walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee 6

Glenshee 6

Postby thand » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 10/03/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So after a disappointing finish to our previous walk being defeated by the Glas Maol/Creag Leacach double :oops: Dave and I decided it was time to exact some revenge on Glen Shee.

Not the best condition this time, the wind was up and the cloud was low, still munro passes had been granted by the wives and we weren't going to be beatedn by a little Scottish weather.

After an early start from Aberdeen we were walking by 7.30 and made pretty swift progress up Cairn an Turc, then almost a jog across to Cairn of Claise and it was two down before breakfast!!! This is how all bagging trips should be.
P1010010.JPG
Loving my MC Hammer pants in the wind

Looking east we could see Tom Buidhe and Tolmount and the small climbs up both continued to bouy our egos. 8)
P1010015.JPG
It was a little watershipdown
P1010017.JPG
P1010029.JPG
the clag, oh the clag
P1010035.JPG
I think he was laughing at us

Soon we were back at Cairn of Claise when Dave uttered the words we would both come to regret..."how about the six so we can save a trip back for Creag Leacach?". Well it was still before lunch, the sky wasn't all cloud so why not...

30 minutes later the clag was even further down, the wind was up and we were trying to find the summit of Glas Maol via compass bearing so we could hide out in the summit shelter :wtf:

Ok so the clag was down, we were freezing but we were back on the summit of Glas Maol, surely we couldn't let a piddly little hill elude us again?

P1010037.JPG
sweet sanctury

Again followed the compass to find the fence that would lead us along a hellish trudge to our last hill of the day. At this point I would normally up the pace and jst get the job done, unfortunately Dave's shoulder was playing up so he was finding the whole thing more than a little uncomfortable...

Right summit 6 in the bag, nothing else could possibly go wrong...
P1010039.JPG
right lets get off this blinking hill

so after we left the end fo the wall we cut back to try and head down to the ski centre to then get down to the road and an easy walk out of the wind and clag back to the car parked back at the bridge...in theory. In practice...lost the path and ended up weaving our way along Aalt Coir Fionn.

Never been so glad to see the car in my life!
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland