walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

meall glas and sgiath chuil

meall glas and sgiath chuil

Postby davetherave » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 02/11/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Sunday 1st November 2009
Completed by. Dave and Wilson
Weather rain, rain and more rain, with poor visibility.
Distance. 18 km
Time. 7hrs 40 mins

Meall Glas and SgiathChuil

Starting Kenknock farm Glen Lochy

new.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Arrived at 7.10 am at parking area slightly past Kenknock farm, with the first signs of rain just starting to fall I assumed the met office weather report to be pretty spot on as it is normally pretty good……

Only one other vehicle parked up (a white stealth transit camper van) the guy had only just woke from a long peaceful sleep and was in the process of cooking some breakfast.

He had done the two munros yesterday and suggested I took the higher 4 x 4 track above the glen and head in the direction towards Badour, drop down into the Glen and cross the Bridge, and from there basically head south on the long gradual climb up to the summit of Meall glass.

From walkhighlands web site it states that the bridge at Lubchurran no longer exists, so I came prepared with a spare set of trainers packed in anticipation, but the guy in the white van suggested on taking the higher track which led me to believe the lower track running next to the river must have been flooded in one or more areas. (the higher track made sense)
low cloud from 4 x 4 track.JPG

low cloud again.JPG

So off I set, heading for the higher track and start marching towards Badour, approx 3km along the way I can see Lubchurran cottage in the distance minus the bridge! !. I continue along the track, then drop down into the glen and cross the bridge at Badour ready for the long climb up Meall Glas.
Badour bridge.JPG

Now the rains start, and never halt until I reach the car am now facing nearly 5hrs of misery ahead of me, and on top of that I bought a new pair of Asolo boots only 24 hrs previously and had only took the dog out for a 40 minute walk the night before to break them in. “ they will be fine “ I told my self.

All the burns that gather at the Coire Cheathaich were flowing very fast and were raging down the hill at pace,
waterfall.JPG

waterfall pool.JPG

a dejected Wilson.JPG

ive never seen so much water and seemed to be constantly jumping them and having to make detours round them. Just to carry on to the summit. Soon iam on the final steepish part of the climb with one last push I make it.
Meall Glas summit.JPG

Very wet, aching feet, miserable and no views I only decide on the summit pic and carry on immediately heading east off the summit dropping into the area between Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil and try to find shelter for 5 mins for a much needed bar of chocolate and to adjust the boots that are aching my feet. Soon the boots are on and am on my way trying to get my mind set on the tough slog ahead. Eventually I make it, blowing oot ma er-e and soaked to the skin like a drookit rat I just get a quick bearing and decide to head east skimming the east side of the tops unfortunately I encounter far to much bogs and marsh ground made much worse with all the rains. Then by keeping on the east bank of the Lubchurran burn make my escape, there was no point going over to the west bank as I would still have to cross the ford and this was not an option due to the fast flowing waters.

At one stage I drop down to river level east of the cottage and attempt a crossing (no danger) even the Allt Innis- Daimh was about 15 feet wide and fast flowing and I struggled with even with my poles for support. Wilson the beardie had problems negotiating it also.

We carry on the final 1.5 km or so hugging the south bank and soon reach the Kenknock Bridge and soon reach the car exhausted…………..
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: meall glas and sgiath chuil

Postby John Burgess » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi Dave,

I think you (and Wilson of course) deserve a medal for going anywhere near the hills on the day we had on Sunday :lol:

Well done on completing the route - nice report :D

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby monty » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Your a braver man than me going out on Sunday Dave :D Did you take your flippers and snorkel :shock:

What with new boots and terrible weather thats was some effort. Well done :D
monty

Postby kevsbald » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:28 pm

That poor dog doesnae deserve that abuse - am phoning the SSPCA! :lol:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby benno » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:41 pm

I reckon it's permanently raining on those hills. I had a similar day there this time last year, although I did them from the South.

Love the picture of dejected Wilson!
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby davetherave » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:08 pm

John Burgess wrote:I think you (and Wilson of course) deserve a medal for going anywhere near the hills on the day we had on Sunday

Believe me, if the dog dosnt get his day in the hills he is unbareable.. Shame about the day though.. :(

monty wrote:What with new boots and terrible weather thats was some effort. Well done

My feet held out just, both inner ankles were swollen.. No blisters to mention.. :D

kevsbald wrote:That poor dog doesnae deserve that abuse - am phoning the SSPCA!

Afraid its the other way round.. That dog is getting reported.!! :lol:

benno wrote:I reckon it's permanently raining on those hills. I had a similar day there this time last year, although I did them from the South.

Still a couple to do to finish this range. As Arnie says, I'll be back. :?
davetherave

Postby mountain coward » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:59 am

I've still got Creag Mhor to do and could do with some company on it if that's one of the ones you have left...

I always think people are super-brave to attempt both sides of that very deep bealach in one walk! I did Sgiath Chuil on it's own, in exactly the same weather - and hated it and found it a terrible slog... and then I did 'Ben Cheetah and his mate' (as I call them :) ) on a lovely day and thoroughly enjoyed it! I waded across the river at Lubchurran in bare feet and, if there was anyone in, I apologise as I swore loudly all the way across as the river-bed was agony in bare feet and it was a looong way! But when I exited Coire Cheataich via that impressive river you have in your pics (wasn't like that back in Spring) I found that other bridge - wish I'd known about it in the first place - would have been worth the extra short distance!
mountain coward

Postby davetherave » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi M.C
Your correct, Creag Mhor is still one i have to do and i plan to combine it with Beinn Heasgarnaich from Kenknock farm 2morro Sat 7th Nov , you are still welcome to join the dog and i although it is very short notice. :lol: .

Once the above 2 are complete, that will only leave me Beinn Challum to complete the range, but my main problem is that i will have to come back at some stage in the future as the wife has damaged her knee, and the steroide injection she recieved only got her through a couple more hills. Looks like she will possibly be needing minor surgery to rectify her problem.

So,,,,,, all the hills that i have completed without the wife, i will have to do again at some stage. Lucky me !!!!!! :(

PS.... keep your fingers crossed for better weather for me :lol: . according to the met office site i should be ok.
davetherave

Postby mountain coward » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:11 am

I'm gonna be sleeping off nights (as you can probably see from the time of this post (although all mine are in the wee small hours;-) )). I've done B. Heasgarnich anyway - and absolutely hated it! I found it another weary, miserable slog - same weather as I had for Sgiath Chuil. How the weather changes our moods and perception of our hills eh?
mountain coward

Postby Freewheelin » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:41 am

mountain coward wrote:absolutely hated it! I found it another weary, miserable slog

Did Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnaich as a doubler with big bruv and loved it. We both came down grinning like monkeys - altho' Matthew C does tend to have that look most of the time (especially when he's had too many of the blue smarties :D ).
Did Creag Mhor first in cold windless conditions - perfect!
Steep drop off, trudge thro' the bog and then up steep slope and knee deep snow to a gale on top of Heasgarnaich.
Loved it!
... even got to skid down patches of snow on Heasgarnaich on our backsides - fun, fun, fun!

As you say MC...

mountain coward wrote:How the weather changes our moods and perception of our hills eh?
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby stomper » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:18 pm

Meall Glass I like your photo's as its bl**dy typical of this mountain.Went to do it last Wed (2nd Dec) and got only as far as Meall Glass beag ( 50m Short) as it was a 100% whiteout. Did it from A84 (Crianlarich Road). Will atempt this again in Jan where no doubt it will be bad weather again
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby davetherave » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:54 pm

stomper wrote:Meall Glass I like your photo's as its bl**dy typical of this mountain.Went to do it last Wed (2nd Dec) and got only as far as Meall Glass beag ( 50m Short) as it was a 100% whiteout. Did it from A84 (Crianlarich Road). Will atempt this again in Jan where no doubt it will be bad weather again

All the best with yout attempt in Jan 2010, As for the 5 munros at the head of Glen Lochy it took me 3 miserable days to complete them but (meall glas and sgiath chuil) was the worst day of the lot.

Have a look at my reports for the other munros up glen lochy if you wish.

As for failing to reach the summit dont worry because we did exactly that 2day. Plan was to complete the 2 munros on the east side of the Drumochter pass and also the corbett An Dun....... was not to be, got as far as 100m short of the quarry about 2km short of our 1st munro Carn Na Caim and then we had to turn back, drifting snow, freezing wind,sleet,rain and zero viz.......horrible horrible day :(
davetherave

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland