walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Munro failure at our first attempt...sigh.

A Munro failure at our first attempt...sigh.

by RicKamila » Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Route description: Loch Kinord circuit, Muir of Dinnet

Date walked: 24/05/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8.4 km

Ascent: 100m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A Munro failure at our first attempt...sigh.

Postby monty » Fri May 25, 2012 9:56 am

Interesting rport Rick............ Never mind not bagging you look like you had a nice day round the loch anyway. Nice pictures :)
monty

Postby RicKamila » Fri May 25, 2012 10:05 am

monty wrote:Interesting rport Rick............ Never mind not bagging you look like you had a nice day round the loch anyway. Nice pictures :)

Thanks Monty. Yes, we did end up having a nice day out in the end.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby RicKamila » Sat May 26, 2012 11:55 am

BlackPanther wrote:Guys, I think that every hillwalker has moments like that. And it is better to be safe than sorry :wink:
Last year, me and my second half climbed a Munro by accident... We intended to do Fuar Tholl, a Corbett in Torridon, but we missed the right path (it was a misty day) and only realised half way up Sgorr Ruadh that we were on the wrong mountain! :lol: :lol: A couple of months ago, for a change, we parked at the wrong layby on Drummochter Pass and started our walk up the wrong glen! And all this with Kevin having over 20 years of experience with navigating on the hills...

:lol:

Kamila just reminded me of a map reading failure we had at Clais Fhearnaig when we nearly attempted to cross a river that was in full flow, so we have had one other "failure" before. Had convieniently forgotten about this one, thanks Kamila :oops:

Thanks for your comments guys. I think the thought of heading up a Munro without a map and what potentially lay ahead was what put us off and made us turn back, but looking at the map a few more times, we could have probably done it, but Im always a head over heart thinker. As Graeme said, in a few years we'll be laughing at this one once we've increased our count.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland