walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Jubilee Saturday - Easains / Stob Ban / Grey Corries

Jubilee Saturday - Easains / Stob Ban / Grey Corries

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 02/06/2012

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 34.7 km

Ascent: 2774m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munros: Stob Coire Easain, Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Ban, Stob Coire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh, Sgurr Choinnich Mor

Distance: 34.7km
Ascent: 2,774m
Time: 13hrs
Attendees: me

With the extended holiday weekend, the plan was to spend Saturday/Sunday up in Fort William/Spean Bridge and head back down on the Sunday night ready for relations arriving for a BBQ on the Monday. Weather forecast looked pretty good albeit a strong likelihood of colder, stronger northerly winds – dry though.

Departed from Glasgow late on the Friday night – got to the end of the rough road south of Corriechoille after sunset with only two other vehicles parked up.

2june track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Early start on Saturday morning – walked up the track past the sculpture of the minister

Good progress up the track passing Cruach Innse and Sgurr Innse – both seemed close enough but I had a long enough day planned as it was so will have to revisit some time

Just before the bothy headed east up the hillside towards Stob Coire Easain.

Mostly heather which was deep in places but not hard going. View north to the two corbetts.

The last part before the summit was fairly steep scree and boulders but not as bad as I thought it would be looking at the map. Views from the top suffered from some low cloud but could see over to Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin.

Short break and headed off to Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin – didn’t take long to get to the summit.

Then it was back up to SCE as there didn’t look as though there was any reasonable way to avoid it. The sun was starting to appear though.

From here I headed more or less due west towards Stob Ban losing a lot of height down to Lairig Leacach.

Easy enough to cross the Allt as the water level was quite low and plenty rocks for stepping stones.

View northwards as I crossed the track to start ascending Stob Ban

I kept going westwards until I picked up the track up Stob Ban – views starting to open up

Reached the summit, the sun was out, weather looking good and I could see what was coming up next.

I dropped down the scree and rocks to the lochan and sheltered out of the wind to have some food before starting up towards Stob Coire Claurigh.

Head northwards up to the summit

I then headed along the ridge towards Stob Coire an Laoigh stopping frequently for photos. It’s a great walk and very enjoyable in the sun. Selection of photos below:

The reason they’re called “grey”

Back to Stob Ban

West and east on the ridge

After getting to Stob Coire an Laoigh, I met up with a couple of guys who had passed me earlier – one of them turned out to be davgil and we discussed options for the final section which involved ascending and descending Stob Coire Easain to get to Sgurr Choinnich Mor. They were looking at whether they could return but avoid the reascent of SCM – I’d already decided I’d return via SCM.

They headed off in front of me and I met them again on the final stage up Sgurr Choinnich Mor.

Stopped for a while at the top and spoke first with one walker who was going on to the Aonachs then another who was going back. Could’ve sat there all day in the sun but had to get back.

Headed back up Stob Coire Easain and northwards to Beinn na Socaich

Then followed the long walk back to the car via the track through the forest to the north of the old tramway.

Arrived back at the car where there were a few more cars than in the morning.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Jubilee Saturday – Easains / Stob Ban / Grey Corries

Postby pigeon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Knackered just reading that RH,big effort to do the Easians as well,great walk along the corries ridge ,well done sir :clap: :clap:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: ................RH strikes again with another monster hike,cracking TR again.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby davgil » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:29 am

Great report rockhopper!
After getting to Stob Coire an Laoigh, I met up with a couple of guys who had passed me earlier – one of them turned out to be davgil and we discussed options for the final section which involved ascending and descending Stob Coire Easain to get to Sgurr Choinnich Mor. They were looking at whether they could return but avoid the reascent of SCM – I’d already decided I’d return via SCM

Nice to meet you up there, we decided to take the same route off as you as it didn't look like there was any advantage the other way.
You deserve a good rest after that weekend :clap:
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 am

Great stuff again Rockhopper, still to do the Grey Corries and looks good up there. Cheers :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Great report & pics as always. I need to get into the grey corries sson 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Good god man, another stunning report of an incredible effort, but 34.7km/21.5miles is not so much a hike as a quest :lol: some exceptional photos along the way too numerous to pick a favourite - fantastic effort RH, beyond most of us on here I think ......but at least we get to read about 'em :clap: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Gavin99 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:30 pm

That was some effort , looks like a fantastic day . The Grey Corries look amazing , some lovely photos , I will have to visit soon :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:38 pm

nice one rockhoppr and some cracking pics
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby monty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Cracking report RH. Thats a big day in great hills with great weather. Photos are superb. Loved it. :D 8)
monty

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks everyone for all your comments

dave - had a look back at your last WR and think I recognise the jacket - at least I'll know what you look like next time you pass me :lol:

Gavin, jonny, Johnny - when you do get up to the Grey Corries, hope you get a good day for it as the view along the ridge towards Ben Nevis is impressive
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby prkanne » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Wow - what an amazing day. You must be hyper fit. The grey corries are next on my list - they look wonderful from your pics. :thumbup:
prkanne
Munro compleatist

Munros:188   Corbetts:9
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby PeteR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:04 am

Incredible :clap: This is a two dayer for me, that's for sure :lol: Some great pictures of the grey corries :D Absolutely loved these hills when I was up on them. You must have been fair knackered after this weekend :roll:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland