walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Edra: A there and back

Beinn Edra: A there and back

Postby pgrizz » Sat May 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Date walked: 18/05/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Final day on Skye so I decided to walk somewhere I hadn’t been before and as we were stopping in a cottage called Ben Edra View; Beinn Edra seemed an obvious objective.
Drove the short way to Bealach Ollasgairte to find the car park empty except for the “food van”, so no problem finding a spot to park.
Not long after 9 o’clock everything checked off I set. Weather was damp, cold and windy: so windy that the trusted flat cap had to go into the bag otherwise I could envisage it gliding over the cliffs of Bioda Buidhe.
May 18th and gloves and lightweight Balaclava already on: they were on and off like a….you know what!!
The route is easy, simply follow the edge of the escarpment to Bioda Buidhe with it’s spectacular cliffs and the pinnacles of Dun Dubh and Druim an Ruma. The rock scenery is almost a match for the Quiraing but I wonder how many people actually venture in this direction. Walk Highlands' own route to Beinn Edra starts in Glen Uig: probably because this is a there and back.
Dropping down to Bealach nan Coisichian where there is some new fencing to stop the sheep falling down the gullies; respect for the fencers.
Next minor rise is Druim na Coille with spectacular views towards Quiraing and the mainland.
A small drop to Bealach Uige before the final slopes of Beinn Edra are ascended. The summit has fine views in all directions:south along the Trotternish Ridge, east to the mainland over Staffin Bay, west over Uig Bay and north to the Quiraing.
The top is furnished with a walled trig pillar which gave a bit of shelter to eat my Jaffa Cakes: my staple diet on the hills.
There were little patches of snow on the ground and by now it was snowing lightly.
Returned by the same route and met another walker at Bealach nan Coisichian but not another sole until I hit the fleshpots of the car park at Bealach Ollasgairte: it was now very full.
skye xd 001.ORF.jpg
The day's destination:Beinn Edra

skye xd 056.ORF.jpg
Pinnacles

skye xd 114.ORF.jpg
The Quiraing from Bioda Buidhe

skye xd 123.ORF.jpg
Staffin Bay seen beyond Loch Cleat and Cleat

skye xd 059.ORF.jpg
A view to the Quiraing

skye xd 060.ORF.jpg
Follow the escarpment

skye xd 062.ORF.jpg
Across the sea from Skye

skye xd 063.ORF.jpg
Bioda Buidhe

skye xd 065.ORF.jpg
Onward to Beinn Edra

skye xd 083.ORF.jpg
Loch Corcasgil

skye xd 086.ORF.jpg
Uig Bay and the Fairy Glen

skye xd 089.ORF.jpg
View from the summit: south

A fine walk deserving more recognition.
Last edited by pgrizz on Sat May 26, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pgrizz
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:143   

Re: Beinn Edra: A there and back

Postby mrssanta » Sat May 26, 2012 6:31 pm

what a remarkable place!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby soulminer » Sat May 26, 2012 6:49 pm

pgrizz wrote ;

I would agree with that :) Fascinating area,well photographed. A view to the Quiraing and across the sea from Skye are stunning :)
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby pgrizz » Sat May 26, 2012 7:08 pm

mrssanta wrote:what a remarkable place!

It is indeed. Two days before I wandered along to the Prison and Table on Quirang along with all the other daytrippers! This walk was heaven in comparison.
Thank you for taking the time to read my report and make a comment: most appreciated.
pgrizz
Mountain Walker

Postby pgrizz » Sat May 26, 2012 7:08 pm

soulminer wrote:
pgrizz wrote ;

I would agree with that :) Fascinating area,well photographed. A view to the Quiraing and across the sea from Skye are stunning :)
Cheers.

Thanks very much.
pgrizz
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland