walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eastern Mamores

Eastern Mamores

Postby gman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 02/06/2012

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 22.3 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

binnein mor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Was planning on doing 2 hills, but a few reports here showed 4 were possible and most people I met were doing the 4. Saves an extra car journey so good for the environment :wink: Sunny but not too warm, ideal conditions apart from swarms of flying insects reactivated after Winter.

Intended to park at the lodge but 2 new signs: no unauthorised vehicles & gate may be locked at any time. Didn't risk it but there were cars parked at the lodge and the stalkers cottage is in use so it seems very unlikely that the gate would ever be shut.
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0001.jpg

Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0004.jpg

Easy to follow road then landrover track, missed the path that goes round Sgor Eilde Beag so doubled back. View back down the path:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0017.jpg

Met a guy who had camped between Sgor Eilde Beag and Sgurr Eilde Mor, warned that descent from Binnein Beag was very loose so probably better to go up and down the same way to avoid falling rocks.

Got to bealach between Sgor Eilde Beag and Sgurr Eilde Mor, 4 now seemed possible as quite a bit of height gained already, over to Sgurr Eilde Mor:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0021.jpg

Binnein Beag, bit of a walk but not too much ascent:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0023.jpg

Bit rocky up to Sgurr Eilde Mor, sense of balance got tested a few times. Great views from summit, over to Sgor Eilde Beag:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0032.jpg

Descent was tricky here too, flat red rocks at the start which weren't stable underfoot. Then grey rocks, some covered with moss. Had a look at path, quite a bit of descent/reascent:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0036.jpg

Easy going on the way down to the burn, then the path continued up on a comfortable gradient. Route up & down Binnein Beag:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0039.jpg

Binnein Mor from summit, another walker had come down the ridge on the right but said grass was wet & slippy. We noticed 2 walkers making for the closest ridge which looked a bit of a scramble. I went for the easy option on the right.
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0052.jpg

Bit boggy walking to the ridge then a slog up the steep grass initially, then going got easier on the ridge.
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0054.jpg

Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0056.jpg

View back down, Grey Corries behind Binnein Beag:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0058.jpg

Bit of a scramble higher up, could bypass this on a path to the right though. Looking towards Na Gruagaichean:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0064.jpg

Walk from here was fine, closer to Na Gruagaichean it looked like a steep ascent but actually wasn't bad. Other Mamores:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0079.jpg

Looking down to Glencoe from Na Gruagaichean:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0084.jpg

Descent ridge:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0090.jpg

Initially this was easy then steep grass. On the way up I'd noticed a new fence closer to the path, I couldn't see any stiles and it would have blocked the WH descent route. There's a gate on the landrover path where the fence meets it, decided to head further south than the WH route on my GPS to meet this. Improvised route took me down some craggy bits and I soon remembered that descending steep grass isn't my favourite part of a walk. Looking down to Kinlochleven and the track:
Binnein Mor_01Jun2012_0093.jpg

Great weather & views, legs feeling it today though and as it turns out hillwalking isn't the best cure for a cold :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Eastern Mamores

Postby Fudgie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:57 pm

We were on the Ring of Steall today so weren't too far from you. We looked over to where you were and debated if it was possible to do all four so you've solved that mystery :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby gman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Fudgie wrote:We were on the Ring of Steall today so weren't too far from you. We looked over to where you were and debated if it was possible to do all four so you've solved that mystery :D

After Binnein Beag you're at 750m and the other 2 are on the way back anyway so might as well include them. Ring of Steall was looking good, might go for that next.
gman

Postby Meatball » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Was the chap that joined you on binnein beag a stocky bald man?
I was doing Sgurr Choinnich Mor and the Aonachs and saw him heading up from next to me...it looked no fun!
Good report, I did these a few weeks ago in the snow.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:48 am

Nice photos gman, am heading up these in July so hope I get a similar day to yours.

Probably be doing the same route except I might start from Kinlochmore instead of the lodge, and depending on how I feel on the day I might try that scrambly ridge up to Binnein Mor. Glad the snow's gone too!
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby davetherave » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Great pics you got for your day. well done.
That scrambly bit you mention on Binnein Mor, my wife had a bad fall there in winter past. We made our way up the ridge you mention then traversed round to the right above the scree area. She was making her way up through a gap in some crags when she slipped, slidding a few hundred feet in the process. :(
DSC00603.JPG
heading up that ridge

DSC00606.JPG
we climbed higher before traversing round to the right.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby gman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Meatball wrote:Was the chap that joined you on binnein beag a stocky bald man?

No, tall guy from East coast - he started from Kinlochmore but went round the opposite way from me. Your description sounds more like me, but I was incognito in a hat :)

davetherave wrote:Great pics you got for your day. well done.
That scrambly bit you mention on Binnein Mor, my wife had a bad fall there in winter past. We made our way up the ridge you mention then traversed round to the right above the scree area. She was making her way up through a gap in some crags when she slipped, slidding a few hundred feet in the process. :(

Sorry to hear that & hope she's recovered OK, the ridge looks tempting but I wasn't sure if it would be possible to scramble all the way up.
gman

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland