walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin

Beinn Alligin

Postby monumentgardener » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 05/11/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMGP1201.JPG
Beinn Alligin from Liathach

Perfect blue skies and Beinn Alligin was just shouting out to us. Parked at the car park above Torridon House and headed up the track on the east side of the river in Coire Mhic Nobuil. Crossed the river and followed the branch of the path northwards towards the Horns of Alligin. There was a lovely scramble up dry rocks to a point where the path branches to pass over or under the 'Horns'. Little Mitzi had to be lifted up the bigger steps so we opted to save time and follow the very exposed path under the pinnacles.
IMGP1218.JPG
Scrambling
[]
The path then runs up a ridge to the higher of the two Munros, Sgurr Mhor.
IMGP1224.JPG
Sgurr Mhor

Had been wondering how we were supposed to cross the great cleft of Eag Dubh when viewed from Liathach on the previos day but all was revealled as we moved on and found ourselves crossing behind it!
IMGP1226.JPG
Eag Dubh

A long walk along a not very scary ridge took us to the other Munro, Tom na Gruagaich. Lots more food.
IMGP1241.JPG
Tom na Gruagaich

I had been worrying about the steep path in Coir' nan Laogh in case it was loose scree but those industrious path builders had been there before me and it was more of a staircase for the descent.
IMGP1255.JPG
Coir' nan Laogh

Now the view of the Liathach ridge is so good I'm annoyed I didn't go there today!!
monumentgardener

Munros:19   Corbetts:7
Donalds:2

Re: Beinn Alligin

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:54 am

Good to see some pics of the actual scrambling and such a good description from someone obviously not over-confident (like myself). Very reassuring about the descent from Tom na Gruagaich... maybe not quite so reassuring about the 'horns' bypass path being exposed - I rather thought it would be but people keep telling me it's easy!
mountain coward

Postby monumentgardener » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:18 pm

The path is wide and stable and doesn't feel unsafe but it is a sheer drop if you look down........just don't look down!
monumentgardener

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:30 am

:lol: Don't worry, I won't... a bit like the traverse path on An Teallach then around Corrag Buidhe - I was fine on that as the path was wide and stable like you say for this one... thanks for that.
mountain coward

Postby monty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:36 pm

Another nice report monumentgardner,
Just love the first and last pictures. I agree with you about Liatach :lol: Looks like you had the right weather to do either ridge today. :D
monty

Postby AndrewP » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:10 am

I had heard that the main danger with the traverse path was slipping on the grass and not stopping.
Did the grass seem slippery? Probably not in that weather, but maybe so in other circumstances?
AndrewP

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:08 am

On Beinn Alligin? Maybe I'd best take my ice axe in case I slip down the grass! :lol: Would be interested to know if that's the case anyway...
mountain coward

Postby billgerrie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:56 pm

If you mean the path along the side beneath the 'Horns', then it was quite deeply cut in and sandy, not at all grassy, so no chance really of slipping there. The ridge is grassy but broad so no chance of slipping down the hillside there either. There had been constant rain for days before the walk but the sandstone rocks produce sandy paths which seem to drain pretty well and the rocks themselves were not slippy even when wet.

(monumentgardener logged in as hubby!)
billgerrie
Munro compleatist

Munros:151   Corbetts:14
Donalds:4

Postby mountain coward » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:22 am

Okay - sounds great - I was wondering whether to do the 2 Munros and miss The Horns out completely but I may give the traverse under them a go. I prefer to do a round rather than an out-and-back...
mountain coward

Postby IainG » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:38 am

The ground is pretty steep around the path, and it is a gritty affair with grass both sides.

You can make it out here.

IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Or more likely could if I wasn't at work :( I'll take another look at home tonight - thanks for that...
mountain coward

Postby monumentgardener » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Wow IanG, if you take piccies of all the paths it must take hours to download all your photos! :wink:
monumentgardener

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:07 am

Yeah but it's really helpful to people like me - that's the kind of info I need - that and the pic you took of the scramble at the start... Thanks for those two Iain :)
mountain coward

Postby AndrewP » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:54 am

mc, we did the Horns in quite claggy weather and really had no problems with it, but do note that at one stage you do need to look carefully for the route, but it was all an easy clamber for us. I imagine that the route would be easier to find in good weather, though the drops on either side would be more obvious!
I understand that you and I have different attitudes to our relative abilities and desires, but I suspect that the over the top route might be within your abilities if it is within your determination and courage.
(If others who have done this think I am wrong, please speak up).
AndrewP

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Postby mountain coward » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:26 am

My abilities are fine - it's my courage which isn't unfortunately :( I have some good days though where I would probably sail along it but unfortunately few and far between. And I prefer a clear day as, if it's misty, I imagine things are much worse than they really are! :)
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland