferry, and disembarked at Eigg, I quipped to the others “do you think that they have been scrambled to Eigg?” :lol:
We met Mark and Andy on the ferry, once on Rum they left ahead of us as we had to off-load some gear, food and booze (lots of! :shock: ) at the Information centre for our return the next day.
Once that was sorted we were away by 1.15pm for Dibidil Bothy.
The path for Dibidil leaves the village heading south and climbs to 220m some distance from the coast, it stays high for a few miles before dropping down nearer to the coast again as it nears the Bothy, having taken our time on the walk, we arrived at our home for the night at around 4.30 pm.
The Bothy sits in a lovely rocky bay with great views to Eigg and the Mainland to the east.
Only yards from the Bothy a great deep fissure is encountered…not a place for sleep walking! :shock:
Once unpacked we wondered down to the rocky bay where we hoped to find some drift wood, sadly we didn’t, so it was a fireless night that evening, but we had a good time with the usual alcoholic merriment that comes with Bothy nights. :)

Approaching Eigg on the Ferry.

An Sgurr, Eigg

Rum Cuillin from the ferry

Leaving Kinloch

Leaving Kinloch

Leaving Kinloch

Hallival

East Coast path

East Coast path

East Coast path

First view of Dibidil Bothy

Dibidil Bothy

Dibidil Bothy

Fissure by Dibidil Bothy

View north from Dibidil Bothy

View north from Dibidil Bothy

View south from Dibidil Bothy

Passing shower and rainbow, Eigg

First brew, Dibidil Bothy

Day 2. Tuesday 15th May.
Dibidil to Kinloch via Sgurr nan Gillian (764m) Ainshval (812m) Trallval (702m) Askival (781m) and Hallival (722m)

13.3km, 8.3m.
Accent 1590m
Time 7:40mins

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day two route.

Weather. Mainly sunny, one snow shower, freezing up high.
A lovely morning with blue skies greeted us, so the Rum Cuillin traverse was on. :D
Ele and Carol would return to Kinlock via the coastal path again, with somewhat heavier packs than they would normally carry, with us lightening ours to make the total accent of 1590m somewhat easier.
Mark and Andy were still having their brew as we left at 8.50am. (They left 15 minutes later)
We took the path south up the hillside behind the Bothy, then at the high point we left the path to climb very steeply up to our first summit of the day Sgurr nan Gillian (10.30am), a great viewpoint with the whole ridge revealing itself ahead. After a break we followed the wide ridge to the 759m summit north-west of Sgurr nan Gillian, by now we just knew this was going to be a classic day. :D
Ainshval was our next mountain which is one of Rums two Corbett’s.
By the time we had reached Ainshval (11.15am) Mark and Andy had caught us up. We all headed down the rocky and steep north face of Ainshval, missing the main route somehow and found ourselves scrambling down some difficult craggy ground to the west of the correct route down. Once at the Bealach an Fhuarain me and Mark climbed directly to Rum’s only Graham Trallval which looked very steep and rocky from the bealach, but a good scrambling path soon got us to the summit in around 20 minutes.
Climbing Trallval was another reason to visit Rum once again, as I don’t think that I actually went over it the last time I did these mountains (not that I’m bagging Grahams…honest! :? ) I probably (can’t remember :? ) bypassed this peak on the south east-side (which Keith and Andy did also did).
From Trallval airy summit we dropped to Bealach an Oir, passing many burrowed Manx shearwater nests on the grassier east ridge as we descended, they are birds of the open ocean, which breed at heights of around 400m on the Rum Cuillin. Burrowing nesters, they arrive at night to feed the chicks. In the darkness they make distinctive calls, and local people used to believe these were the souls of dead sailors crying out.
Another big climb leads to Rum’s highest Corbett Askival, half way up we caught up with Keith and Andy again, who told us of a near miss Andy had with a boulder half his size, which rolled away under him as he hopped on it, he very quickly he had to jump clear saving it rolling over him! :shock: I reassured him that we would have been able to free him as I had a sharp penknife with me! :lol: (as in ….Between a rock and hard place/27 hours)
On our way up we had our only snow shower of the day, but by the time we reached the summit blue skies were above us again (1.45pm).
More scrambling leads down from Askival to a lovely short lived rocky ridge which leads to the bealach, one final scramble leads through the crags to the final summit of the day Hallival (2.45pm). Here again we saw dozens of nests of the Manx Shearwaters,
We hung around here for some time taking in the great views.
We all dropped north-west to Bealach Bairc-mheall where we left Mark and Andy who were heading for Guirdil Bothy that night. From the bealach we picked up the path that leads down the corrie back to Kinloch (4.30pm).
That night we had booked one of the wishbone camping cabins, which are very basic but fully insulated and double glazed, each cabin has four single mattresses and solar lighting.
So that was our Rum trip over with, an Island I would thoroughly recommend anyone going to, the Rum traverse is up there with any other in Scotland.
It was sunny on the Wed morning, but as we caught the ferry at 11.50am the skies had clouded over and rain then set in during the afternoon, which continued for around 48 hours, so at least we had made the right decision to leave when we did, not that the next few days were wasted, as we walked to Tarbet bunkhouse on Loch Nevis (15 mile return) for a night, and then had a night in Leacraithnaith Bothy near to Lochaline, Morvern.

Here are the pictures from our traverse of the Rhum Cuillin. Thanks to Keith Harper for letting me use some of his (indicated by KH)

Morning, Dibidil Bothy

Morning, Dibidil Bothy

Leaving Dibidil Bothy

The climb to Sgurr nan Gillean

Eigg from Sgurr nan Gillean

Eigg from Sgurr nan Gillean

The slopes to Sgurr nan Gillean

Panorama from Sgurr nan Gillean

View north from Sgurr nan Gillean

View west from Sgurr nan Gillean

Not a bad viewpoint, Sgurr nan Gillean (KH)

Sgurr nan Gillean north ridge

759m summit north of Sgurr nan Gillean

Dropping off Sgurr nan Gillean

Scramble down Sgurr nan Gillean

Hallival & Askival

On Trallvall, with Sgurr nan Gillean to rhs

Askival from above Bealach an Oir

On ridge to Askival

Snow shower, Glen Dibidil below

Askival summit

Skye & Hallival from Askival

Skye Cuillin & Hallival from Askival

Ridge to Hallival

Trallval and Askival from Hallival

Hallival summit

Looking back from Hallival

Manx Shearwater nest on Hallival

Inside a Manx Shearwaters’ nest (KH)

Panorama south from Hallival

Skye & Kinloch from Hallival

Keith & Andy approach Hallival

Keith, Andy, Mark and me on Hallival summit

Mark & Andy leave us at Bealach Bairc-mheall (KH)

Refreshing back at Kinloch!

Our Wishbone “shed”, Kinloch

And here is my video of our trip…..
http://youtu.be/bdZRfwjUP0o
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Re: Isle of Rum Cuillin traverse and a night in Dibidil Both

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue May 22, 2012 12:20 pm

Just brilliant Alan :D . Loved the pics and report and that bothy looks quite nice too :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue May 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Great report Alan and some fabulous photos :thumbup:

That bothy looks to be in a wonderful spot.....how I envy you :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue May 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Brilliant stuff, what a beautiful area with stunning photographs :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Lenore » Tue May 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Great report! I'm heading to rum this summer and am debating whether to include dibidil bothy in my plans. Have read the path over is a bit tricky (especially river crossings); how did you find it?
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby malky_c » Tue May 22, 2012 2:58 pm

You can really go off some people you know :wink: :lol:

I'm going to come back and look at this properly when I'm at home :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mgmt! » Tue May 22, 2012 4:55 pm

fantastic report mountainstar, this looks like a great trip to undertake, pictures are great, think a trip here is on my to do list, hope i get the same weather.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Tue May 22, 2012 5:09 pm

Excellent report and pictures Mountainstar. Superb :D
monty

Postby jonny616 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 pm

Fantastic stuff :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Essan » Tue May 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Great report Alan :thumbup:

I really must get over to Rum one of these days! Dibidil is looking good :)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby mountainstar » Tue May 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Lenore wrote: Have read the path over is a bit tricky (especially river crossings); how did you find it?

The path is fine, there are 2 river crossings, both of which could be problematic or impossible in spate, but we found them ok to cross, and it had rained heavily for about 18hrs the day before we got there.
Thanks to everyone else for the good comments. :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Lenore » Tue May 22, 2012 9:16 pm

mountainstar wrote:The path is fine, there are 2 river crossings, both of which could be problematic or impossible in spate, but we found them ok to cross, and it had rained heavily for about 18hrs the day before we got there.

Thanks a lot for the info. Too bad you had to shorten your trip a bit, but I'm glad that you still got those awesome two days out of it!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Tue May 22, 2012 9:53 pm

An absolute belter of a report :D :D :D :D :D
I have always wanted to go to Rum and know I know even more why...... :-D :thumbup:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Amazing video Alan & a stunning part of Scotland.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 22, 2012 11:06 pm

What a fantastic trip - really enjoyed reading about it :thumbup: Cracking site for a bothy - have never used a bothy so far but this certainly whets the appetite - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland