walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Third time lucky - Bruach na Frithe

Third time lucky - Bruach na Frithe

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Route description: Bruach na Frithe

Munros included on this walk: Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 03/06/2012

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 939m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Since we started off hill walking back in 2007 three mountains have probably stood out above all others as ones we wished to climb most. They are the three “easy” munros on our favorite place on earth, The Isle of Skye. It took a while but we finally managed to bag Bla Bheinn in 2010 and Sgurr na Banachdaich in 2011. The weather for both of these weeks was quite poor and our summit days on both occasions were the only days when we could sensibly attempt a Cuillin. Although both outings were very enjoyable, Bla Bheinn especially, we were denied summit views on both occasions. Could we make it third time lucky with Bruach na Frithe?

After reading reports of seemingly endless great weather on Skye in the weeks leading up to our visit it was a relief that the good conditions were set to hold for at least the first half of the holiday. We left a dismal drizzly County Durham behind and made our way north towards the dazzlingly sunny West Highlands.

Not wanting to take any chances, we took advantage of the fine forecast drove the short distance to Sligachan to have a crack at Bruach na Frithe on our first day. In stark contrast to our other two Cuillin conquests Bruach has quite a long walk in but given it also affords a gentle ascent for most of the way this can only be a good thing. One thing just about all the paths to the Cuillin have in common is the absolutely beautiful streams that accompany you for the first half of your walk in. If you’re intimidated by the thought of climbing a Cuillin you’ll still have a phenomenal day out by going as high as you’re comfortable with mainly due to the outstanding scenery of the foothills. This wasn’t a day for turning back however with conditions fantastic, plenty of blue sky and a light North Easterly wind keeping us cool. It must have been dry for weeks on Skye as I’ve never seen the Island so parched in a decade of visiting the Misty Isle.

IMG_9448.jpg
The Cuillin behind Alltdearg House

IMG_9450.jpg
A dry Allt Dearg Mor

IMG_9457.jpg
Sgurr na Gillean and Sgurr a' Bhastier

IMG_9464.jpg
Grace and Hughie take five

IMG_9468.jpg
That's not the top Hughie!

Progress was steady but slightly hampered by a grumpy Grace who was suffering from a sore toe. Eventually we made it to the upper corrie where the ground gets distinctly rougher. Still a clear path leads up the scree to what, today at least, is a little bit of heaven. The view of Bla Bheinn across Lota corrie hits you as you reach the Bealach and quite simply takes you breath away. Graces grumpiness was totally blown away in this astonishing location as all her woes were forgotten. Following a brief rest and a little scramble up a convenient lump to get a better view of Am Bastier and its tooth, we set off to Bruach. This wasn’t as straight forward as it should have been because we got tempted up to the crest of the ridge on several occasions for a bit of simple but enjoyable scrambling. We reached the summit soon enough however to be granted the best view we’ve ever encountered by a country mile.

IMG_9481.jpg
Hughie surveys the way ahead

IMG_9482.jpg
Bruach na Frithe

IMG_9483.jpg
Bla Bhienn across Lota Corrie

IMG_9496.jpg
Looking back to Am Bastier

IMG_9502.jpg
Sgurr nan Gillean

IMG_9504.jpg
Sgurr nan Gillean from Bruach na Frithe

IMG_9517.jpg
Happy family!

It’s perhaps the savagery of the ridge from close up that affects you most. The volcanic origins of the landscape are all too obvious as you stare in astonishment at the tortured terrain as it winds its way Southwards. Moments in a place like this are never long enough and after drinking in the views for as long as we could we set off for the long but satisfied walk back to the car. Our other little one, Hughie the westie, decided his paws had had enough several times on the way down and had a few carries but overall enjoyed his day. Although quite why he decided to indulge in a dust bath on the way down is anybodies guess.

IMG_9523.jpg
Looking down Corrie na Creiche

IMG_9538.jpg
Allt Dearg Mor

IMG_9543.jpg
Marsco and Bla Bheinn

It had been an unforgettable day, the best we’ve ever had in the hills and if you get the weather I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

IMG_9557.jpg
Sunset over Broadford Bay
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Third time lucky - Bruach na Frithe

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Lovely jubbly, got my eye on this for this year hopefully :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby PeteR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Lovely sunset shot 8)

When I look at the Skye Munros it just fills me with a mixture of excitement and dread. I can't wait to experience them, but they scare the life out of me too. Your photos managed to hit the mark on both points :D :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Bod » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:25 pm

Enjoyed reading your report and viewing your photos very much. I love Skye too and can't wait to get back :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:42 pm

wow - what a stunner JK, beautiful stark landscapes up top almost like a different world to the approach. I can see why (with the weather too) this was your best yet, what a wonderful day to have the whole family out in such a spectacular place :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:02 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Lovely jubbly, got my eye on this for this year hopefully :thumbup:

I'm Jealous already and I've just been.

PeteR wrote:Lovely sunset shot 8)

When I look at the Skye Munros it just fills me with a mixture of excitement and dread. I can't wait to experience them, but they scare the life out of me too. Your photos managed to hit the mark on both points :D :shock:

I'm glad I have no realistic ambition to complete in some ways. Really not sure I could manage some of the more difficult peaks. The three I've done are fantastic however :D

Bod wrote:Enjoyed reading your report and viewing your photos very much. I love Skye too and can't wait to get back :D :D :clap:

Thanks and neither can we!

ChrisW wrote:wow - what a stunner JK, beautiful stark landscapes up top almost like a different world to the approach. I can see why (with the weather too) this was your best yet, what a wonderful day to have the whole family out in such a spectacular place :D

It's certainly like nothing else I've ever encountered anywhere. Even better when you actually get to see it.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby jimandandrea » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Fantastic pics there - excellent report. Loved it :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Yeehaa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Well done to the whole family :clap:
Yeehaa
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:25 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:We left a dismal drizzly County Durham behind and made our way north

So did Jeff and I, on the Saturday, going up to the Trossachs with the weather improving the further north we drove :D

Great report John and some fantastic photos :thumbup: Glad you all had such a wonderful day :D
Bla Bheinn is one of my favourite mountains so loved that particular photo :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:19 pm

jimandandrea wrote:Fantastic pics there - excellent report. Loved it :clap: :clap:

Yeehaa wrote:Well done to the whole family :clap:

Thanks Folks :D

SusieThePensioner wrote:So did Jeff and I, on the Saturday, going up to the Trossachs with the weather improving the further north we drove :D

Great report John and some fantastic photos :thumbup: Glad you all had such a wonderful day :D
Bla Bheinn is one of my favourite mountains so loved that particular photo :lol:

Just wait until you see the pic of Bla Bheinn I took on the Thursday morning :wink:
You'll have to wait a bit though because I've got a few more reports to get through.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Just found a few more pics I'd inexplicably left off the report, hope you like them. :oops:

BnF(1.1).jpg
Cuillin panorama

IMG_9509.jpg
Sgurr Alasdair and the Inn Pin

IMG_9508.jpg
Looking down Harta Corrie
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Nice report. The views from Bruach are my favourite out of the Cuillin summits I've been to. I climbed it last year on a sunny afternoon and spent at least an hour on top taking photos, as with every passing minute the light changed and the ridge looked different. I like your word 'savagery' - that's a good word for the view of the ridge :clap:
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby colgregg » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Great report JK It's certainly a dramatic summit. Bruach was my First Skye Munro on my first solo visit having been forced back from the bealach the previous year due to appalling weather. Just planning a Scottish foray for next week and your pics have got me thinking about unfinished business there.....................
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:58 pm

BobMcBob wrote:Nice report. The views from Bruach are my favourite out of the Cuillin summits I've been to. I climbed it last year on a sunny afternoon and spent at least an hour on top taking photos, as with every passing minute the light changed and the ridge looked different. I like your word 'savagery' - that's a good word for the view of the ridge :clap:

It is a wonderful place on a good day, I could have spent hours up there. Thanks for the kind comments.

colgregg wrote:Great report JK It's certainly a dramatic summit. Bruach was my First Skye Munro on my first solo visit having been forced back from the bealach the previous year due to appalling weather. Just planning a Scottish foray for next week and your pics have got me thinking about unfinished business there.....................

I don't know why but Bruach was a far more dramatic summit than I was expecting. I'd seen plenty pics but they just don't do it justice. As for bad weather the Cuillin ridge is no place to be in poor conditions that's for sure. It was misty when we topped Sgurr na Banachdich and even that gave me a slight feeling of unease.
So is your unfinished business on the Inn Pin or Gillean then?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby MattBonnie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:58 am

JK,
Great post! My wife and I are going back to Skye this summer, this time with our 4-month old baby girl. We've only hiked northern Skye, not the Cuilllins. We're considering Bruach an Frithe or Sgurr na Banachdich. Would you say it is possible (and not completely crazy) to complete this hike with a baby carrier on me? Guides say no scrambling necessary but a first hand account is always best...
Thanks!
MattBonnie
Mountain Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland