walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

7 of the lawers 8 in one day

7 of the lawers 8 in one day

Postby ken reid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 16/10/2009

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 36 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

7 of the lawers group in one day

I started this walk from the lawers hotel lower car park where walkers are welcome to leave there cars on the understanding that they will use some of the hotel facilities on there return.
I left the car park at 07.30 and headed back along the a827 towards Kenmore until you reach the small craft shop selling antlers made into all sorts of things, here you turn left behind the shop following the signs for the hill this way.anouther 10 min sees you clear of the wood that runs alongside the burn where you cross a style onto open hillside. from here I followed the right hand bank of the burn on a well used path then up the steepening slopes to the summit of Meall Greigh,on the assent I stopped to take sum picks of the route ahead( see pick no 1,6)I reached the summit at 09.00from here a path gently descends before starting to re gain the height lost up towards Meall Garbh you follow a line of fence posts up towards the summit witch took me another hour arriving at the summit at 10.00.the wind was quite constant at around 10-15 mph witch was quite cold as I was wearing shorts so I stopped to put on sum long trousers only to discover that I had left them in the car I had the waterproof overtrouers but decided just to carry on as I was, heading down once more towards an Stuc(see picks 4-5)I dropped out of the wind and was surprised just how warm the sun was for a oct day,as I was approaching an stuc I was constantly trying to pick the best route up it's steep slope when I noticed a solitary sheep right on the summit witch seemed to be taunting me ( see pick 4).I reached the summit at around 10.45 then continued along an obvious path towards ben lawers theirs an aquard little bit you can scramble up or this can be by passed on the right hand side with ought any probes you soon reach the summit of lawers where you find the trig point. I arived at this point at around 11.30 (see pick 3) follow the path down to the coll between ben lawers and Beinn Ghlas here the path splits you could contour round Beinn ghlas by taking the right hand path, or continue on towards Beinn Ghlas by staying on the main path where you start climbing once more reaching the summit in around another 40min I arrived at the top at 12.30 and had sum lunch before heeding down the route towards Meall Corranaich this was a steep decent before a similarly steep assent to reach a broad summit Plato with a small cairn at around 13.50 from here you turn right and head down towards the final munro of the day keeping to the edge of the coire the path is easy to follow up to Meall a' Choire leith witch I dun in around 40 min from here I headed down to the top of the lochan na lainge (sw direction)this was a very bogey route but once you reach the road you simply turn left and follow it back past the visitor centre to the a827 then turn left again back to the hotel .the descent and walk back to the car took another 3 hrs getting me back to the start at around 17.00 for a pint and a bag of crisps then of to glen coe for the next day. This route could be improved with ether two cars or the use of a bicycle to cut out the long and unpleasant walk back to the hotel on tired legs (pick 2) was taken from meall corranaichshowing the route from the opposite side from the shots taken in the morning.
Attachments
lawers05.jpg
lawers 09.jpg
netty meet 012.jpg
lawers07.jpg
netty meet 009.jpg
reduction test.jpg
Last edited by ken reid on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Re: 7 of the lawers 8 in one day

Postby ken reid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:38 pm

picks to follow when I get home tonight
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Postby monty » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi Ken,
Well done on a long walk in the Lawers range. Looks like you got some good sunshine :D but I may be taking court action against you for blinding me with those knees :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cycled back to the hotel when I done it to save me the long walk back :D
monty

Postby ken reid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:35 pm

ye I must get rid of those shorts, it was a bit bloway up there
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:03 am

Ah - so that's what it looks like round Lochan nan Cat! We never saw a b*** thing! :( Some good pics there. You need some zip-off trousers then you can swap between shorts and longs any time! :)
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:27 am

Some really stunning pics there Ken. If you want to put them in order into your reports, it's not too hard - edit the report, put your cursor where you want a particular photo and then press 'place inline' on that photo - that puts a bit of code into the text which will put your photo there when you submit your post.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby ken reid » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm

thanks paul I will try that next time
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland