walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Jubilee Sunday - Aonachs / CMD / Ben Nevis

Jubilee Sunday - Aonachs / CMD / Ben Nevis

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mòr, Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 03/06/2012

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 2122m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munros: Aonach Mor, Aonach Beag, Carn Mor Dearg, Ben Nevis

Distance: 27km
Ascent: 2,122m
Time: 12hrs
Attendees: me

Day 2 of my trip to Fort William/Spean Bridge – spent yesterday in the Grey Corries & co with the plan for today to cover Ben Nevis and neighbours. I had looked at various route options – starting from the south would mean a long walk (or cycle) back to the car so I opted to go from the north.

3june track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked in the Nevis Range car park and headed SE towards Aonach Mor. There are various MTB tracks which I used to get out of the forest area – a bit of toing and froing to get the right track but got there in the end. I reckoned that leaving early before the chairlift/gondola started would mean that there wouldn’t be any downhill MTBers to avoid.

I kept to the downhill MTB track almost to the top gondola station

Then just walked up under the ski lifts until I got to the top of the plateau from where it was an easy walk to the summit cairn

Met a guy who was running between the summits – definitely not for me !

Cold wind so I put on another layer and headed off for Aonach Beag

Again straightforward enough with a track up to the very barren summit

Took quite a few photos looking over to CMD and Ben Nevis

Then headed northwards again down Aonach Beag. Couldn’t find a track down to the foot of CMD so had to go steeply down the grassy hillside – some rocky and wet sections which seemed to take a lot longer than I’d planned.

Looking up to CMD

Got to the bottom of CMD and found the start of the uphill track

Spoke to a couple of walkers who were trying to find the start of the track up Aonach Beag – none of us could see the start though and I explained how I’d descended.

I then headed up the rocky ridge to the top of CMD

The weather had worsened with some snow flurries, stronger winds and lower visibility but it passed after a wee while

Got to the summit of CMD – stopped a while for food, spoke with some other walkers and took more photos

Then headed off for the arête. Part way across there was an injured walker with a larger group being helped by the rescue services – fortunately he was able to get up and walk afterwards. Needed to use my hands quite a bit but it wasn’t as exposed as I’d thought it would be. I did get passed by a couple of other walkers going somewhat faster than me though.

Getting to the end of the arête, then started the climb up to Ben Nevis. Basically a boulder field but there were hints of tracks on and off.

Looking back

Got to the top and couldn’t believe my eyes – there were so many people up there and more arriving every minute. Still quite a lot of snow on the top. Stopped for quite a while for food, photos and views.

The touristy photo

And a few more

I then headed back down the tourist path – still lots of people ascending

At the lochan I branched off northwards to head down to pick up the track to the CIC hut followed by the long walk back to the Nevis Range car park. The midges were out when I got back to the car as the wind dropped.

Enjoyable couple of days – but still can’t believe the number of people on top of Ben Nevis !
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Jubilee Sunday – Aonachs / CMD / Ben Nevis

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Ha i went up the tourist path with my good lady on Sunday, i have never seen so many people on a hill it was like a town high street ..a horrible experience made even worse when my other half did nt fancy the Arete ..back down the same god awful route haha

be back for the other three using your route ..in Winter 8)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby pigeon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:14 pm

I gave you a wave from the Grey Corries,did you not see us? :lol: :lol: Another great effort RH,some great pics of the arete.You must have had tired legs after that bumper 2 days :wink: :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:28 pm

" I did get passed by a couple of walkers,going somewhat faster than me though"............................they may well have passed you,but had they just done what you had on the Sat & Sun before they passed you. :clap: :clap: monty & andrew esque route.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby JohnJoe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:29 pm

great visibility & photos

i really can't imagine doing CMD, Ben Nevis AND another one in the same day.

you must have been truly knackered after that!
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Postby jimandandrea » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Great report and you have really captured the ridge with these pics. Excellent. :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Bod » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:13 am

Great report rockhopper! We were up there via CMD from the North Face carpark the day before on Saturday. Great to see your trip too now :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby davgil » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 am

Well done rockhopper, great effort, especially after your 6 the previous day!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:57 am

Stunning effort Rockhopper, that would have been something as a one off but as a second day to a 6 pack that is some going :clap: some fantastic pics, I love the ones of the endless mountains stretching out as far as you can see and the wide pano of the path with people on for scale. Incredible effort resulting in a great read for us :clap: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby GillC » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:13 am

Great report, what a day. Cant believe theres so little snow. Did CMD/Nevis just over 3 weeks ago, arctic conditions for the majority of the day. (get you with that path,,,good to see folk out but it gets a tad overcrowded) Looking forward to doing the Aonachs some day, when I recover from Nevis Ankle :roll:

Good job.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:28 am

You certainly enjoy your long routes :) Still do to these and still unsure what way to tackle them as i want to stay away from the tourist route, why can't folk that like crowds not just go shopping instead of going up the Ben :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:01 pm

I can't believe that less than a month ago I attempted this, but only managed the two Aonachs because of the snow :lol:

Great photos :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Fudgie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Thats a phenomenal effort and you'll be needing a rest after that. Not only a good read but some excellent pictures in there too.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:44 pm

Bod wrote:Great report rockhopper! We were up there via CMD from the North Face carpark the day before on Saturday. Great to see your trip too now :D :D :D
It's interesting Bod that there seem to have been quite a few of us up in this area over the weekend but we've mostly missed each other - I did meet davgil but we didn't realise until after posting the report. If we'd all got our collective acts together we could have had a minimeetup :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby PeteR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:09 am

Another stunning report and photos RH :D Two massive days there :D I'd definitely need a week off between each one :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland