walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great day on Grey Corries

Great day on Grey Corries

Postby pigeon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 03/06/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1645m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bit of an un-expected bonus this one,meant to be working Sunday but worked like a maniac on Saturday so earned myself Sunday off,only one thing for it then-head for the Heelands :D .Forecast was good so wanted to get a bigger route done and the Grey Corries fitted the bill.Met Ian at Spean Bridge and headed to Corrie Choillie farm,got the cars up the farm track without losing any bits(don,t go up this road in a low suspension vehicle)and were off up the track towards the bothy and Stob Ban for ten past eight.
grey corries 002.JPG
"sit,good boy"
grey corries 008.JPG
bothy and Stob Ban
Good warm up hike to the bothy where Stob Ban comes into view,took the path up by the stream towards Coire Claurigh and dumped the bags below the steep slippy scree path up to the summit.Stob Ban is the smallest of the munroes in this area but the views from the top were excellent,could also see a number of walkers making their way up our next target Stob Choire Claurigh so got the photo's taken then back down the path to collect the bags .
grey corries 016.JPG
admiring the view from Stob Ban
grey corries 021.JPG
stob coire easian and mheadhion
grey corries 026.JPG
ian and jake,Stob Ban
Just missed a nasty wee shower on our way up to Claurigh and the wind had picked up enough to bring out the tammy and warm jacket but soon we were on Claurigh where the full extent of the Grey Corrie ridge opens out in front of you.
grey corries 031.JPG
grey corries from Stob Coire Claurigh
grey corries 034.JPG
S C C
It's a fine sight with great views to Nevis ,the Aonachs ,the Mamores ,Glencoe ,Schiehallion and about a million other hills.A wee blether with a couple of Polish lads and we were off along the ridge.This is a great walk to the next Munro Stob Coire an Laoigh,it takes you over a number of tops but you never feel like you lose any great height and the steep cliffs on Caisteal are braw.
grey corries 042.JPG
Jake looking back at the tiny Stob Ban
grey corries 041.JPG
stob coire an laoigh and caisteal
grey corries 045.JPG
on caisteal
Stob Coire an Laoigh was a wee milestone for me ,142nd Munro ,halfway on the Munro journey ,Ian gave me a dram from his hip flask to celebrate :thumbup: .
grey corries 046.JPG
50% on stob coire an laoigh
Next target was Sgurr Choinnch Mor,it looked quite far away but we both felt good so off we went towards Stob Coire Easain and then descended steeply down to the Bealach .
grey corries 050.JPG
schiehallion
grey corries 051.JPG
looking back along the ridge
grey corries 052.JPG
towards sgurr choinnich mor
Pretty rocky on the way down here and could have been tricky in wet ,misty conditions,today it was fine though and and before long we were climbing the steep path up to Choinnich Mor.
grey corries 053.JPG
steep
Enjoyed this bit as well and it's a fine peak that greets you when the steepest part of the path is climbed.
grey corries 054.JPG
close to Choinnich Mor
grey corries 058.JPG
jake on choinnich mor
grey corries 066.JPG
Had a pit stop on the small summit before deciding which way to head back.Neither of us fancied re-ascending Stob Coire Easian again so we dropped down to the Bealach and then down the steep grassy slopes towards the Allt Coire an Eoin.
grey corries 076.JPG
jake takes a dook
We followed this right to a dam and some good waterfalls then through the forest which eventually brought us almost right out to the cars .
grey corries 078.JPG
more falls
It seemed to take forever and if the walk along the river had been boggy it would have been a total nightmare,however it was still pretty dry and the waterfalls were worth the effort.Another great day,long and tiring but a good route to get under our belts,rewarded ourselves with the customary pint this time in the Spean Bridge hotel,as you do :lol:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Great day on Grey Corries

Postby soapy27 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Excellent report and pictures . I hope to do this round in the near future.
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Nice one pigeon - was up here on Saturday and missed you by only a day ! I like the look of your return route - I came back via Stob Coire Easian and missed the waterfalls which look great - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby PeteR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Another good walk pigeon :D These are good hills. Glad you got a good day for them too. And you're over the half way mark. Certainly not a shabby round to mark that milestone :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Nice one pigeon! Many of your photos just reinforce why these hills are so named! :) Nice to see the Lairig Leacach bothy again. Fine memories from a night in there a couple of years back! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby davgil » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Well done pigeon!
We also did this route on Saturday and the views were amazing inb all directions.
rockhopper wrote:Nice one pigeon - was up here on Saturday and missed you by only a day ! I like the look of your return route - I came back via Stob Coire Easian and missed the waterfalls which look great - cheers :D

rockhopper, I'm wondering if I met you on Saturday as we spoke to quite a few folk up there?
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby Bod » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi pigeon, lovely walk and a great report.....I can feel this one coming on this year too! We were up that way on Saturday and climbed CMD and the Ben, a fantastic area that needs many trips. Wonderful pictures of Jake enjoying his day too! :D :D :D

Half-way too, well done :thumbup:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:03 am

davgil wrote:rockhopper, I'm wondering if I met you on Saturday as we spoke to quite a few folk up there?

Quite possible dave - I've PM'd you
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby neurone » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Good report. I was up there on Saturday as well. Fantastic hills. Walked through to Glen Nevis where I was to meet my lift. Unfortunately, she was waiting in the wrong carpark... (right glen though). Communication skills are obviously not my strong point.
neurone

Munros:237   Corbetts:29
Fionas:1   

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Looks awesome up there, will need to try and sneak this route in soon.

Well done on the half way mark as well.
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby soulminer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:10 pm

A great place to wander about :) The half way marker passed then, not long to the wild camps and bothies :lol:
Hope you enjoy the second half as much as you seemed to enjoy the first :thumbup:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby pigeon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:19 pm

soapy27 wrote:Excellent report and pictures . I hope to do this round in the near future.
Cheers soapy ,get up there :thumbup:
rockhopper wrote:Nice one pigeon - was up here on Saturday and missed you by only a day ! I like the look of your return route - I came back via Stob Coire Easian and missed the waterfalls which look great - cheers :D
PeteR wrote:Another good walk pigeon :D These are good hills. Glad you got a good day for them too. And you're over the half way mark. Certainly not a shabby round to mark that milestone :D
Cheers RH and pete,one of best walks yet :D
Graeme D wrote:Nice one pigeon! Many of your photos just reinforce why these hills are so named! :) Nice to see the Lairig Leacach bothy again. Fine memories from a night in there a couple of years back! :D
davgil wrote:Well done pigeon!
We also did this route on Saturday and the views were amazing inb all directions.

rockhopper, I'm wondering if I met you on Saturday as we spoke to quite a few folk up there?
Thanks graeme and davgil,pretty busy up that way at weekend.
Bod wrote:Hi pigeon, lovely walk and a great report.....I can feel this one coming on this year too! We were up that way on Saturday and climbed CMD and the Ben, a fantastic area that needs many trips. Wonderful pictures of Jake enjoying his day too! :D :D :D

Half-way too, well done :thumbup:
Cheers Bod,think the next 50% will take a bit longer :lol: Jake loved it,looked tired at the end though :wink:
neurone wrote:Good report. I was up there on Saturday as well. Fantastic hills. Walked through to Glen Nevis where I was to meet my lift. Unfortunately, she was waiting in the wrong carpark... (right glen though). Communication skills are obviously not my strong point.
Met quite a few folk who had come up from Gen Nevis neurone,might try that approach on my 2nd round :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:22 pm

davedanson28 wrote:Looks awesome up there, will need to try and sneak this route in soon.

Well done on the half way mark as well.
Thanks dave,loads of great hills for you up in that area,enjoy it 8)
soulminer wrote:A great place to wander about :) The half way marker passed then, not long to the wild camps and bothies :lol:
Hope you enjoy the second half as much as you seemed to enjoy the first :thumbup:
Cheers.
Aye ,starting to run out of day trips soulminer,the tent will be out again soon.First half has been great,still loads to do, torridon,skye ,glen affric,fisherfield and aw that,bring it on :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby jimandandrea » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Well done on making the half way point. :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:59 am

Good stuff a bhalaich :lol: its a long walk out right enough :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland