walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Views from the lesser hills on Skye.

Views from the lesser hills on Skye.

Postby gaffr » Mon May 28, 2012 8:57 am

Route description: Kylerhea hills circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dearg Mhór (Broadford), Beinn na Caillich (Broadford), Beinn na Caillich (Kylerhea), Sgùrr na Coinnich

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Aslak

Date walked: 26/05/2012

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My promenade du dimanche lasted for two days this week-end :) I hadn't been out in the hills since the snows returned to the Cairngorms almost a month ago so needed to stretch my legs a bit. Toally unplanned but somehow ended up on Skye.....much easier nowadays with no ferries to hang around waiting for. :) From bealach Udal, the old man's way of reaching these hills, fine wee tops on both sides of the bealach. After visiting the two to the North I filled up with brew of sweet tea, changed into my trainers to get to Aslak a hill with two pleasant wee lochans. After a midge infested camp.....Scotland would be a much finer place without the scourge of these little irritants.....I went to the so called eastern red hills for a fine day out in the warmth without the wee beasts to bother me!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1 HPIM5992.jpg
HIgh up on Sgurr na Coinnich.
2 HPIM5996.jpg
Summit area on Coinnich.
3 HPIM5998.jpg
Summit view from Beinn na Caillich.
4 HPIM6020.jpg
Parking available beside the chambered cairn on the Torrin road.
5 HPIM6001.jpg
A choice of routes from here to the top.
6 HPIM6002.jpg
Perhaps shows the linkage between the two starting points for these hills.
6 HPIM6004.jpg
From the summit area of Caillich.
7 HPIM6013.jpg
Approaching the top of Beinn Dearg Mhor with the young men's traverse behind.....G Bh. to Gillean... and the old man's traverse in front....Belig to Blaven.
8  HPIM6015.jpg
The attraction of the Cuillin.
Last edited by gaffr on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Views from the lesser hills on Skye.

Postby davetherave » Mon May 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Your a lucky guy Gaffr, that was a well planned stealth trip you fitted in there.

you make a referance to (old man's traverse in front....Belig to Blaven) we very nearly tried that route, then at the last minute i did a last minute bit of research into it and realized we would have to cross the Matterhorn :lol: not a good idea with the dogs in tow.

Saying that, we just got back from a big days scrambling, they managed the Scramble up Sron na Creise before moving on to the Aonach Eagach ridge. :lol:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Views from the lesser hills on Skye.

Postby gaffr » Tue May 29, 2012 7:46 am

ref to the 'old man's traverse'

Yes you were right the 'getting onto Clach Glas' is not really a place that old Wilson would be comfortable with.....just about ok for an old man.....well it was three years ago :lol: The step up onto a rightwards traverse, seemingly into problems that you can't quite see, resolves itself once you are round the corner into a slabby climb upwards, as if, onto the apex of the roof on a house. :)
Regarding the Eastern Red Hills.......Those Elsies are fine tops to visit, no disrespect to FG who spent a great deal of time reseaching and catalogueing and expanding the list of smaller hills.....but my older generation came to enjoy these 'wee hills', albeit a much, much shorter list. The more 'well know' of these are included along with the book of Cortbetts.....hence the Lesser Corbetts and for the fun loving the L.C's.
Someone on the Forum asked about the terrain down to the bealach coire Sgreamhach from Beinn Dearg Mhor. I saw this for the first time on Sunday :shock: I thought at the time that there must be a Glamaig type race up here....the place is trashed? My thoughts were that it had to come from the Torrin direction :) since none of the other tops in this group show any such devastation. In fact paths in the area are to be searched for. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland