walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

midsummer sunrise - any suggestions?

midsummer sunrise - any suggestions?

Postby mband » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:51 am

I've always wanted to see a midsummer's sunrise from the top of a munro. Thinking about Schiehallion as a possibility starting about 11pm. Anybody got any other ideas? Weather depending of course!
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Re: midsummer sunrise - any suggestions?

Postby Alastair S » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:20 pm

I'm up for this again this year. Last year the weather was pants on around solstice so I ended up going a couple of weeks later - the result was my best summer report: Lochnagar Dawn. The Glenshee Munros are an easy & short climb but aren't that inspiring. Might try something from the Linn of Dee this time but even with a MTB an earlier start will be required.

Other suggestions welcome :)
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby EwaMH » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm fancying doing this this year too so look forward to seeing suggestions :) Will be up assynt way the week after so fingers crossed some good conditions makes something possible there at least!
EwaMH

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:33   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:16

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:31 pm

About 40 years ago I left the Canadian Campsite (where the Lui joins the Dee) at 10.30 p.m. and we still got up to the top of McDui for the sunrise. That was without bikes, so if you have a bike I don't think there should be a problem. Top might be busier, mind: there were only about two or three other folk up there then, but even 10 years later that had grown to over a dozen.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Lenore » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Alastair S wrote: the result was my best summer report: Lochnagar Dawn.

Ooooh stunning that one from last year!! Unbelievable, what a gorgeous morning. I'm so in awe of your pictures :clap: :clap:
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mband » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Great photos there from Lochnagar, fueled my enthusiasm. Will give Lochnagar a miss though as been up there fairly recently and also saw an advert for a guide company to go up for midsummer sunrise (£40) so may be a bit busy. Fingers crossed for decent weather. :)
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby Gythral » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:15 pm

mband wrote:Great photos there from Lochnagar, fueled my enthusiasm. Will give Lochnagar a miss though as been up there fairly recently and also saw an advert for a guide company to go up for midsummer sunrise (£40) so may be a bit busy. Fingers crossed for decent weather. :)

I wonder if the guide read the report and saw the photos here... :D
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby tenohfive » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Alastair S wrote: the result was my best summer report: Lochnagar Dawn.

Second and fourth photo's are fantastic. The fourth being prettier but the second really does seem to capture the moment.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby FourLeggedPal » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:41 am

We've taken to doing most of our walks overnight or in the very, very early pre-dawn light. Or even camping out on the summit to get sunset and sunrise. We always walk with our dogs and summer days are too hot for them. Morning and evening light makes for better photos too. Not done enough yet to be able to advise you though.

We're always on the lookout for great hills. Our preference is:

a) Not too long or tricky a walk (because our dogs are a handful!)
b) Because we're into photography we generally want some foreground interest as well as great views. So rocky summits are good. Hills that have worked well for us so far are the Cobbler and The Storr on Skye.

Looking down onto the Sanctuary from the great cliffs of the Storr - late May.

The Cobbler in late April - I think the sun might now be rising from behind Ben Imme so perhaps not so good? Winter would be best for here I expect.

Sunrise and sunset is always moving - what works great at one time of year can be pretty dull at another. To find out exactly when and where the sun will rise and set at any given place in the country (even taking account of height above sea level) there's a handy little program called Stellarium (http://www.stellarium.org/). Just enter your location and it will show you exactly where the sun, moon and stars are at any given moment in time.

Sorry I can't be of more help. But I'm very interest in answers to this too!

Alistair, love your photos!!
FourLeggedPal
Munro compleatist

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:11 am

Another tool I use is the Photographers Ephemeris, downloadable for free, shows the line of sight for any location for sunrise, sunset, moonrise and set.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Alastair S » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:About 40 years ago I left the Canadian Campsite (where the Lui joins the Dee) at 10.30 p.m. and we still got up to the top of McDui for the sunrise. That was without bikes, so if you have a bike I don't think there should be a problem. Top might be busier, mind: there were only about two or three other folk up there then, but even 10 years later that had grown to over a dozen.

Yes, Ben Macdui would be great if the weather plays ball. Would MTB up the to Derry Lodge & take the Sron Riach route, but not too sure about fording the Luibeg Burn in the dark. What's this crossing like?

spiderwebb wrote:Another tool I use is the Photographers Ephemeris, downloadable for free, shows the line of sight for any location for sunrise, sunset, moonrise and set.

Yep, its the bee's knees.

The solstice is on Wed 20 June this year. The sun sets at 10:12 but civil twilight goes on to 11:22 and twilight returns at 3:10. There is also a new moon that night so there won't be any moonlight around. I'm not too bothered about hitting the exact date - the weather is much more important to me. Also reduces the chances of hordes of folk :lol:

And thanks again for the kind comments about the Lochnagar photos :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Hi Alastair,
If you're going up Sron Riach you don't cross the Luibeg at the ford. Break away from the path just before you go through the deer fence at the east side of the Luibeg and follow the path in towards Coire Sputan Dearg. You don't have to cross the Luibeg until the foot of Sron Riach, where it is much easier crossed.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Postby gaffr » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Maybe, given the right morning, Carn-Dearg Mhoadhonach .1179.....within a couple of hundred meters of Carn Mor Dearg :) early morning sunlight on the Nevis cliffs would be worth an image or two. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Worthwhile point: if you're interested in photography, Ben McDui might not be the best hill to climb. The plateau means that the foreground is all boulders and your view of dramatic cliffs'n'stuff is limited. Something a little sharper might give you more photo opportunities.
Just a thought - I'd hate anyone to think I was briefing gainst the Cairngorms.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion