walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal and Friends

An Caisteal and Friends

Postby Fudgie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin, Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 05/06/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1650m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After Saturday's exertions on the Ring of Steall, I felt surprisingly fit so after a text to one of the boys from Saturday, we headed for Crainlarich to tackle another four. We were away from the car at eight and before long were sweating our way up to the top of Sron Gharbh where a much needed stop was had. A quick refuel and we were on our way to the summit and made it there in just over 2 hours. We had seen people behind us but we were first on the top and it was a good feeling. The weather was clear and we looked over at our other targets of the day, Beinn a Chroin, Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain.

In what felt like no time at all we reached the summit of Beinn a Chroin and we both felt quite fresh. However, the walk to the top of Beinn Tulaichean looked like it would require a fair amount of effort and we set off to find the best path across.

We dropped down to around 500m and looked up at the unrelenting slope in front of us. The sun was making fleeting appearances at this point and the heat was adding to the difficulty of the climb. We went around the front of Stob Glas (hindsight showed us it may have been better to go over it) and puffed our way up the slope until we finally reached the path which links Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain. We only had just over 100m to climb at this point and five minutes later, we reached the summit of Beinn Tuliachean much to our relief. The sun came out again as we scoffed some of our supplies and gave ourselves a well earned rest. The sight of Curach Ardrain was holding our gaze but we told ourselves that the hardest part of the day was over.

It took us under an hour to reach the summit and we quickly enjoyed the views (along with some fluids) before embarking on the walk back to the car.

Our journey back to the car took longer than we expected and the sun was out for it's most prolonged period of the day so we found it hot work descending the long path. Just before we started the steep and final part of the descent, we took a chance to look back on three of our conquests from the walk.

After 9 hours we arrived back at the car and it was a welcome sight. I had stopped at the river to fill up my water bottle and the remainder of the contents were greedily guzzled before joining the tourist route that was the A82. It was a hard days walk but thoroughly enjoyable.

Attachments

AnCaisteal.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: An Caisteal and Friends

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Nice report fudgie and some good pics. Like the one of the stats too! Took me two walks to get these 4 so great effort!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Fudgie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 pm

2dalmatians wrote:Nice report fudgie and some good pics. Like the one of the stats too! Took me two walks to get these 4 so great effort!

Cheers. With the weather being good I thought I would make the most of it. Suffering now though :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Great photos fudgie. Did this same route in what was supposed to be late summer but hardly saw a thing for the first two as the weather was so bad - good to see what I missed ! Like you, can remember the hardest part was ascending up past Stob Glas. Makes all the difference when you get days like this - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fudgie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:22 am

rockhopper wrote:Great photos fudgie. Did this same route in what was supposed to be late summer but hardly saw a thing for the first two as the weather was so bad - good to see what I missed ! Like you, can remember the hardest part was ascending up past Stob Glas. Makes all the difference when you get days like this - cheers :D

Cheers rockhopper. I would do it again (honestly I would :lol: ) and if I didn't do it in reverse I would go over Stob Glas as opposed to round it.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Good effort and good day for it. I had a more leisurely day on the opposite side of the Glen climbing Stob a'Choin :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Fudgie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good effort and good day for it. I had a more leisurely day on the opposite side of the Glen climbing Stob a'Choin :wink:

Thanks Johnny. I feel surprisingly good after it but I'm giving myself this weekend off :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland