walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North East Ullswater round

North East Ullswater round

Postby Phooooey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arthur's Pike, Bonscale Pike, Loadpot Hill, Steel Knotts, Wether Hill

Hewitts included on this walk: Loadpot Hill

Date walked: 06/06/2012

Time taken: 6

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 792m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Park Foot Campsite - Arthurs Pike - Bonscale Pike - Loadpot Hill - Wether Hill - Red Pike - Steel Knotts - Howtown - Park Foot Campsite

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Let's start by saying that we need a Diamond Jubilee every year. :clap:
An extra day off work is just the ticket and we headed up to Pooley Bridge at the northern end of Ullswater to Park Foot Campsite for a nice quiet weekend with my father and his partner Mags. :? :?
A few other thousand people also had the same idea and we joined up with Mags's family and friends ... and kids ... and dogs. :lol:
The weather held out for the majority of the weekend and Jubilee day itself was lovely and included a Birds of Prey show and a dog competition. Damson was great for the entire weekend but got freaked out when entering a squared off grass arena with 50 or so other dogs during the competition :crazy: and she didn't even win the waggiest tail prize. :roll:

On the Sunday it was time for Damson & I to escape the gang and head for the hills.Heading out of the back of the campsite and straight into the boggy marsh , we hooked right after a few hundred yards and headed for the somewhat drier grass bank that runs up the right hand side of a gully stream up to the bridleway and the way up onto the old Roman Road and Arthurs Pike.
DSC_0026.JPG
Tree in gully
Ullswater from Arthurs Pike flank.jpg
Ullswater from Arthurs Pike flank

A couple of false summits later (the ones that make you think you've made it only to reveal a bit more behind) and we were on top of the days first.
DSC_0034.JPG
View back to camp site
DSC_0035.JPG
Damson on Arthurs Pike Summit

It was a bit fresh on the tops with a brisk breeze making it quite cold when we stopped moving.
The summits of Bonscale Pike, Loadpot and Wether Hills are very straight forward heading south in an almost straight line over each summit.
Ullswater from Bonscale Pike.jpg
Ullswater from Bonscale Pike

For larger version of this panorama, please visit link http://www.dermandar.com/p/ecgTpG/ullswater-from-bonscale-pike
DSC_0048.JPG
Loadpot Hill Summit
DSC_0049.JPG
Wether Hill summit

After Wether Hill we hooked up left on to Red Crag (I covered this as I wasn't sure whether it was a Wainwright or not ... turned out not to be :( ) and headed up into the rain clouds. No photos up here as it was so wet.
We climbed over the fence at the top to ensure we claimed the summit and wandered back down the other side heading for Steel Knotts with a detour over Gowk Hill.
DSC_0053.JPG
View down to Gowk Hill & Steel Knotts

Steel Knotts was my favourite section of todays walk (even though the rain had followed us down) with a clamber over a ridge and a suitably craggy top. Squatting on the summit cairn was also an adventure as the wind had picked up and standing on the overhanging rock felt a little too dangerous.
DSC_0057.JPG
Ascending Steel Knotts
DSC_0058.JPG
Looking back across to Bonscale Pike from Steel Knotts
DSC_0062.JPG
Steel Knotts Summit
DSC_0065.JPG
Damson guards my new rucksack on Steel Knotts

The way down to Howtown is a steep grassy bank with great views to Ullswater and across Hallins Fell and Howtown Village.
DSC_0061.JPG
Steep descent to Howtown

From the bottom we crossed over to the lake edge to get a view of the Ullswater Launch and possibly a lift back up to Pooley Bridge but it was very busy so we decided to walk back down the road for the couple of miles back to the camp site.
14 miles later and we arrived back at the tents and the start of the drinking & bbq fest that summed up the weekend (with kids discos, trips to The Sun Inn at Pooley Bridge, Aira Force & Keswick thrown in).
Happy Jubilee Weekend to all !! :clap:
Last edited by Phooooey on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: North East Ullswater round

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:22 am

lovely report Phooooey, great to hear of a fantastic family weekend and a bit of an escape to the hills thrown in, a fair old wander this one......surely Damson should be getting an award of some sort for this alone :lol: great report, really enjoyed it :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:17 am

Thoroughly enjoyable report, Craig, and some great photos :thumbup:
Phooooey wrote:she didn't even win the waggiest tail prize.
She gets my prize for being a lovely dog :lol:

So glad you had a wonderful time with family and friends. Jeff and I were up at Loch Ard in the Trossachs and had good weather (lot of sun) all weekend :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Phooooey » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:03 am

Thanks for your kind words.
All yomping on hold for a couple of weeks whilst my next 2 weekends are taken up in "celebrating" :? 40 years on the planet. Shortly after this (as soon as we get our British summer) I will be attempting a 16 fell - 2 day marathon around Loweswater, the High Stile ridge, Rannerdale Knotts and summits around Grasmoor. This should bag another 12 newies and re-cover a small amount of old ground. I've mapped it out and pretty sure its big enough to see from space if I was to take a spray can with me and paint the route (maybe thats just what it looks like on paper :lol: ).
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:43 am

Phooooey wrote:my next 2 weekends are taken up in "celebrating" 40 years on the planet

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Believe me, you're just a mere youngster :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck for your 16 fell trip and hope the weather is kind for you :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland