walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Had a couple of days off, so headed for the hills

Had a couple of days off, so headed for the hills

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich, Beinn Sgulaird, Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 14/05/2012

Time taken: 19.5 hours

Distance: 42 km

Ascent: 3787m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finally getting around to catching up with the walk reports. I am new to this walking and writng business so any feedback would be greatly appreciated people. I had a couple of days off work in May and the weather looked good so threw the gear and the dog into the truck and headed off. Left the house at noon on the Monday, was in Ballachulish by 2pm and on the hill by 2.30. Great!
The first on my radar was Sgorr Dhearg (Beinn a'Bheithir) and Sgorr Dhonuill (Beinn a'Bheithir). It was hot and sunny so quite a long slog to reach the ridge.
DSC00778.JPG
Above the rainbow, looking back to Ballahulish

Me and the dug (Marley) had a wee rest at this point, took on some food and water ready for ridge walk.
WP_000445.jpg
On the ridge looking across to the first summit, amazing scenary

The ridge was a bit of an adrenalin boost, and unfortunately during the crossing in came the dreaded weather (hail, snow, cloud), oh bugger!
WP_000452.jpg
Got to trust your navigating when this happens, which way?

Successfully across the ridge, made the summit of the first Munro, luckily the weather had cleared enough so I could just about see the second Munro so pushed onto it.
DSC00793.JPG
Summit two reached

Then came the decent which was a little boggy to say the least, wet feet all-round! Followed by an exit through a very dark, muddy forest before hitting the forestry tracks back to Ballachulish.
WP_000467.jpg
Looking back on the way out

Back at the car safe and sound, quick change and then drove to Glen Orchy to set up camp for the night.
Day 2 started with a quick swim in the river Orchy (bloody freezing, but certainly woke me up) ha, ha. Today I was off up Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich. The legs where feeling a bit stiff to start with but soon eased up.
DSC00805.JPG
Todays targets

Another day on the hill, almost alone apart from two guys I met half way round the circuit, we were heading in opposite directions but stopped to have a quick blather.
DSC00817.JPG
First Munro of the day, Marley catching 20 winks

Pushing onto to number two, the wind was getting up and by now and must have been blowing at 30 to 40 mph on top, still once in the valley it dropped. Summit two was reached relatively quickly from one, approx. 40 mins.
DSC00815.JPG
Look across to summit two from one.

Now came the descent which was relatively easy, a grassy slope down to a road / track. A quick double decker consumed and then the long walk back to the truck. All in it took me about 7 hours to do this circuit. Nice scenery of the Cruachan hills, I must have been getting tired as I stopped taking photos. Ha, ha.
Back at the truck I had a decision to make, go home or......camp again and do another hill tomorrow. Decision took about 2 secs, camp again!!!! So off I went to Loch Crearan for the night I met a guy in the car park who only had 28 Munros left to do, he had just climbed my next target. After another night under the stars I was up early.
WP_000497.jpg
Day 3 target, time for a beer before bed

Day 3, Beinn Sgulaird, I got away sharp and was soon on my way to the summit. It took a while to get the body moving. The day turned out to be long hard one, both mentally and physically. However the views from this Munro are something else.
DSC00840.JPG
Knackered Dog approaching the summit

The ascent just seemed to go on and on and on, I think that this must have been down to day 3 legs and mind. However we did it, completely bushed by the time the summit was reached. Some good scrambling to get there as well.
WP_000513.jpg
I had to come down this and return via the same route

I had a wee rest on the summit before descending; I had the hill to myself until the decent when I passed a good few people going up. I have to say that I was pleased to see my truck at the end of the walk. The drive home gave me time to reflect and you know what I would not have changed anything, apart from taking another pair of socks! Ha, ha.
DSC00841.JPG
Me on Summit of day 3, buzzin but knackered!

So that was that, until the next time, 3 days and five Munros. :D
Last edited by davedanson28 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Had a couple of days off, so headed for the hills

Postby pigeon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Good one dave,your wee dug looks fair puggled in that pic :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Had a couple of days off, so headed for the hills

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Cheers, he certainly was, but still managed a wee swim in a lochan near the summit before we went down! :)
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland