walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A nice round of Cheviot Hills

A nice round of Cheviot Hills

Postby rdtoward21 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Comb Fell, Hedgehope Hill, The Cheviot

Date walked: 22/05/2012

Time taken: 6

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 815m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another great day out in my local hills. The weather was excellent, sunny and warm. I set off my Langleeford near Wooler towards my first hill of the day, Cheviot Summit.
1.JPG

The track is well worn and very easy to follow all the way to the summit. On the way up the last hill of the day, Hedgehope loomed into view
4.jpg

and an excellent view towards the coast half way up Cheviot
7.JPG

Just under 2 hours of hard walking the summit Cairn came into view
8.JPG

A good place to stop for light refreshment and a sneaky coffee. I pushed on feeling full of energy once I had a bite to eat. The track is still easy to follow with excellent views all around the Cheviots including Windy Gyle
10.JPG

and on towards Cushat Law and Bloodybush edge
11.JPG

Once the base of Cheviot is reached the track goes down to the left into the valley, a faint track continues along the fence line, follow this but it gets extremely boggy from here on in until the summit of Hedgehope is reached. This slog took about 2 hours and I did consider giving up and heading into the valley. The Summit of Comb fell is by far the worst with no track visible and no summit cairn, with extended views of peat bog as far as the eye can see :( , making walking hard going.
Half way up Hedgehope you are rewarded with a great view of Cheviot
13.JPG

and finally I reached the summit Cairn of Hedgehope and a well rewarded rest
14.JPG

I followed the path down and back into Langleeford in just under 6 hours. A good day in the hills all be it hard walking.
Attachments

Track_22-MAY-12 173152.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rdtoward21
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:7
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:15   

Re: A nice round of Cheviot Hills

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri May 25, 2012 1:21 pm

It is hard going on those boggy parts but I'm sure the views made it worthwhile :D
Excellent day's walk!!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun May 27, 2012 8:53 pm

The Cheviot is a hill that keeps nagging at my mind. I feel I should climb it due to it's status as the North East's highest point. The route you did there is the one I have in mind but I'm aware that there are restrictions on Dogs around Langleeford. I'm wondering if you noticed any signs?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby rdtoward21 » Sun May 27, 2012 11:51 pm

No I have not seen anything barring dogs from the Cheviot hills. It is a nice walk but tough due to very boggy sections.
rdtoward21
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:7
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:15   

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 28, 2012 1:14 am

Looks a great place, even if a little hard going through those boggy sections. Your reward was certainly well worth the effort :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland