walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenridding Dodd & Sheffield Pike

Glenridding Dodd & Sheffield Pike

Postby MiniRambo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Glenridding Dodd, Sheffield Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Sheffield Pike

Date walked: 05/06/2012

Time taken: 2.25

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 625m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked on my own on Jubilee bank holiday Tuesday.

Parked in the central car park of Glenridding. An overcast day, the forecast was for rain spreading from the south. I commenced walking at 12.15pm.

P1020121.JPG
Sheffield Pike and Glenridding Dodd from Glenridding

I followed the road towards Greeside Mine. Having crossed the cattle grid at Rake Cottages, I started the steep ascent of 'The Rake' which quickly led me to a col bewteen Glenridding Dodd and Sheffield Pike. I headed up to my right and soon attained the summit of Glenridding Dodd. Cloud had begun to move in and the dampness in the air soon became more evident as rain. I stopped for a lunch break. Met a handful of other walkers before making my way back to the col.

P1020123.JPG
Sheep on route up The Rake

P1020124.JPG
Sheffield Pike from Glenridding Dodd

P1020126.JPG
Glenridding Dodd summit

P1020127.JPG
View (or not) of Ullswater

A steep ascent up the front face of Sheffield Pike awaited me. It was a very pleasant ascent with the opportunity at times to get my hands on the rock. The path twisted and turned and eventually led me to the subsidiary top of Heron Pike. The ground now levelled and became softer under foot and would probably have been quite wet/boggy had it not been such a dry spring. Quickly made my way to the top and took the obligatory photo.

P1020128.JPG
On route up Sheffield Pike, looking back to G D

P1020130.JPG
Steep bit over, now for the summit!

P1020132.JPG
At the summit cairn

P1020133.JPG
Swart Beck near Greenside Mine

With the weather closing in I didn't stay long, instead headed due west and gradually dropped down to Greenside Mine. I put my hard shell on. Pleaseant walk down through the mine area and back along the road to the car park. All in all only out 2 hours 25 minutes but had an enjoyable time.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Glenridding Dodd & Sheffield Pike

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:41 am

Good stuff MR, nice to be out in any weather (well almost) particularly when you have the place largely to yourself, that first summit shot looks like you weren't sure if the timer was working :lol: Ullswater still looks good, even through the clag :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:02 am

Nice route MR - I am amazed you had the place to yourself on a bank holiday weekend....may be the weather wa enough to keep people away. Even if the weather wasn't ideal you still caught some nice photo's!!

:D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby john923 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:17 pm

I would agree with you that the ascent up to Heron Pike from Glenridding Dodd is the most attractive section. And we missed you by a day! We did these two on the Wednesday, but from Glencoyne. I think we must have been luckier with the weather - our views of Ullwater looked like this. :)
IMG_4732.jpg
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland