walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn aMhaim, Ben Macdui, Derry Cairgorm

Carn aMhaim, Ben Macdui, Derry Cairgorm

Postby Tomsie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 01/06/2012

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 30 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another great day from the Linn of Dee, even better then Sunday it had a breeze all day bit chilly at times but made the walking a lot easier. Carn aMhaim was a good walk with 2 tops, but Ben Macdui although enjoyable was tough plenty of boulders and a very big hill, dont know why theres so many shelters up there. Then on to Derry Cairngorm past it off by mistake and had a bite to eat at Loch Etchachan before making way back up to Derry and after here headed over to what is described as a corbett top in book but not a corbett ??? if anyone knows better. After this back to Derry Lodge bite to eat and back to car on the bike.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

005.JPG

014.JPG

030.JPG

035.JPG

036.JPG
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: Carn aMhaim, Ben Macdui, Derry Cairgorm

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:40 pm

9.5hrs & 31k...........................thought this was a post by Monty or Andrew Doggett till I read you headed back on the bike John,luv the area.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Nice route Tomsie. I agree the way up Ben Macdui from Carn aMhaim over that rock field is not easy.
Well worth the effort though when you get there. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Tomsie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Today Gammy sat at Derry Cairngorm and had views to all the other hills I'v being on and said to myself was glad I have one more to do in this area, it is an amazing place. Just checked my time there yep its right, was a bit surprised myself when back at car, but the bike makes a big difference
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:13 am

Tomsie wrote: dont know why theres so many shelters up there.

Some of them are quite old, dating back to 19th Century sappers who worked on the Ordnance Survey, and prospectors who searched for Cairngorm stones, the smokey quartz crystals found in these hills which were very trendy during Victoria's reign. Of course the structures get patched up by passing hillwalkers keen to get shelter from the wind. Nice report, glad to hear my old stamping ground is doing well.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland