walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First walkhighlands Route.

First walkhighlands Route.

Postby psticks » Thu May 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Route description: Birnam Hill, Birnam

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Birnam Hill - King's Seat

Date walked: 24/05/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 404m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi all,
Me and "She who must be obeyed" are both newbies. Because of the fantastic weather and well marked route we decided to do Birnham Hill as our first jaunt. What can I say, great weather, stunning views and the first of many more.
DSCN7259.JPG

DSCN7265.JPG
Nice little waterfall on the way up.

We took the left fork and walked the short distance to Stair Bridge.
DSCN7266.JPG
View from Stair Bridge.

DSCN7277.JPG
We gave the dangerous wildlife a wide berth!!

When we got the top we did the photo opportunity (Rest! LOL!) ham roll and soaked in the sun and thought, it dosnt get any better than this.
DSCN7282.JPG
Cracking views at the top.

DSCN7286.JPG
Dunkeld on the trip down

All in all a great walk to break our duck. Whats next? any recommendations?
Cheers Psticks & She who must be Obeyed.
psticks
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: First walkhighlands Route.

Postby gaffr » Thu May 24, 2012 6:24 pm

That's what is fine about this site. :clap: We all have the ability to instantly dip into the information of routes that many of us have never trod. :D Don't listen to any of us who think that we tread more important hills just get on and enjoy. I'm sure that the information given for these walks is well researched and reliable. :)
Birnam hill.....h'mm must be somewhere near to Dunkeld.....testing me now!...Perthshire? Look up walks....highlands... and there it is. All you need to have a good day out.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby madasa mongoose » Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Birnam Hill is a great little hill and, on a fine day, has stunning views. Just up the A9 a bit is the Hermitage - definitely worth a visit for the Braan waterfalls. And for a longer walk (on easy, waymarked paths), I'd suggest the circuit via Loch Ordie taking in Deuchary Hill - another great viewpoint. Lots of other options too. Spoilt for choice in Perthshire!
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Postby psticks » Fri May 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, yep, the site is a mine of information and I cant believe how many walks are literally on our doorstep. I have found a couple we can walk to from home.(only lived in Perth for 18 years! Doh!) Will probably keep them on hand for bad weather days when it would be prudent to stay close to home or at low level. :D
Learning to ski at 50 last year and a couple of days skiing, I finaly got what it was all about, being in the hills. :roll:
psticks
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland