walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

one for the ladies

one for the ladies

Postby highlander218 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 02/06/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

heading up for a weeks holiday in assynt we decided me and the other half would do a nice wee easy first munro for mrs H, and so ben wyvis was chosen which fitted in just fine and as id not yet done it so much the better, so we set off from the ben wyvis car park on a very easy path which gains height slowly without too much effort which suited the mrs just fine :D
Image0492.jpg

soon made easy progress up alongside the burn to reach foot of zig zag path up an cabar, again nice easy gradient which gets a little steeper higher up past the old steep drop on right mostly on stone steps, def need axe here if snowbound though
Image0491.jpg

then followed nice easy zig zags which get steeper as height is gained and are paved with huge stone slabs which make a fine rocky stairway up past a couple of big open drops on the right which didnt bother mrs h, and so up onto an cabar

Image0480.jpg

you will see a notice regards habitat protection / erosion on cairn of an cabar so we then followed ridge taking care to stay on path and avoid any unnessasary damage to arrive happily on the summit of ben wyvis where i got a big smile form mrs h havin now done her first munro and a kiss :wink:

Image0489.jpg

Image0487.jpg

we then decended the same route to have lunch and later sat happily in the sunshine with pint outside the ferry boat inn at ullapool. 8)

we went on later in the week to do stac pollaidh in coigach, and beinn an eoin a very fine corbett near gairloch which is a very long tough climb but well worth the effort as the veiws accross the torridon ranges are exeptional and my wee camera phone cant really do them justice, but heres 2 - from the corbett summit , and along the approach looking to beinn alligin

Image0681.jpg

Image0699.jpg

more beer - the end :lol:

Image0701.jpg
highlander218
Stravaiging

Munros:240   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:124   

Re: one for the ladies

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Cracking report Highlander :clap:

Well done from one Mrs H to another Mrs H on your first munro :wave: :wave:

I'm so looking forward to this hill sometime next year for Rocket Ron's compleation and thanks to your report I know what to expect :D :D

Cheers P XX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: one for the ladies

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:41 pm

and well done from a third MrsH although alias MrsS and may it be the first of many. :thumbup:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland