walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg

Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg

Postby MiniRambo » Mon May 28, 2012 10:06 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 26/05/2012

Time taken: 8.2 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1718m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrrived in Fort William on Friday 25th May, having taken the day off work some time ago when we decided as a group to climb the ben. We stayed at the Clan McDuff hotel on the southern outskirts of Fort William and proved to be an excellent base for everyone.

The weather was absolutely amazing (31 deg C in F W) and so we stocked up with plenty of liquid as we were sure to need it.

P1000417.JPG
The view up Glen Nevis

P1000418.JPG
First view of the upper slopes

It was decided that my nephew Andrew and I would walk with the others along the Mountain Track to the Half Way Lochan and then take the path to the left and head arount into the Coire Leis. The others would carry on up the Mountain Track to the summit of Nevis.

P1000424.JPG
Entering Coire Leis

P1000427.JPG
Happy days!!

P1000430.JPG
Our first stop for refreshment

We soon left the crowds far behind us and made good progress towards the CIC hut. However, about 200 meters short of the hut we decided to cross the Allt a' Mhuilinn burn (which was running well with snow melt) and head straight up the slopes of Carn Dearg Meadhonach. It was tough going although the ground, vegetation and rocks were dry and gave good reliable grip. We eventually reached the ridge and soon after the Munro top C D M. We were shortly followed to the top by another chap who had taken a more westerly route up the steep slopes. I had already drunk a lot of liquid and took the oppotunity to refill my bottle with some of the snow from a cornice (keeping my feet on terra ferma). My plan was to reach the summit of Carn Mor Dearg by 2pm and we did just that.

P1000432.JPG
Corpach & Loch Eil

P1000433.JPG
C M D & the arete

P1000434.JPG
The Ben in all its glory

Views over to the north face cliffs of Nevis were absolutely superb with snow filling the gullies and giving a great definition of the rocky outcrops. However, it was very disconserting to see so many on the Ben get so close to the edge of the cornices. It made us quite uneasy. We decided to have some food and spent about half an hour soaking in the views all around us.

P1000436.JPG
C M D

P1000442.JPG
Looking back to C D M

P1000444.JPG
Lunch time backdrop

P1000445.JPG
At the top, where did that cloud come from??!!??

There was an intermittent breeze as we set off along the arete. Andrew led the way, making good progress along the very rocky and undulating ridge. It was good to get my hands on the rocks. We followed the actual ridge as much as possible and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It does get narrower towards the climax of the ridge and a short stretch with big drops to either side proved to be an adrenalin rush for us both.

P1000451.JPG
On the C D M Arete

P1000453.JPG
Looking into Coire Leis

P1000456.JPG
Still a climb to do ahead

P1000459.JPG
The bad bit!!!

The final slog up the boulder field to the summit was briefly broken when I met a walker coming down. We passed pleasantries - he lived in Cambridge, I lived in Appleby. Funny thing was, it turned out he had roomed at college with a lad who was in my class at school - its a small world!!

P1000463.JPG
Steall Falls

Reached the summit of the Ben to be met by a blanket of snow but almost everyone there was wandering around in t-shirts. 360 degree views were spectacular.

P1000469.JPG
On top of the world

Easy to spot the route off the hill with such clear weather. Just away from the top, we reached another area of snow on the west facing slope. It was surreal to see a number of youngsters having great fun sliding down it.

P1000475.JPG
Having great fun on the snow

We carried on down quickly to the Red Burn and refilled our bottles again. It was noticeable how the temperature was beginning to rise the more we descended. Soon after we passed the Half Way Lochan, we caught up with the others who had been making good (if slow) progress back down.

P1000477.JPG
The youngsters cooling their feet

We had a great day on the highest mountain in the land and would really recommend the Carn Mor Dearg route to anyone with a head for hights.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg

Postby OldCodger » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:02 pm

Great photos - that view into Coire Leis takes me back 49 years as though it was yesterday !
OldCodger
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland