walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill Of Fare by MTB

Hill Of Fare by MTB

Postby Alastair S » Sun May 27, 2012 10:46 am

Route description: Hill of Fare: southern circuit

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Fare

Date walked: 26/05/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Distance: 30.5km
Time taken: 3hr 20min
Ascent: 745m

20120526.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Hill Of Fare [MTB] elevation.jpg

Hill Of Fare [MTB] speed.jpg

I thought I'd make this report public just to warn folk not to take the bit of the route highlighted below as this part is total forestry hell - with metre wide & deep, water filled ruts with lots of fallen trees to get under, over & round. It took me 40mins to get though this 2km section.
Hill Of Fare bad bit.jpg

The rest of the route was all cycle-able bar the hard to find "summit" cairn of the Hill Of Fare (not that you can see much of it behind my MTB). You can also barely make out a bit of snow on the distant Cairngorms - a total contrast to just one week ago when there was snow cover down to 800m.
26052012019_edited-2.jpg
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Hill Of Fare by MTB

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun May 27, 2012 1:11 pm

wow. that initial ascent looks horrid!!

Great effort though. I'm getting myself back ont he bike a fair bit at the moment with a view to doing some hills with it
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Alastair S » Sun May 27, 2012 11:22 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:wow. that initial ascent looks horrid!!

All cycle-able doesn't mean non-stop though :lol: Took 3 or 4 breathers on this section. Once on the plateau the track is pretty good with some nice fast descents. Next time I'll make for the Meikle Tap top.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 28, 2012 5:22 am

Hey Alastair, good effort mate, but I feel I should say I told you so .....you even commented on my report :lol: sorry mate, great effort, got to say I feel for you, walking through that section was bad enough :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ajmccance » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 pm

I did the walk described by Chris W today. The route works very well and the views of the surrounding hills (Kerloch, Bennachie, Calchnaben, Mount Battock etc) are beautiful. The sea is visible too. The ascent up a very good path is easy (ca 1hr 40mins). The way back, as described, is harder work as the paths are roughish, partly through water erosion, partly neglect and tree growth and partly erosion due to feet and the ubiquitous mountain bike tyres. Am I alone in thinking they should only be allowed on specified biking tracks? My wife, who prefers an easy and obvious path, was flagging a touch towards the end, but we were still back at the car in 3 hrs 45 mins. Really nice walk and very few people. We saw just one biker all day, a couple of grouse and a roe deer.
ajmccance

Postby Benjaminnevis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:43 am

ajmccance wrote:I did the walk described by Chris W today. The route works very well and the views of the surrounding hills (Kerloch, Bennachie, Calchnaben, Mount Battock etc) are beautiful. The sea is visible too. The ascent up a very good path is easy (ca 1hr 40mins). The way back, as described, is harder work as the paths are roughish, partly through water erosion, partly neglect and tree growth and partly erosion due to feet and the ubiquitous mountain bike tyres. Am I alone in thinking they should only be allowed on specified biking tracks? My wife, who prefers an easy and obvious path, was flagging a touch towards the end, but we were still back at the car in 3 hrs 45 mins. Really nice walk and very few people. We saw just one biker all day, a couple of grouse and a roe deer.

I also followed Chris's route to hill of fare but after spending half an hour tramping through damp heather wee nae gaiters looking for the cairn i gave up only thing was loads oh rotten old shooting buts but i did the cairn in the photo attached.
Attachments
Hill of Fare.JPG
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland