walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three Lawers of Relativity

Three Lawers of Relativity

Postby laconic surf » Mon May 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 26/05/2012

Time taken: 4.6 hours

Distance: 13.1 km

Ascent: 1148m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having originally planned to do the Cairnwell trio, the forecast for saturday was in on Wednesday evening - it was to be a scorchio. Somewhere more asthetic was needed - the Lawers range would do just nicely. I only had 5 hours to walk as I had to be back, I knew I could get Ghlas and Lawers done with plenty to spare. I could squeeze in one more but which? An Stuc would be the obvious answer as it's just a short walk on from the summit of Lawers, but I really wanted to do the scramble up the other side so decided to save it for the Lochan Nan Cat circuit. Looking at the map Meall Corranaich was just opposite Ghlas, although normally ascended from the other side with Meall a'Choire Leith. A bit of research suggested it presented it's best side towards Ghlas and a wee bit of scrambling would be needed. Sold. :D Leith can be ascended another day with its neighbouring corbett Meall nam Maigheach.
Pulled into the Lawers car park just after 11, busy but spaces available. Gear on - but i'd forgotten my hat :roll: Baldy heid was at risk of sunstroke/burn. Cream on, it was already sweltering as I made my way up the approach.

IMG_0853.JPG
First look at Beinn Ghlas

I hadn't yet decided which order to climb these so I decided to head along the bypass path knowing I would reach a junction where I could either turn east and head up Meall Corranaich or west up to Ghlas and Lawers. I soon caught up to two large groups of youths being marshalled by "drill sergeants" barking encouragement/orders :lol: I decided this would not make a relaxing walk and headed east towards Corranaich.

IMG_0865.JPG
Meall Corranaich from the bypass path

IMG_0876.JPG
Heading up Meall Corranaich

The ascent up Meall Corranaich was actually the highlight of the day. The path begins quite steeply before hands are needed for several sections with some really fun airy scrambling, nothing difficult just concentration needed to ensure the footing was safe as there is a little loose rock. A few people had stopped to watch from the path, probably wondering why this unhinged individuaI had left the path up to Lawers to go and scramble up this unknown mountain opposite :lol: Because of the gradient, height is reached really quickly, think it took about 25 minutes from the bypass path to the summit.

IMG_0878.JPG
steep path up

IMG_0889.JPG
Artistic cairn at summit

Nobody around at all up here. I could see the masses across on Ghlas/Lawers but not a soul in any other direction. Took on some fluids before heading down and joining back on to the path.

IMG_0893.JPG
across to Ghlas and Lawers

IMG_0895.JPG
Lawers with An Stuc on the left

The bypass has a nice gradient that pulls up to the juction meeting with the main path from Ghlas to Lawers. The sun was really beating down and energy was getting low so I decided to stop here and refuel. Once recharged I headed up the steep climb to the top of Lawers. I timed it that several large groups had come down and only two or three people were ahead of me. Whilst the path is not difficult to negotiate it is hard work, reaching the top and the highest point in the range was somewhat of a relief :crazy:
The views from the top were amazing, such a clear day with a wonderful blue sky.

IMG_0903.JPG
Cairn overlooking the rest of the range

IMG_0914.JPG
An Stuc, Meall Garbh and Lochan nan Cat

IMG_0905.JPG
Trig point overlooking Loch Tay

2 down one to go. The route down and across to Ghlas was beckoning - I was also the only one heading for it - most folk finishing their day were now heading for the bypass path and their cars. To be honest this was the easiest part of the day, legs were on autopilot and the pull up along the bealach barely registered. Nice view at the summit, third and final munro of the day in the bag.

IMG_0910.JPG
Loch Tay

IMG_0918.JPG
view to Beinn Ghlas

IMG_0929.JPG
Looking back to Ben Lawers

IMG_0937.JPG
Summit of Beinn Ghlas

All three munros completed for the day it was time to head down. I had pushed myself hard today and the heat was taking its toll. All I could think of was the cold ales in the fridge at home :lol:
The descent was punishing, another well kept stone path but hellish on the joints. I arrived back the car 4 hours 40 mins after leaving. Had a great day in the Lawers range in beautiful weather, but boy was I ready for that beer 8)
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: Three Lawers of Relativity

Postby jonny616 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Good idea to switch to the lawers range. Keep the cairnwell for easy winter hills. Nice photos 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby laconic surf » Tue May 29, 2012 5:54 pm

jonny616 wrote:Good idea to switch to the lawers range. Keep the cairnwell for easy winter hills. Nice photos 8)

Cheers Jonny, glad I switched too. Just amazing views on Saturday, worth the effort in the roasting heat and managed to escape with just minor sunburn :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Postby meangarry » Tue May 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Good stuff ls, I spied that you had climbed schiehallion and ben lomond and I was looking forward to edging back infront in the munro stakes last weekend. :wink: But alas as I was climbing ben vorlich it seems as though you were descending from this great trio of peaks. 5-4 to you sir! :lol: Also climbed ben lomond on friday, I'll be sure to add the reports soon.

No better feeling than autopilot! On descending ben vorlich I broke into a jog and the rocky music was playing in my head. :D Great feeling. :D :D :D
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Rudolph » Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 pm

That looks a fabulous day - very envious - the colour of the sky is amazing in your photos.

meangarry wrote:No better feeling than autopilot! . :D Great feeling. :D :D :D

Absolutely. I was descending on autopilot a while back when my legs stopped walking. I had no idea why .. surreal it was. I didn't know what was going on till I noticed an adder just ahead of me on the track. My eyes must have seen it and alerted legs before bothering to tell me about it.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Lenore » Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 pm

Love that vivid blue! Fun report, can just picture the kids and 'drill sergeants' and understand the need to get away :D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby laconic surf » Tue May 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Rudolph wrote:That looks a fabulous day - very envious - the colour of the sky is amazing in your photos.

Lenore wrote:Love that vivid blue!

Thanks Rudolph and Lenore, it's nice when nature throws up its own photoshop - nae adjusting of colours needed that day :D

meangarry wrote:Good stuff ls, I spied that you had climbed schiehallion and ben lomond and I was looking forward to edging back infront in the munro stakes last weekend. :wink: But alas as I was climbing ben vorlich it seems as though you were descending from this great trio of peaks. 5-4 to you sir! :lol:

Cheers G.
Lets see where next week takes us, I'm sure you'll be edging back ahead soon 8)
Looking forward to your reports mate, Vorlich is on the radar for a climb in the near future.
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Postby morag1 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:04 am

Another nice report and clear pictures which give a good idea of the walk to the summit

Where next I am wondering, feel sure it wont be long till you're up the Ben :think:
morag1

Postby monty » Wed May 30, 2012 10:48 am

A Nice report LS. Good decision to choose these instead of Glenshee. The views are superb. Sounded a bit busy though. :D
monty

Postby laconic surf » Wed May 30, 2012 11:42 am

morag1 wrote:Another nice report and clear pictures which give a good idea of the walk to the summit

Where next I am wondering, feel sure it wont be long till you're up the Ben :think:

Thanks Morag. No, i'm saving the Ben as I want to go up via CMD, think I might save it for number 50 to mark the occasion :D Think a wee trip to the Cairngorms is next ...

monty wrote:A Nice report LS. Good decision to choose these instead of Glenshee. The views are superb. Sounded a bit busy though. :D

Cheers Monty. Aye, was a bit busy. Thought i'd get it done in May, can't imagine what that hill is like on a saturday in July :shock:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland