walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 days 6 hills in the eastern Cairngorms with rudolph & cw&h

3 days 6 hills in the eastern Cairngorms with rudolph & cw&h

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Monadh Mòr, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 04/06/2012

Distance: 48.5 km

Ascent: 1942m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We have been blessed to have four trips to Scotland since the end of april. the first for my niece's wedding, lovely weekend. the second to the Cuillin munros in the first week of May - wow - the third to go very slowly up and down Ben Nevis in the heat and snow.
And now the fourth trip, for the Half Term/Jubilee holiday, a whole week off, starting with a return trip to reach the summit of Schiehallion, accompanied by my sister and her labradog. Coldwetandhungry has done the TR for this.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21908
And now we plan a two night foray to the eastern Cairngorms to climb six munros from Linn of Dee.

braeriach_.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Setting off by bike from Linn of Dee didn't start well as the rucksacks were big and swung about a lot, and we took an hour for about 3 miles. Rudolph heroically (he says) went on ahead and stashed his bag and came back for CWH's bag. However CW&H decided she would only moan about things we could fix, so no moaning about being bored, tired, sore feet, a long way etc, only about hunger, thirst, cold, hot and so on. Good plan for life, that.
P6041302small.jpg
small girl, big rucksack

Having had a leisurely morning making sandwiches and last minute packing, we stashed the bikes near White Bridge and tucked into our first lunch of the day at about half past one.
we followed the path up the north/east side of the Dee all the way to Corrour.
P6041309.jpg
chest of Dee

P6041312.jpg
Butterwort in flower

P6041314.jpg
first view of the Devil's Point, Beinn Bhrotain on the left

P6041316.jpg
nice wee lochan along the way

P6041317small.jpg
Devil's point again

P6041321.jpg
View up Lairigh Ghru opens up

P6041325.jpg
bit of weather coming in, needing waterproofs. At this point Rudolph realises he has brought the wrong trousers - the not showerproof pair!

P6041326.jpg
the bridge over the Dee at Corrour

At Corrour we stopped for our second lunch at about five o'clock, so call it tea time if you like. The rain came on so we sat inside the bothy for a while with some other folk and talked about midges, sleeping mats and exciting mountain exploits with the other people who were there.
But there is no time to linger, we were planning to climb a Munro and camp on the plateau so off we went up the corrie behind the bothy. At the bealach we dropped our bags and took the easy climb to the top of the Devil's Point.
P6041335.jpg
Ben Macdhui from the bealach

P6041341.jpg
Glen Dee from the top of Devil's Point

P6041346.jpg
summit of Devil's Point

Back down to the Bealach to retrieve our bags, it was now about 7 o'clock. We planned six hills and the walk out over the next two days and knew that the weather was set to deteriorate, so at this point there was an arg... heated discussion about whether to camp on the wide flat bealach where there was water available, or try to press on to the flattish bit at the head of allt clais an-t'sabhail where there looked like there might be a camping place. As it happened we found a flatt-ish place near a spring on the broad slope south of Cairn Toul, looking over towards beinn Bhrotain, where we soon tucked into our rehydrated tea and a hot drink and were fast asleep before long.
P6041350.jpg
purple saxifrage appearing among the brown grass, very surprisingly

P6041354.jpg
spring with moss and gorgeous colours

P6041362.jpg
evening sun on beinn bhrotain

P6041369.jpg
Devil's point on the left, looking over to Lochnagar and the White Mounth

the forecast for the morning was for cloud from 800-1000m and above, but we woke quite late to sunshine and high cloud, and much to Rudolph's excitement, a herd of his cousins grazing below us on the hillside.
P6051372.jpg
Happy morning rudolph in the bivvy tent

P6051383.jpg
Reindeer with Bheinn Bhrotain cliffs behind

We were soon up and breakfasted, I had 2 Eccles cakes, 2 oatcakes and a Babybel, and very nice it was too.
We packed up and set off straight up to reach the summit of Stob Coire an-t'Saighdeir at about ten o'clock
P6051390.jpg
zig zagging up the slope

P6051394.jpg
summit of Stob Coire an-t'Saighdeir with Cairn Toul behind

From there it is not so far to the top of Cairn Toul but the way up is almost entirely over big boulders so took us a while and we reached the top at about 10.45
P6051398.jpg
going up cairn toul

there are two tops here and the further away one is the summit although there can't be more thn a few inches in it.
P6051403.jpg
Cairn Toul summit pic

From Cairn Toul down the boulders and up a nice path to the top of Sgor an Lochain Uaine, the loch didn't look green but quite dark today and a long way down so we kept a good way from the edge. It was a busy summit where we chatted to a party who had come up via the north ridge from the Garbh Choire Bothy (not recommended to sleep in unless desperate, they had a tent) and another party who planned to descend that way. we took a good rest here and had our first lunch, as the sun came out and it was nice and warm, I managed to get my coat off!
P6051407.jpg
Top of Sgor an lochain uaine. the waterfall behind comes from the wells of Dee up on the plateau

After a good rest and refuel, we set off round the ridge to head for Braeriach. initially following the cliff edge where the remains of cornices made some interesting ice formations, we skirted to the east of Carn na Criche and headed just east of North where a cairn marks a suitable spot to cross the burn which is one of the sources of the Dee. The braeriach plateau is huge and it would be easy to become disorientated in mist or snow, so we practised some basic navigation skills even though the views were excellent in every direction.
P6051415.jpg
the baby Dee up on the plateau at 1200metres elevation

now I have run out of space for pictures so i will post this and continue on a second post.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: 3 days 6 hills in the eastern Cairngorms with rudolph &

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:08 pm

So here we are halfway up the side of Braeriach. There was a snow bridge across the river which Rudolph decided to cross but the girls were more sensible and crossed at the cairn. a gentle rising traverse takes you to the summit of braeriach where suddenly the ground comes to an end in sheer cliffs down to the Lairigh Ghru.
P6051418.jpg
From just across the river, slopes of braeriach in the foreground, Lochain Uaine on the right below Cairn Toul, in the middle distance the bealach between Ben Macdhui and carn a'Mhaim and in the background the white mounth and Lochnagar

P6051421.jpg
It's easy going most of the way across the plateau with boulders near the summit but not too many. But it's a long way and there is no path most of the way, or at least if there is it comes and goes a lot.

P6051422.jpg
looking downhill from the summit. Eeek

Coming back from Braeriach we met a man with an enormous beard walking in shorts and bare feet. we stopped for a chat but not for long as we needed to keep going, aiming for our second lunch at the 899metre bealach near lochan an suirteag. There was no path but we could see our destination and just walked towards it across rough grass. We were beginning to flag, so we had a good rest with a brew and some food, finishing the last of our filled rolls. this was the point at which we had planned to camp for our second night, but as it was only about 4pm and the forecast for the next day was not good we decided to press on and bag the next two hills.
P6051432.jpg
tea break

Going up Monadh Mor was lovely, a steep pull to start with but it gets you to a broad ridge where the going is gentle and easy underfoot.
P6051442.jpg
summit ridge of Monadh Mor

P6051434.jpg
can anyone identify this strange plant which looks like seaweed? I think it might be a liverwort but not sure

P6051444.jpg
top of Monadh Mor, cairn Toul behind

the going continued along the ridge where a path appeared taking us to the bealach between monadh mor and Beinn Bhrotain. this was a steep but short pull up boulders taking us to the top at just after 6.30pm. weary but happy.
P6051451.jpg
fifth munro of the day!!

So the next job was to find a place to camp which was easily done. we stopped just at the foot of Carn Cloich-Mhuillin, where there was a nice flat bit with a spring and shelter from the wind which was starting to pick up a bit.
P6051456.jpg
campsite

Tents pitched, sleeping bags spread out, food prepared and eaten, so we nipped up the wee hill of Carn cloich-mhuillin which we thought has as much right to be a Munro as the Devil's Point, only not so spectacular.
P6051459.jpg
Carn Cloich-Mhuillin. well if it ever gets promoted, we can tick it off!

next morning true to the forecast the clag was well and truly in, and we didn't hang about.
P6061468.jpg
campsite in the morning.

after another argu.... er, heated discussion about the best way down, up and over the top, or down and along the bottom, we compromised by contouring along a heathery, bouldery, wet, sodden, boggy, ankle-risking slope, which was probably not the best route but ho hum, we got there in the end, we even found a path for a brief period around the side of Carn Fiaclach, until it disappeared into another bog.
Anyway, no harm done and we were back at the bikes before noon, and the cycle back to Linn of Dee was much easier than the way out for some reason.
P6061475.jpg
the bikes, er, concealed

P6061480.jpg
back at the car park. a job well done!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Bod » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Aaawwwh! Lovely report, just lovely........great pictures and what a cracker of the Reindeer! :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Clach Liath » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 am

Nice read. It looks as though you were a day ahead of us on the Cairn Toul to Braeriach leg.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22203

It is great expansive country up there. Love it :)
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:08 pm

What a great '3 day event' that was MrsSanta, a wise decision to nick those last two before the weather turned but I'm not sure everyone was happy in that 5th Munro of the day photo :lol: Sorry I can't help with the liverwort (or otherwise) pic but I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you.
Really enjoyable read - thanks for sharing :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dooterbang » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:56 am

Another top report and grand few days out on the hills.

You all look as if your really enjoying yourself.

Still to do half the Gorms so some nice info there.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Rudolph » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:58 am

dooterbang wrote:Still to do half the Gorms so some nice info there.

If you haven't done Bhrotain and Monadh Mor they really are great done as a pair and even better done via corrour from White Bridge. I'd done this whole walk a couple of years ago on my own in a day and a half. Missing out Braeriach would probably make it a long single day. That time I'd come down from Bhrotain over Cloich-Mhuilinn in good visabilty and found the going on the ridge pretty fast (short heather / grass) although the paths did seem to come and go.

That wasn't so attractive this time (a bit more climb and navigating in clag all the way down) but with hindsight it would have been better than what we did. In fairness, there was a path which looked like it contoured round the west side but it petered out as soon as we were committed!
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Really enjoyed your report and excellent photos :thumbup:
What a great time you had and such a good way to spend half term :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Alastair S » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:13 pm

A crackin' report :thumbup:

And well done to CWH - that's an impressive round for someone who looks like they might be flattened by their own rucksack :clap: :lol: :clap:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 pm

What an excellent tale! Well done to all of you. Sounds like a cracking adventure. Really like the look of that bivvy bag thing! I was in the White Bridge/Corrour Bothy stretch a few days after you . Strangely despite all the walking I have done in the Cairngorms over the years, this was the first time I had ever benn at White Bridge or inside Corrour Bothy. Still not done any of these Munros though, but I'm sure I will refer to this report again when the time comes. :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby morag1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:30 pm

A great report of a great day out, well done the Santa Family :clap:

And well done to CWand H, thats an incredible amount of walking for someone so young 8)
morag1

Postby mrssanta » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Bod wrote:Aaawwwh! Lovely report, just lovely........great pictures and what a cracker of the Reindeer! :D :D :D

thanks, I was quite pleased as my little camera has a pathetic zoom.
Clach Liath wrote:Nice read. It looks as though you were a day ahead of us on the Cairn Toul to Braeriach leg.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22203

It is great expansive country up there. Love it :)

I think you were ahead of us, actually, we were on Schiehallion on the Saturday, and were on the Braeriach bit on tuesday the 5th. I think we were very lucky with the weather, a lot better than forecast, and the rest of the week was pretty grim. I agree it's a great part of the world.
SusieThePensioner wrote:Really enjoyed your report and excellent photos :thumbup:
What a great time you had and such a good way to spend half term :lol:

thank you, couldn't agree more. we left our two adult boys at home and we had a lot more fun than them
Alastair S wrote:A crackin' report :thumbup:

And well done to CWH - that's an impressive round for someone who looks like they might be flattened by their own rucksack :clap: :lol: :clap:

indeed. she does very well with it. she carries her sleeping bag and mat, and her own clothes and snacks and we take the tent stoves food and other sundries.
Graeme D wrote:What an excellent tale! Well done to all of you. Sounds like a cracking adventure. Really like the look of that bivvy bag thing! I was in the White Bridge/Corrour Bothy stretch a few days after you . Strangely despite all the walking I have done in the Cairngorms over the years, this was the first time I had ever benn at White Bridge or inside Corrour Bothy. Still not done any of these Munros though, but I'm sure I will refer to this report again when the time comes. :clap:

the bivvy is home made, with a pattern from Pennine Outdoor but it is slightly modified. the pattern costs £2 but the materials rather more! if you are interested I can give you more details.
morag1 wrote:A great report of a great day out, well done the Santa Family :clap:

And well done to CWand H, thats an incredible amount of walking for someone so young 8)

thanks Morag you can always be relied on for encouragement :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby robertphillips » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Well done kate and co great report. :clap: :clap: :clap: :)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby basscadet » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for posting - what a great report and photos :D

I think my dad told me once that Carn Cloich-Mhuillin used to be a munro, but was demoted as not enough drop between it and Bhrotain.. In fact, he said Hugh Munro was saving it for his last summit, and so it used to be the case that lots of other baggers saved it for last also.. How times change :crazy:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Great report of a fantastic trip. I'm doing two of these tomorrow as a long day trip. I hope its as clear as you had it 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland