walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond (my 1st Munro - June 2010)

Ben Lomond (my 1st Munro - June 2010)

Postby Gary1904 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 19/06/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2 years ago I was talked into doing a hill climb, non other than Ben Lomond. I had never looked into mountain walking and not even average hill walking, I turned up at the foot of the mountain with jeans and trainers on and I had no idea what lay ahead of me. At the time I was a smoker, very unfit and I thought it would be a breeze doing this mountain, how wrong I was to be .....

We started our climb on a perfect day, no clouds, sun everywhere and very little breeze, I had some sandwiches with me and 2 litres of water (they didn't last long) I was with two friends and they soon went ahead of me but that allowed me to take in what I was experiencing, the views, the chats with people coming down the mountain, it was amazing to say the least. After 4 hours I finally reached the summit, with pure determonation, I made it and I had bagged my first Munro without even realising it, it was only after the climb that I researched it and back then is what gave me the bug to do it again. It's been 2 long years since I bagged my 2nd, but Ben Lomond will forever be in my memory of how wonderful these mountains are.
Attachments
1.jpg
Ben Lomond summit (i'm on the far left)
Gary1904
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland