walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Problems to pitch the tent (Wild Country Zephyros 1)

Problems to pitch the tent (Wild Country Zephyros 1)

Postby matty_cat » Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 am

Hello

On sunday I pitch my Wild Country Zephyros 1 the third time. Just for exercise before the holidays and to cut the groundsheet.

It was the worst try to pitch the tent of the three.It tooks to much time and the result is unsatisfying. But I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe someone can help me. Here some photos, there are needed because I don't know the english words (even in german I don't know the names)

reverse side from left, the outer tent is dipping

reverse side, whole tent.

left end

right end, which is not in a right angle. The photo for this reason is some pictures below.

right side

again the dipping left side, this time from front

eek. *WTF* bigger tick in apsis on the new groundsheet.

left side, the pole is a right angle. (it should be in a right angle?)

right side. the pole (or how is it named?) is definitely not in a right angle.
I try several things, but couldn't change this fact. When it was in a right angle, then the outer tent was not in tension.

The inner tent. At the anchoring was a lot of tension, but from the middle to the end, the inner tent dip. It was similar the last time, when the both poles was in a right angle. I woke up in the morning and the inner tent on touched my face.

Same on left side. Some parts are unter tension and the parts between dipped.

which use has these clasp?

I will do some more exercise in pitching the tent I start the hike at the end of the next week. But without knowing what I did wrong it's gambling.

Maybe someone is on Skye (Broadford/Strathaird) on the evening of the 7th/8th of June and can teach me. Or accompany me on Rum 8)
matty_cat
Mountaineer

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   

Re: Problems to pitch the tent (Wild Country Zephyros 1)

Postby whiteburn » Wed May 30, 2012 12:00 pm

matty_cat, I have the same tent and don’t seem to have the same issues you have described, here’s my routine which seems to work:
1) Fit the 2 short carbon fibre poles (I find the tent packs easier with these removed, personal choice)
2) Peg out the tent length ways using the two tape straps from the inner and the elastic on the outer
3) Install the alloy pole and centre up the tent between the 2 pegs installed in 2), add a couple of pegs at pole straps if windy.
4) Fix out the end guy lines (from the top of the 2 carbon poles), adjusted as long as possible. Carbon fibre poles should be near vertical.
5) Peg out the rest of the tent. On uneven ground you may need to use 2 pegs at some points to get the outer smooth, I usually carry 6 extra titanium pins just in case + some cord for tying off to rocks. I've found the Alpkit Ti-pins pretty good not the lightest at 6.5g/ peg but pretty tough, http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16536&category_id=253

IMG_0275.JPG

I haven't worked out the purpose of the quick fasteners at the entrance, I do use the toggle that's next to them for rigging the door open with some cord

Tip: Titanium pegs are good on hard ground but easy to lose, put some heat shink tubing or tape on them before heading out.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby matty_cat » Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 pm

It's Matty (sorry, O forgot that the nick is extended.)

Jep, it's easier to pack the tent without the carbon poles. But I wasn't sure whether I get them install correctly again, because I was irretated by the cord parallel to the carbon pole. This one seems to short.

I have 8 Y shaped alu pegs (not very practical for pack closely) and 5 V shaped alu pegs additional to the pegs delivered with the tent. One from the origin one was bent when hit a stone in the ground during the very first time to pitch the tent.
I use the instruction video from the laser competition:

With your instruction and this video it should (must!) work. I have some days left for exercise.

(Can't still believe that I will really hike on Rum and sleeping in a tent near the shore at the end of next week :shock: )
matty_cat
Mountaineer

Postby whiteburn » Wed May 30, 2012 2:32 pm

From your photos the carbon poles look to be installed OK, they should both be 44cm long.

The guy in the video has obviously not put the tent up in a wind, get a couple of pegs in before erecting the main alloy pole or the tent may end up on the mainland.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby matty_cat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Teh next test was successfully. And there was wind :clap:

It was a mix from your instruction and the video

1. The groundsheets want to fly away also the tent. So one peg on one end, another peg to the other end.
2. install the alloy pole without fixing the pole straps
3. fix out one end of the tent (need 3 pegs) then the both straps on the side of this end.
4. repeat step 3) on the other side)
5. fixed the alloy pole straps
6. go around the tent and correct the pegs

The outer tent is nearly smooth. But the inner tent isn't smooth at all. To much stuff I think.
Like during the last exercise I found two ticks in the apsis :shock:

the result in a movie (wind is audible and visible): http://youtu.be/OgiEP5ubTmc

all sides in pictures:

Next campsite: Inner Hebrides (Skye and Rum) :mrgreen:
matty_cat
Mountaineer

Postby whiteburn » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:40 am

Looks like you have it sorted :clap:
Good luck on your trip to Skye and Rum. If it’s you first trip to Scotland be warned of the MIDGE :( , take insect repellent, buy a head net and where possible camp away from water and preferably a breezy site.
Have fun :lol:
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby Gythral » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 am

whiteburn wrote:Looks like you have it sorted :clap:
Good luck on your trip to Skye and Rum. If it’s you first trip to Scotland be warned of the MIDGE :( , take insect repellent, buy a head net and where possible camp away from water and preferably a breezy site.
Have fun :lol:

Avoid campsites :D
I think that they are pagan offering sites, offering tourists to the midge god :P
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby matty_cat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:32 am

Its not my first visit in Scotland. Its the 7th. But its need four visits until I met midges the first time. Awful tiny beasts they are.

Campsite is just another word for "a nice place to pitch the tent" 8) On Rum is an official campsite only near the pier. Also I don't know a campsite on Skye closed to the places I want to go :thumbup:

2 or 3 weeks and a trip report will be published here :wink:
matty_cat
Mountaineer

Postby Rogue » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:30 am

I don't own the tent in question, but I believe the fasteners at the bottom of the zip are there so that you can pitch the tent really taut without putting strain on the zip. Or not.
Rogue
Munro compleatist

Munros:80   

Postby Old Bill » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:49 pm

I've had this tent for a few years now, and have never been able to put it up satisfactorily. It's always saggy at one end despite corners and edges being tight, and incredibly flappy along a lower edge from door to guy-end. And the inner is always as tight as a drum-skin along the seams but the sides are still very baggy. The bit where it attaches to the outer is stretching like a fat-man's shirt buttons (mine!)

I've tried adjusting and re-attaching everything but to no avail. The two end poles seem right, each leaning outwards slightly and the centre pole is vertical... and it never looks anything like whiteburn's or matty-cat's video (although I'm not sure what's going on with his inner poking out...) and certainly nothing like Wild Country's promo pics.
I have no idea. (I've tried WC and although polite they weren't much help.)

It hasn't let me down yet, but I'm worry how reliable / noisy it will be in very windy weather.

(The guys by the centre pole don't make any difference btw)

Any ideas anyone?
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby IanEzzi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:46 am

I had a few issues pitching my Laser Comp which is the same design I believe.

I eventually realised that I was tensioning the straps between the inner and outer tent too much (i.e. the little strap which connects the two end poles to the inner tent). These straps basically fight AGAINST the end guy lines and take tension off the fly.

Now I pitch with no tension in the wee end straps. The end poles sit at close to 45" and the inner is a little saggy, but I never notice.
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby IanEzzi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:49 am

Oh, and I always pick the tent up and put it down again to make sure the centre pole is as vertical and perpendicular as possible, that one above looks a tiny bit squint? Might just be the pic :wink:
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Old Bill » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Hi IanEzzi

You're right, the centre pole is slightly to the left, but it really doesn't make much of a difference.

And I have completely detached and reattached the inner, before, during and after putting the tent up. I know those little straps you mention - and they are easily forgotten as they are a bit hidden, but they've been tweaked to every level of slackness / tautness to with no joy.

I'm stumped! :?
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby matty_cat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:10 pm

My tent is now only in use, when I'm somewhere with the car and only a daypack needed for the night as I changed my walking boots for wet boots and the tent is far to small when being on a multiday trip with a kayak ;)

The tent is not my favourite at all anymore one of the ground "seams" became to long and it is very flappy. No chance to tighten it in any way. So it is loud and quite windy. Also the outer tent is barely touching the ground. time I had it pitched was just before a night with gale forces. I had to sleep with a woolen hat on. The tent survived but it wasn't a comfy night. Lucky it was only wind and no rain, otherwise it would had been a wet wake up call.
matty_cat
Mountaineer

Postby vixana » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:49 pm

My problem is how to pack it away, there's no way it would ever fit back into the bag, mine is the 2 man if that makes any difference.
i'd love to know how your packing goes.
also i find i get lots and i do mean lots of condensation inside, how do you pack it away with condensation so that it can be put up again wet without making the inside totally soggy
vixana
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk