walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nipping out for a quick pint; and seeing Monty on his bike..

Nipping out for a quick pint; and seeing Monty on his bike..

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chlachair, Geal Chàrn & Creag Pitridh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 10/06/2012

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 26.3 km

Ascent: 1539m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So Sunday was bye bye Monsters day as they head south. Big boos; always love it when they come to stay and join me in the hills with my gorgeous lady :) So with sadness brewing in the air; I need a hill fix!! Scraggles is in; and there's three red pins on my map at Beinn a'Chalchair that need taking care of... And I need to work off some cheese fondue!! A half a kilo or so of the stuff...

Beinn a'Chalchair 000.jpg
Introducing the Monsters to Cheese Fondue

MWIS was spot on; dry; but low cloud...

We reach the 'Bridge by the beach' in 50 minutes walking at a steady pace of just over 6km/hr. It's nice to be walking in cooler conditions to be honest. This was the highlight of the walk for me; hadn't particularly found the walk reports of these hills inspiring but this beach I was looking forward to; I could camp here; a lovely spot :)

Beinn a'Clachair 001.jpg
The much photographed beach from the wooden bridge

And then for some reason it all got silly; we don't stop on the ascent of Beinn a'Chlachair; and so after 2 hours and six minutes we're at the top of the highest of the three having done exactly 10km at an average speed of 4.8 km/hr. Punishment for the Cheese Fondue I guess... Haha

Beinn a'Chlachair 002.jpg
The summit of Beinn a'Chlachair

We don't stop long; not much point; there's nothing to see; so it's onward to Geal Charn. I'm not liking the terrain much; it's mainly bouldery and painful underfoot; as well as being difficult to get any kind of rhythm; but there we go... It's 5.5 km to the summit of Geal Charn and we see that off in 1 hour 20... Again not long at the top; no point ; no views...

Beinn a'Clachair 003.jpg
Geal Charn Summit

It's a further 2 km to the summit of Creag Pitridh which has the only path we see aside from the track in/out. We take care of this in around half an hour; and Scraggles is somewhat elated when to his surprise he finds a can of Strongbow on the summit on his arrival. How did that get there? Mysterious hills these... Still; we stop here and enjoy a pint for ten mins or so; it's Sunday after all...

Beinn a'Clachair 004.jpg
Scraggles finds a Strongbow on the summit of Creag Pitridh

So at as near as dammit the 4 hour mark we head back for the car; it's a swift descent to the track but nothing more than a fast walk; no running; and then the walk out along the track which we walk at a pacy 7.5 km/hr. We stop briefly to talk to a couple out with their labradors... Love labradors :)

And that's it; aside from a viewing of Monty on his bike (which explains his time) we're back at the car and done with this walk in 5 hours 17 minutes...

Monty.jpg
Monty on his bike at Beinn a'Chlachair

2012 - 06 - 10 - Beinn a'Chlachair 004.jpg
The Stats...

2012 - 06 - 10 - Beinn a'Chlachair.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Nipping out for a quick pint; and seeing Monty on his bi

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:26 am

Love it! So that's where I left my tinny! Please send price of can plus reasonable compensation for injury to feelings to po box 2dal Mat1. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby laconic surf » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 am

I'm planning on doing this trio tomorrow if the weather plays ball, thinking of taking the bike as far as the Lochan mind. Hopefully, i'll get some views, but I doubt it :lol:
Good time you guys did tho - perhaps cheese fondue is the way forward :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby craigee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:33 am

Aye it was great hoof Sir D - Cheers for The 'Bow. Always welcome....the good ol' days!
My legs are bit tender this morning after that, but not as sore as my stomach muscles, laughing at the picture of Monty. I can't tell if he's sweating though..... :clap:
See you on 22nd for the 9 Fanny's... (a tinny at the top of each?)
Slanj
Scraggles
craigee
Mountain Walker

Munros:210   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby steven65 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:15 pm

That is an incredibly quick time for these 3 ! :clap:
I did them last week - in a much slower time - i`m no superman :lol:
Was up there on again Saturday, about a mile along the road "canyoning" at my future son-in-laws stag do w/end organised via Fullonadventure from Aviemore , great fun.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby victoriajarrett » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Was depressing leaving Scotland - Kids had a great week nothcing up a few more 'fearsome' munro's ;)

Scraggles, we are still waiting for the report on Ben More!!

9 cans of 'bow' on - perhaps replace your fluid in your camel packs for beer/cider!

Knocking them out quick now boys :) :clap:
victoriajarrett
Mountaineer

Munros:41   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby monty » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Great time on these guys. Nice photo of me on ma bike :lol: :lol: Mind you when I done these I hadn't walked out the door for a month and had bad knees and bad cold etc etc etc :lol: :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby morag1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 pm

So funny finding that can of lager on the trig point :lol:
morag1

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:18 pm

who is leaving lager up mountains...and why do I never find one..???
Great photoshop of Monty :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby dunrig » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 am

why don't you just take the next (quicker) step and start running ? have a look at steve fallon's website-running you should be able to get round this trio in about 3:40hr.
dunrig

Postby Ranger » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:11 am

Nice report :)

Leave a can on the summit cairn of every Munro, surely a more utilitarian tradition that just dumping a rock there! :lol:

dunrig wrote:why don't you just take the next (quicker) step and start running ? have a look at steve fallon's website-running you should be able to get round this trio in about 3:40hr.

Running across the mountains? Not for me, a bit extreme, don't think I could enjoy them that way. Why be in such a rush?
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 am

I couldn't sleep last night because of that photo of Monty! Very disturbing indeed! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland