walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Fhionnlaidh - A ridge too far!

Beinn Fhionnlaidh - A ridge too far!

Postby JimboJim » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:40 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Date walked: 27/01/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1040m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having shown my prowess at mountaineering - not - having made it up Schiehallion, the previous autumn, I was easily talked into having another go at this climbing lark, by my good mate Big Jesper, who was keen to keep the "momentum" going. After all, one every six months is good going, is it not and he felt, I should be fit as a fiddle, with the excesses of Christmas and New Year well behind us. Little did he know.
Anyway, Charlie Boy, had Beinn Fhionnlaidh in his sights and felt weather, fitness and enthusiasm indicated a full assault by ourselves in late January. There was some snow about and as we approached Loch Creran from the south, eyes, well, my eyes, were glancing a bit more apprehensively at the snow on the road and hill sides. Anyway, Charles said, "it is never as bad as it looks," and he was right, it was worse, however I was still at that trusting stage, then!
We left from the car park at Elleric, passed through Glenure farm and some grazing deer, who barely gave the novice a glance, probably already sniggering at my many layers of clothing and rucksack packed with loads more. It wasn't too long before the first gallons of sweat were running down my spine and the legs starting to say, 'slow down a bit.' I found the going rather like climbing up a very steep (and soft) sided terracing, where the steps are about one foot high, i.e., very hard going and that was before we reached the snow!
DSCF9731_956_800.JPG
Charlie Boy

Anyway, soon jumpers and jackets were getting removed and left on the hill to get collected on the way down. That also gave me the chance to take a breather, a wee drink and Charles, to give a few reassuring words. We hit the snow about 1000 feet, which just did not help my morale one bit and serious doubts began to fill my head, as something like lead jelly, filled my legs. I was begining to realise, this was not another Schiehallion and I was not going to make it.
DSCF9694.JPG
Towards the summit

Charlie Boy persevered with the pep talks and regular stops, but despite the magestic views and dreams of making it to the top, I was beat, despite making it to a more level area, by Lochan Cairn Dearg.
P1270048.JPG
Lochan
I was only holding the Jaf back and gallantly told him to go on himself, placing myself at the mercy of the driving blizzard conditions like Capt. Scott of Antartica. Ok, just trying to add some drama!
DSCF9714.JPG
Don't leave me Charles!

P1270005.JPG
One of many stops
Off he went and I plodded upwards for a few more hundred feet, to the next ridge, vainly hoping to see the summit and be inspired to go that extra mile, but all I saw was another ridge.
DSCF9692.JPG
Towards Beinn Sguilard, I think?
That's right, you've guessed it - a ridge too far! Surprisingly the feet and rest of the body were still warm and dry, even when Jaf appeared over the horizon about half an hour later, having made it to the top.
P1270031.JPG
Spent

We took some time off for pictures and enjoy the great views, before heading down to the west, following much the same path as we had come up and even managing to find my jumper, earlier cast aside.
DSCF9768_600_800.JPG
On way down - jumper in hand.
DSCF9739.JPG
Towards Loch Creran

I have to admit, disappointed as I was, I was still thrilled to have made it a good way up and learned I was gonna have to do a bit more fitness work, if I was to tackle hills like this, from sea level.
DSCF9715.JPG
Loch Creran
DSCF9690.JPG
Northwards
Attachments
DSCF9732.JPG
Jaf
P1270029.JPG
Looking East
Last edited by JimboJim on Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Fhionnlaidh - A ridge too far!

Postby Big Jesper » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Fantastic report jimbo. Looking forward to meeting up with you and Billygoats to conquer the Anoach Eagach. :D
Big Jesper
Munro compleatist

Munros:266   

Re: Beinn Fhionnlaidh - A ridge too far!

Postby JimboJim » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:09 pm

Big Jesper wrote:Fantastic report jimbo. Looking forward to meeting up with you and Billygoats to conquer the Anoach Eagach. :D

Thanks, Big Jesper!. Ready for AE just as soon as my valium arrives.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland