walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Hill behind us we did not climb...

The Hill behind us we did not climb...

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Route description: Beinn na Caillich and the Broadford Red Hills

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dearg Mhór (Broadford), Beinn na Caillich (Broadford)

Date walked: 05/06/2012

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 975m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

….at least until today that is. As with Johnson and Boswell back in 1773 previously the weather was rough and the height and steepness discouraged us. Today however the weather is once again glorious and the familiar shape (having stayed in Broadford area several times) is finally to come under our boots.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Things got off to a poor start when my inability to follow directions meant that we set off from the parking area and not the road end. This meant that we had to follow the Allt a’ Chorie’s Northern banks before being relieved to pick up a fairly clear path the lead us over several streams to the foot of the ridge. At this point it became very clear that the decision to leave Hughie behind to keep Grandma company was the right one. We’d have had very little chance of getting the little fellow up this beast of a hill.

IMG_9625.jpg
Beinn Na Cailliach from the start of the walk

It was slow going but strangely enjoyable clambering over the endless boulders. The large black rocky outcrop helps by giving you a target to aim at for the first half of the ridge but for a time after that you’re lost in a sea of large boulders, most of which are fairly stable (I did have a very scary moment when a large boulder I grabbed to haul myself up started to move towards me). After what seamed like an age the edge of the Corrie comes into view with the gassy dome of the summit beyond.

IMG_9631.jpg
Steep!

IMG_9630.jpg
Looking back down

IMG_9633.jpg
Views opening up

I’m not sure we’ve ever been so relieved to reach a summit cairn as we were when we approached this monstrous construction. Allegedly the burial chamber of a Norse Princess and also containing a pot of gold, it’s no wonder nobody has attempted to check the facts. Lunch was enjoyed with the superlative views in all directions (does any hill on Skye not have a great view on a clear day?) making all the effort worthwhile.

IMG_9638.jpg
Bla Bheinn with the Cuillin behind

IMG_9651.jpg
The huge cairn

BnCpana.jpg
Looking towards Broadford Bay

IMG_9655.jpg
Among the summit boulders

To say the style of the walk changed at this point is an understatement. A really easy walk along the increasingly defined ridge leads you to the top of Beinn Dearg Mhor. The walking between the two Grahams is almost Lakeland in character and a relief following the rigors of the ascent.

IMG_9658.jpg
Beinn Dearg Mhor

IMG_9666.jpg
Looking back along the ridge

IMG_9670.jpg
On Beinn Dearg Mor summit

IMG_9672.jpg
Bla Bheinn

Another wonderful viewpoint with an even better view of Bla Bhienn was enjoyed with a sense of the condemned as we were aware of what was to come. A small cairn marks the way off the hill towards the steep scree slope.

The descent can be best described as bloody rotten or absolutely sh**e depending on your mood but at least it’s not particularly scary. The terrain is a mix of scree, large loose rocks, what is best described as sand and (just to throw you) the odd bit of solid rock sticking through.

IMG_9683.jpg
The scree descent

The Bealach was greeted with a happy grass dance before the previous pleasant terrain is resumed for the traverse of Beinn Dearg Bheag. Another fine view point (great views out to sea) is passed before descending back to the rough moor (very glad it’s been so dry) and the car.

IMG_9682.jpg
Another Bla Bheinn shot? Go on then!

IMG_9685.jpg
Beinn Dearg Bheg summit

Corrie Gorm.jpg
Corrie Gorm Panorama

In the end this walk turned out to be a bit of an epic. We certainly crossed the roughest terrain we’ve ever encountered and I’ll hold my hand up and admit I underestimated it a bit. Don’t let it put you off however it has much to recommend it if you get as good a day as we did.
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: The Hill behind us we did not climb...

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Superb pictures there and a grand day for it :lol:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:50 pm

Great stuff JK, that is a bit of an epic at the start, it seems to go up, up and up some more :shock: it didn't stop you getting the most beautiful photos of the day though. Great to see the big smiles around the summit cairn, not sure I like the sound of the descent either :wink: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:40 am

Great stuff once again, what a time to be on Skye :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby gaffr » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:47 am

The view from Beinn Dearg Mhor, with all the cuillin spread out before you, is surely one of the finest in Scotland. :) It was previous reports on this site that got me to make a visit a few days prior to your visit.....wish I'd had a finer lens on my camera!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:20 am

Another great report John, and another wonderful day for you :D You certainly struck it lucky this time with your week :lol:
Superb photos, as always, and love the Bla Bheinn ones :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:37 pm

What another glorious day you had, and wonderful views of Blaven....You saw more of it than I did and i climbed it :crazy:

Cheers JK
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:06 pm

mrssanta wrote:Superb pictures there and a grand day for it :lol:

Thanks for the kind words

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff JK, that is a bit of an epic at the start, it seems to go up, up and up some more :shock: it didn't stop you getting the most beautiful photos of the day though. Great to see the big smiles around the summit cairn, not sure I like the sound of the descent either :wink: :D

To be honest I'd have been down that scree in about 10 minutes if I was by myself just to get it over with. Had to do the Fatherly duties and keep Grace concentrating however which took a while.

Johnny Corbett wrote:Great stuff once again, what a time to be on Skye :D

Best week we've ever had on the not so Misty Isle. :wink:

gaffr wrote:The view from Beinn Dearg Mhor, with all the cuillin spread out before you, is surely one of the finest in Scotland. :) It was previous reports on this site that got me to make a visit a few days prior to your visit.....wish I'd had a finer lens on my camera!

I would have to whole heartedly agree. Pity some high level cloud had come in by then so I could not quite do it the photographic justice it deserves.

SusieThePensioner wrote:Another great report John, and another wonderful day for you :D You certainly struck it lucky this time with your week :lol:
Superb photos, as always, and love the Bla Bheinn ones :thumbup:

Thanks Susie, did you get a good week in the Trossachs then?
Oh and the best Bla Bheinn pic is yet to come. :D

L-Hiking wrote:What another glorious day you had, and wonderful views of Blaven....You saw more of it than I did and i climbed it :crazy:

Cheers JK

It's not all bad, gives you an excuse to climb it again. :D :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Love the pictures of Blaven. if your still there take another one 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland