walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ladhar Bheinn via Kinloch Hourn

Ladhar Bheinn via Kinloch Hourn

Postby Les Stuart » Mon May 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Date walked: 18/05/2012

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Friday 18th May,four of us drove to Kinloch Hourn and about 3.30pm set off by foot to Barrisdale where we had accommodation booked at the Stables in Barrisdale. Earlier in the day a further two friends had kayaked from Kinloch Hourn along the Loch too Barrisdale and on the four of us arriving, they had the the stove burning which supplied the heating and hot water.
IMG_5049.jpg
The start

IMG_5050.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5055.jpg

IMG_5056.jpg
Ladhar Bheinn

There was some excellent views as we walked along the path beside the Loch though we had two high passes to climb and in normal conditions would have been easy though with the heavy rucksacks ladden with food clothing and bedding it began too take its toll as we neared Barrisdale.

Next Morning we were up sharp and in brilliant sunshine set off for Ladhar Bheinn heading west for Coire Dhorrcail.
IMG_5058.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg
Barrisdale Bay

IMG_5063.jpg
Beinn Sgritheall

We followed the path into the corrie climbing steadly then across the burn to begin the steep climb up onto the ridge of Drum a Choire Odhair.
IMG_5064.jpg
The Ridge

IMG_5068.jpg
A rest after the slog up to the ridge

Once on the ridge we headed to the summit of Stob a Choire Odhair where we got a great view of the Cuillin in Skye.
IMG_5069.jpg
The Cuillin of Skye

From the summit we dropped down then began the climb to take us to the Ladhar Bheinn ridge. This was a steep climb and as we gained height the path had patches of wet snow and I just took my time to make sure my footing was secure as I did not fancy following down the steep face to my right.
IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5071.jpg

The path to Ladhar Bheinn summit was fairly easy with great views all around and the usual group photo at the summit.
IMG_5072.jpg
The summit in sight

IMG_5074.jpg
The Summit
#
IMG_5076.jpg
The Summit from the Trig Point

IMG_5077.jpg
Ladhar Bheinn Ridge

IMG_5078.jpg
Loch Hourn

We set off east along the Ladhar Bheinn ridge and once past the easy part began the steep up and downs. Passing over Corrie Dhorrcail and heading for the 849 point before dropping down the Coire a Phull to Mam Barrisdale. By now my legs had gone and was glad to see the path that would take us to Barrisdale with a hot bath!! and food.
We walked out on the Sunday, again in sunny weather and though a hard weekend it was thoroughly enjoyable with good company.
Attachments
IMG_5072.jpg
Ladhar Bheinn Summit
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Ladhar Bheinn via Kinloch Hourn

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon May 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Good stuff, i was in Knoydart 3 weeks ago so this report brings back very happy memories even though it's from the Barrisdale end :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Les Stuart » Tue May 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good stuff, i was in Knoydart 3 weeks ago so this report brings back very happy memories even though it's from the Barrisdale end :D

Yes it is a wonderfull part of the country with the rugged scenery.
Les Stuart

Postby monty » Tue May 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Great photos Les. An area I need to visit. Looks superb. :D
monty

Postby Les Stuart » Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 pm

monty wrote:Great photos Les. An area I need to visit. Looks superb. :D

It is a very rugged area with great scenery and worth staying a few nights to take it all in.
Les Stuart

Postby GariochTom » Wed May 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Very nice pictures, it looks a stunning area. :)

Looking forward to visiting in August - we have booked the Whitehouse in Barisdale. We're planning to walk in from Kinloch Hourn, do the munros over the weekend then walk to Inverie and take a boat back to Kinloch Hourn!

Out of interest, how long did it take you to walk from Kinloch Hourn to the Stables?
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby Les Stuart » Wed May 23, 2012 7:04 pm

GariochTom wrote:Very nice pictures, it looks a stunning area. :)

Looking forward to visiting in August - we have booked the Whitehouse in Barisdale. We're planning to walk in from Kinloch Hourn, do the munros over the weekend then walk to Inverie and take a boat back to Kinloch Hourn!

Out of interest, how long did it take you to walk from Kinloch Hourn to the Stables?

In decent weather it is spectacular. It took about 3 hours for the walk in to Barrisdale. We did the other two Munros from Inverie two years ago hence the in and out from Kinloch Hourn. Have a good trip in August.
Les Stuart

Postby GariochTom » Wed May 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks, that's useful to know for our planning :)
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland