walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan and a family first

Ben Cruachan and a family first

Postby old danensian » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 03/06/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1419m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A wet trudge up to the Devil’s Kitchen above the Ogwyn valley in Wales had been the last time we’d been on a hill together: summits were neither seen nor visited. To say it had been an unsuccessful introduction to her father’s passion for mountains would have been a gross misunderstatement. The most enjoyable part of that weekend, about fifteen years ago, had been the visit to the Ironbridge Gorge museum on the way home.

But she made her own way to the hills.

Ben Lomond has already been ticked off and she’s had a view from the top of Snowdon which is more than I ever did in my first half a dozen visits. Now, having made the trip north to our new home in Scotland she said she was game for a hill.

My son-in-law had pointed to Ben Cruachan when we’d been up hills before and said it was on his list of “to do”s. So three of us were booted and suited last Sunday and away from the last parking spot at the station just after nine.

The route is well described in many reports on the site, so it’s impressions , memories and a few photographs that follow:

the short, sharp shock of a steep and sudden start

Cruachan-01.jpg
Looking back from the initial slopes above the station

the concrete brutalism of the dam

Cruachan-02.jpg
Youth and energy streak ahead

the ascent of the ladders and the emphatic “I’m not looking up just for one of your photographs”

Cruachan-03.jpg
No, I'm not looking up

Cruachan-04.jpg
South from above the Cruachan Reservoir

the steepening scramble over jumbled rocks and boulders as the top gets nearer

Cruachan-05.jpg
Youth still leads - but the tortoise keeps on coming

Cruachan-06.jpg
That's my girl!

my pride at our first “Dad and daughter” summit shot

the hidden dyke of different rock that unlocks the door to the Cruachan slabs

Cruachan-07.jpg
"There's a way round that?" - see, no confidence in the old man.

the fine relaxing high level walk to Stob Diamh

her own sense of achievement looking back at the ridge and the skyline profile of Ben Cruachan’s final slopes

Cruachan-08.jpg
"I did that?" - or - "I did that!"

the wry sense of satisfaction while looking at the showers that appeared to sweep along Glencoe and across the Ben in the distance

the midges waiting in ambush at the deer fence on the way down

and despite the weary legs and aching muscles, an understanding that we’d do that again

Thanks
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Ben Cruachan and a family first

Postby davedanson28 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:40 am

Nice report, Cruachan is my favourite hill, I first climbed it with my son back in April.

Sure you two will manage a few more summits together! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:49 am

Nice report. I was up there last weekend too. It's a great circuit. My daughter also comes out from time to time with me and it's a great way to spend time together. She is only 11 though! :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby GillC » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:49 am

Lovely report OD,,particulary poignant for me as I too "Found my own way to the hills" after a childhood of being dragged, kicking, screaming and huffing up and down hills by my dad. Glad to say, we had the Father / Daughter pic on Ben Lomond, means so much now he's not around anymore. (still know hes proud of me, every time Im out in this wonderful country) Keep up the good reports and Welcome to Scotland. GillC
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby morag1 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:24 pm

A lovely report, hope your daughter well and truly has the bug, hope you all get out on another family adventure soon :D
morag1

Postby jonny616 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Another nice report OD. I remember the steep sharp shock :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Bod » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Yes OD, great report there.....I love the sincerity and joy portrayed of a great family day out, Cruachan offers a wonderful horseshoe route :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland