walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Postby Stretch » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 08/11/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After doing four Drumochter munros on Saturday my friends and I wanted a bit more of a challenge and so Sunday it was off to Loch Earn for a trip up Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin on a fabulous day. This was a busy route for most of the day but seeing that we were a bit uncertain about the 'scramble' up the Stuc it was helpful to see other walkers heading up the steep slopes. The path up to Ben Vorlich is in excellent shape and the three of us plodded along until we reached the summit (2.5 hours). The views were spectacular across to Ben Lawers, over to Ben More, east to Dundee (ugly smoke stacks being the exception) and southwest to the Trossachs. The coffee and pork pies went down nicely on the top and then we headed down to the bealach between the two munros. At the bottom of Stuc a'Chroin we contemplated whether to bypass the scramble and contour around to the right, or take on the steep slopes. Still up for a challenge we decided to try the most direct route. At the boulder field you can go left or right. Left proved to be the best choice as far as we were concerned. It was hardly a scramble, you just had to be careful with your footing as it was icey in a few places. We emerged near the summit about an hour after we left Ben Vorlich and felt really rewarded by our efforts. Once again the views all around were superb. After soaking in the views three satisfied post grads headed off for the scree slope which takes you quickly off the hill. It was icey in a few places but wasn't too bad on the knees overall. From the bottom its a bit of a boggy mess until you contour around the side of Ben Vorlich. Eventually you return to the main path and cruise on back to the car. For me the best part about this route was the fact that from start to finish you have great views of a variety of mountain ranges in all directions and you never really lose sight of them. Overall it was a spectacular day out, especially the climb up Stuc a'Chroin!

Loch Earn.jpg

Ben Lawers Range.jpg

Ben More and Stob Binnein from Ben Vorlich.jpg

West from Ben Vorlich.jpg

Stuc a'Chroin from Ben Vorlich.jpg

South face of Ben Vorlich.jpg

Before the light scramble on Stuc a'Chroin.jpg

Summit of Stuc a'Chroin.jpg

Ben Vorlich from Stuc a'Chroin.jpg

Dundee.jpg

Taking in the view.jpg

Lochan near Stuc a'Chroin.jpg

Ben More and Stob Binnein.jpg

A fine day out.jpg
Last edited by Stretch on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Postby Alan S » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:23 pm

Well done on doing the both of these,i never managed it on 2 attempts
Really wish i had done the wee scramble on stuc a'chroin but i will have another go at this.
When i first saw the pic of dundee i thought it was grangemouth the views must be really similar
Nice pics 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby benno » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:57 pm

jealous. The air looks so clear. When I saw that picture of Ben Vorlich with the cairn of Stuc I thought you'd knicked it, I have an almost identical one (albeit taken with a camera phone so not a patch on yours..) from when I did these, it seems the cairn has slightly shrunk in yours though!

benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby munrowalker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Scored a cracking day for it Stretch, especially after all the snow the day before!
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Stretch » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Alan - you could be right, but we thought it looked like Dundee and we could see what appeared to be the Tay Bridge, but maybe it is Grangemouth.

Benno - I promise I didn't steal rocks off the cairn, but it does seem like someone was up to no good :lol:

Munrowalker - I saw your post about all of the snow near Crainlaraich but Ben Vorlich hardly had a trace on it. Over to Ben Lawers and Ben More though certainly got some of it. Shame you couldn't join us for this, Stuc a'Chroin was a fun one.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 am

Great pics - thanks for the detailed one of the scramble - I'm always on the look-out for info like that. Rocks blow off the top of the cairns in severe gales like we had last week all the time. Also, if they weren't well-placed they can just tumble off anyway. Alternatively, whole cairns can fall down when you try to 'improve' them (see my walk report on Mealls Corranaich and a' Choire Leith for my guilt in this :shock: )
mountain coward

Postby monty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:28 pm

HI Stretch,
Nice report and like you say some great views of the surrounding mountain ranges. Ben Vorlich was my second munro on its own a couple of years ago with my nephew and his mate. The weather was terrible and at the top was freezing snow. Therefore we could not continue to stuc a chroin which I done myself on 2nd Nov last year. The weather then was trmendous :D
Attachments
IMAGE_056 stuc a chroin.jpg
IMAGE_060.jpg
monty

Postby Stretch » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Monty and thanks for the compliments. I was actually sweating like a pig by the time I reached both summits. So much for frosty start to the morning!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland