walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Glen Way

Great Glen Way

Postby Lenore » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Route description: Great Glen Way

Date walked: 20/07/2003

Time taken: 6 days

Distance: 117 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a pleasant enough hike, done in 6 days at quite a leisurely pace. After having previously walked on Knoydart, in Kintail, through Glen Liechd and Glen Affric on the same trip, the Great Glen Way was a bit underwhelming. I wouldn't say I felt disappointed - completing the long coast to coast trip still gave me some sense of achievement, but it wasn't very exciting. I definitely prefer rougher terrain and more quietude!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Great Glen Way

Postby trekker53 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Lenore.
Your right the 1st half of the trip was good hiking terrain, but the GGW is just an extended walk in the park.
Keep to the mountain tracks. Far better.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby aebruce40 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Certainly was a 'walk in the park' but a very enjoyable one with some stunning views. Having done the WHW last year we thought we would be disappointed but other than the lack of challenge factor we really enjoyed this walk. Open to suggestions for next years walk. Same challenge level as WHW! Cheers Ann
aebruce40
Mountaineer

Postby Lenore » Mon May 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi Ann,
Yes, pretty loch views for sure. Was just looking at some trail descriptions myself for the future. However, I kinda like the idea of creating my own long distance trail by stringing together several shorter walks as described on WH. Have done that before (without using the WH descriptions though, glad to have found this resource!). Read something about the sutherland trail (was that it?), seemed cool, though not official and haven't find too much info on it yet. Unofficial Skye trail sounds superb as well!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby aebruce40 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:03 am

There are so many new walks popping up it's difficult to choose. We are like you and would consider joining walks together. At the moment we are doing the Rob Roy Way in sections over a few weekends and then moving onto the Mary Queen of Scots Way. Both are close enough for us to manage this way without using up lots of holidays!
aebruce40
Mountaineer

Postby Lenore » Tue May 22, 2012 2:44 pm

Ooh jealous of that! As I have to fly to get to Scotland I need at least a week off to make any trip over worthwhile. Looking forward to my 4 weeks this summer though :D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby Rekrab » Wed May 23, 2012 9:26 am

The SUW is a BIG challenge. no stunning views just 212 miles of pain.

MacKenzie.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby Kevin29035 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Rekrab wrote:The SUW is a BIG challenge. no stunning views just 212 miles of pain.

MacKenzie.

Hahahaha - aye quite right. But at 40kms a day you would say that. "Self inflicted torture" imo.

I still haven't been back for East... maybe one day soon.

Sorry for the minor derail. :D
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Lenore » Thu May 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Kevin29035 wrote:
Rekrab wrote:The SUW is a BIG challenge. no stunning views just 212 miles of pain.

MacKenzie.

Hahahaha - aye quite right. But at 40kms a day you would say that. "Self inflicted torture" imo.

I still haven't been back for East... maybe one day soon.

Sorry for the minor derail. :D

40k a day?! Were you going for a speed record or just not enough days off to complete it? I'd probably keel over half way through if I attempted that! :D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby brodiedillon303 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:29 am

mmmmm.......... i have been contempating doing the great glen way but like you i dont think it will be that challenging. id be as well walking in my own area of angus as the terrain here is challenging. glad you confirmed my feelings about the walk. i'll give it a miss for a while and look for something more varied. the skye trail looks to fit the bill and your hebrides walk has a good mix. for me the whw had the balance of challenge but i'll have to research to find similar or better. take it easy :wink:
brodiedillon303

Postby Lenore » Thu May 31, 2012 7:45 pm

brodiedillon303 wrote:mmmmm.......... i have been contempating doing the great glen way but like you i dont think it will be that challenging. the skye trail looks to fit the bill and your hebrides walk has a good mix. :

Think the GGW is a really excellent walk for those who are not so comfortable with roughing it or a bit intimidated with the idea of being far away from towns and people. I didn't realize until I walked the trail, that I am NOT such a person.

The skye trail sounds absolutely awesome to me as well. Quite a step up in level, though. I'll see how this summer's walking goes and might want to do the skye trail next year. Or just link up several skye walks myself to create a through hike. We'll see.

What part of Scotland is Angus?
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby brodiedillon303 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 pm

The skye trail sounds absolutely awesome to me as well. Quite a step up in level, though. I'll see how this summer's walking goes and might want to do the skye trail next year. Or just link up several skye walks myself to create a through hike. We'll see.

What part of Scotland is Angus?[/quote]
Angus is North East lotsa countryside.also about 40 mins from the glens then you have the pick of as many walks and hills as you want. See angus walks in the Highlands section of this site. Varied and beautiful. Will take me a while to get fed up with this area (dont think i will actually :D ) see ya.
brodiedillon303

Postby Lenore » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:57 am

brodiedillon303 wrote: Angus is North East lotsa countryside.also about 40 mins from the glens then you have the pick of as many walks and hills as you want. See angus walks in the Highlands section of this site. Varied and beautiful. Will take me a while to get fed up with this area (dont think i will actually :D ) see ya.

Sounds good! :D
Lenore
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes