walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnaich with a dusting of snow

Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnaich with a dusting of snow

Postby davetherave » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 07/11/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 7th November 2009
Completed by. Dave and Wilson
Weather. Mist with mostly poor visibility. (Snow on the tops)
Distance. 20 km
Time. 8-½ hrs

Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich

Starting from Kenknock Farm Glen Lochy

Arrived sharp, and was on my way by 8.15, the rain was on but I was hopeful it would not last. Looking down the glen in the direction of Badour the mist and low cloud looked like it was going to effect visibility once again

Left parking area taking the track NNW for about 0.75km then headed along the upper glen track for 4/5 km or so just above Batavaime then crossed a bridge at the Allt Bada Mhaim and carried on north for another 1km before heading in a North West direction to Sron Nan Eun.

Still no views, thick mist and low cloud is seeing to that, and in the distance, on the approach to Sron Nan Eun I can see that there is a dusting of snow, this I never expected……

wilson just past Sron Nan Eun.JPG

The wind has picked up and the temperature has dropped significantly there is also much more snow at the 800 feet height. “ Constant navigation needed “ thankfully soon we get there.

Creag Mhor.JPG

creag Mhor  summit.JPG

This is our 1st real test in the hills with the poor visibility and the snow, my adrenalin is now pumping, although there is only 2/3” of snow, I do feel this is helping me with much needed experience. Quick summit pic is taken then we move on to our next objective.

We head west then North to skirt round the crags on the summit, then I get a break, the clouds have threatened to break up and there is glimpses of the sun trying to burn through. Then I catch a glimpse of this, I cant believe it Son Tairbh and I have to go up and over it to reach my next munro of the day. It really looked daunting from near the summit of Creag Mhor and at this stage I thought it was out of my league and contemplated going round the side, but as I descended into the bealach I realised it was doable for me

Sron Tarbh (1).JPG

Sron Tarbh (3).JPG

Boy was I happy of this short break I really thought
Son Tairbh looked magnificent with its snow-covered top. Now all that was left was to go up and over. No sooner than I started to climb the surrounding views had gone. Within no time I had reached the top I had surprised my self.

Onwards to Stob an Fhir Bhogha then headed NE then north up on to the summit of Beinn Heasgarnaich. For some reason it was not near as cold up here, so I take a ten-minute break and let Wilson have a short play in the snow….

play time.JPG

Beinn Heasgarnaich.JPG

I now head NE and skim the edge of the coire Sheasgarnaich and head due East across the bogs criss crossing the Allt Tarsuinn along the way in the direction of Creag Nam Bodach and then down on to the road that leads to Glen Lyon.
Creag nan Bodach.JPG

Meall Buidhe.JPG

Meall Glas and Beinn Cheathaich (4).JPG

Great feeling getting off the bogs and getting the feet onto solid ground. Visibility is now better than it has been all day and im now able to get a couple better pics. Now feeling very happy with my efforts and the 3km walk back to the car is not a problem, surprisingly I manage to run part of it.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland