walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor Gaoith

Sgor Gaoith

Postby weemistermac » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 09/11/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had plans to do DIY type stuff but the sun was streaming in the window and blue skies abounded once I got out of bed. So I checked the Mountain Weather Guide, just to make sure, and packed up the rucksack and ran out the door. The dog whined at me all the way to Grantown on Spey so I had to stop at the Anagach Woods to allow him a wee jobby! :?

A quick stop at the Esso station in Aviemore for sandwiches in chocolate and I finally hit the Glen Feshie road. The road up to the car park before Achlean was a bit longer than I expected and it was 11.45am before I started the hike. A wee bit late for a November start but I'm quite a quick walker so wasn't too troubled.

My OS Landranger 36 map is about 30 years old and I realised the land has changed a bit since it was printed! The car park is not on my map and I discovered it's about half a mile before you reach the farmhouse at Achlean. As you reach the farmhouse there's a rough path to the left marked with a stone. I almost missed it even though it's carved with <- Carn Bán Mòr! This track takes you across quite boggy heath until a delapidated gate into the forestry plantation. I had to check my map again as the plantation is tiny in my version and the path hardly touches it. In reality you walk through this newish plantation for a while. The path is loose stone, a bit like a dried up burn bed.

Before too long you emerge from the woods to look up the Allt Fhearnagan towards Carn Bán Mòr and what I guess is Meall Dubhag. The path continues to your left and is very visible as it hugs the southern slopes of Carn Bán Beag.
PB074158.jpg
Emerging from the trees

PB074160.jpg
The path off to the left

The path is in good order and the incline isn't too tough but I've been renovating an old fireplace in my cottage and the stone and plaster dust made me feel like I'd borrowed the lungs of a 60 Marlboro a day Jazz singer, so I found it quite hard work for a change. I was maybe pushing myself unnecessarily too.
PB074165.jpg
The path ahead

The path and the source of the burn meet just as you near the top of the bealach. Shortly after there's a cairn marking where several tracks converge. Just as I was nearing here the clouds suddenly descended and I couldn't see a damned thing. A quick map-check confirmed my thoughts and I took the first track to the left.
PB074251.jpg
The cairn marking the paths

The climb up Carn Bán Mòr is uneventful and there is a track that is fairly discernible. Although viz was poor I found the cairn for the top and passed it to the left dropping to the next col and the ascent to Sgor Gaoith. I passed a couple here who told me they'd had glorious clear views from the top. I was getting worried that I wouldn't be able to see my sandwich under my nose!
PB074170.jpg
The summit emerging

PB074173.jpg
Getting closer

Then all of a sudden it cleared and I was greeted by amazing views of the craggy outcrop at the peak, Loch Einich, across the loch to Einich Cairn and Braeriach. There's also a glimpse of Loch Morlich and Meall a' Bhuachaille. I was also pleased to see Ben Rinnes off in the distance which I live on the western slope of. Although I couldn't make out my house!
PB074175.jpg
The craggy outcrop at the peak

PB074176.jpg

PB074184.jpg

PB074185.jpg

PB074194.jpg
Loch Einich

PB074196.jpg
2 other walkers descending

I thought rather than descending the way I came up I'd consider dropping to the ext hill along the ridge, Sgòran Dubh Mór, for another view to the North then drop back to the col and down and up and down etc along the 3 bumps including Geal Charn (920m) the join the path at GR870010(ish) and back to the road that way.
PB074203.jpg

Sadly as I reached the top the clouds had dropped again, it was after 3pm and I decided against it and returned to Sgor Gaoith and my original path. Bloody typically the clouds cleared again and I was blessed with some more amazing views.
PB074235.jpg

PB074239.jpg

PB074240.jpg

PB074243.jpg

PB074246.jpg

PB074247.jpg

PB074249.jpg

PB074219.jpg
My loyal walking partner, Barnie

The wander down was a dawdle and I reached the car again just as it was getting dark. A thoroughly enjoyable walk all-in-all.
Last edited by weemistermac on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Sgor Gaoith

Postby benno » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Looks like you had a fairly good day, love the last picture particularly - just to let you know very few of the pics are displaying properly. It says "The attachment is no longer available".
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby weemistermac » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Thanks Benno. I'm trying to rectfy that now. Some more added.
weemistermac

Postby benno » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Ah yes they are gradually appearing...looks like you had a really good day. I like the 2 walkers descending, and the views of Braeriach.
benno

Postby weemistermac » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Phew! Got there in the end!
weemistermac

Postby benno » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:59 pm

:lol: - it would have to be the best ones that wouldn't work eh!? For the third time, love the pics, particularly the ones that just appeared!!
benno

Postby weemistermac » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Thanks again Benno. Yeah it was a great day. Glad I remembered the bloody camera this time! I had a similar day when I did Cairn Gorm and Ben Macdui but forgot it that time. Cursing myself! :?
weemistermac

Postby skuk007 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks for the report and pics mac, enjoyed reading that one. Looked like a great day out. :mrgreen:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby John Burgess » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:26 pm

weemistermac wrote:My OS Landranger 36 map is about 30 years old and I realised the land has changed a bit since it was printed!

Ah, a fellow luddite - welcome :lol:
Beautiful photos: Benno got in before me but that one of 2 walkers descending is great :D

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby monty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi Weemistermac,
Lovely report with some nice pictures. The hills look amazing with the snow caps on them :D
monty

Postby kinley » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:32 pm

It was a corker of a day - we were glad to be 200m further up - kept us above the clouds.

I may have seen you through the binoculars :lol:
kinley

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland