walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond, My first munro

Ben Lomond, My first munro

Postby allansmitchell » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:35 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 09/11/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 940m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left Rowadenan car park, 9am, cold and sunny with no wind.
Rested 2/3 of way up for 15 minutes as I had realy bad headache, took some pain killers then plodded on
Arrived at summit 12.30pm, spent 30 minutes having lunch and taking pictures
Half way down our knees were getting realy sore with the steep decent
Returned to car park 3pm, difficult but great day, My first ever Munro and other halfs 4th time up Ben Lomond, have a lot of catching up to do
Attachments

Up_and_back_Ben_Lomond.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by allansmitchell on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ben Lomond, My first munro

Postby sloosh » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Looks like you had a great day for it... and your wife(?) is still smiling at the end, so result!
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby allansmitchell » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:08 pm

We couldnt have asked for a better day. My girl friend was the one that pushed me on when I could have quit, no fun walking with a headache. But the views soon took my mind of the discomfort. Im sure we were both smiling on the decent.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby skuk007 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Well done on bagging your first Munro, and struggling through the headache.
Planned your next walks yet?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby monty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Congrats on your first munro Allan. Well done :D

I must admit I would not be attemping a munro if I had a headache. I would have put it off for another day when I felt better. Safety is the main concern when we walk/climb these mountains.

Good luck on your next munro :D
monty

Postby allansmitchell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:44 pm

Thank you all, proud as punch I got round to it, especially since I thought it would take me 2 years of physio before being able to attemt it. So a year and a half early (But dont tell my doctor :shock: ). Didnt set off with a headache, and felt being 2/3 of the way up I would continue after taking some pain killers. Never had a concern about saftey as my girlfriend is worse than a health and saftey officer when telling me off.
Planning to do the Cobbler this weekend dependant on weather, and how quickly my joints recover from Sunday :D
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby Milesy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:27 pm

I am not a morning person so I usually have a headache every single morning I head off into the hills haha Good on you :lol:
Milesy
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland