walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin - I love this one! (5/6)

Beinn Alligin - I love this one! (5/6)

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:01 am

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 04/05/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

If you have not climbed Ben Alligin – please do yourself a favour and climb this beauty of a mountain. Its not very often when I can say I have fallen in love with a mountain but Ben Alligin is one of them!

After my mad walk up Slioch the day before (Slioch – the mad way up) I was sure that I would not be able to walk up a Munro in weeks, but in fact I was feeling great…I think a week of hillwalking finally paid off and my fitness levels had improved greatly.
After having another long lay in and refusing to do any mountain before lunchtime, I took a leisurely drive through Glen Torridon and 'OMG' I was impressed. From the site I was camping I had been a bit disappointed with the landscape, but Glen Torridon made me realize why so many people rave about the area…it is stunningly beautiful!!!

Most people I drove past seemed to be in an equally chilled out mood. Waving at other cars while either they, or myself waited at the passing by areas on the single track road, I was happy until I saw another car racing towards me... Breaking to slow down to 20mph, I realized that the next passing area was closer to the other car and driving on slowly, I expected the other car to stop to (as its customary)...

Not that idiot...neither slowing down or stopping he raced past the lay by area and flew towards me on the narrow bit on the single track road. :shock: Moving my car towards the far left, thinking that the person surely has to break to let us finish that manoeuvre, I was wrong :shock: :o :shock: …with a loud bang our mirrors crashed together and the idiot raced on. :evil: :evil: :evil: Luckily nothing happened to my mirror but I was angry and cursed at the reckless driver. :( :twisted:

When I reached the starting point of the walk, I came down enough to forget the incident and made my way up the mountain. I will let the pictures tell the story….

DSC01282.JPG
The drive through Glen Torridon

DSC01284.JPG
The lovely road - minus the idiot

DSC01290.JPG
Ben Alligin

DSC01296.JPG
After the first 45min- looking back

DSC01297.JPG
On top of Sgurr Mor the first Munro-looking towards Gruagaich and the horns of Alligin

DSC01298.JPG
Further down

DSC01302.JPG
Lovely views all around

DSC01307.JPG
The beautiful hills of Torridon

DSC01309.JPG
me

DSC01310.JPG
Panarama view

DSC01314.JPG
Looking back to the first Munro

DSC01317.JPG
Liathach - one for the future thats for sure

DSC01324.JPG
The great gash of Eag Dubh na h-Eigheachd

DSC01325.JPG
The sea

DSC01326.JPG
The Horns of Alligin below...walking over the top was great fun and pretty easy! But there is also an easy path to the right

DSC01332.JPG
looking towards Loch Torridon

DSC01338.JPG
Slioch

DSC01342.JPG
the stunning views

DSC01347.JPG
The horns and myself

DSC01358.JPG
Can you sleep on a cairn....a bit too unconfortable in this position....

DSC01359.JPG
The duvet is also a bit on the hard side...with another hillwalker I met that day

DSC01363.JPG
On the way down

DSC01366.JPG
Lovely forest walk at the end of the walk
Last edited by Mountainlove on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Beinn Alligin - I love this one! (5/6)

Postby skuk007 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Nice report ML, must agree Torridon is pretty amazing. Was visiting last August but didn't get the chance to do any walking, so frustrating.

Not sure about your sleeping position, looks like you've just fallen from a plane :lol:
You must have great persuasive powers too to get that other walker to agree to a rock duvet picture. :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Nice report. I've just come to the end of 8 days in Torridon and I didn't manage to get up this beauty. Your photos have encouraged me to come back soon.

What's the TOG rating of that duvet? I need a new one. :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby soapy27 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Looks amazing and great weather 8) when were you up there?
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Belter of a day for it.

I had a similiar experience driving through Torridon week after you when some **** of a driver didnt stop, we would have collided if i didnt move.

Well done on falling in Love.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Not that idiot...neither slowing down or stopping he raced past the lay by area and flew towards me on the narrow bit on the single track road.

dooterbang wrote:I had a similiar experience driving through Torridon week after you when some **** of a driver didnt stop, we would have collided if i didnt move.

Forgot to mention, me too. When I was walking up that road the other evening after Beinn Eighe I almost got run over by a numpty in a silver-grey VW Polo who came hareing round a blind bend. There was a truck parked up for the night in a layby and as he went past he beeped his horn three times to wake the poor guy up. Some people are just *******. :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:49 pm

skuk007 wrote:Nice report ML, must agree Torridon is pretty amazing. Was visiting last August but didn't get the chance to do any walking, so frustrating.
Not sure about your sleeping position, looks like you've just fallen from a plane :lol:
You must have great persuasive powers too to get that other walker to agree to a rock duvet picture. :lol:

Thank you! That must be frustrating indeed! But the whole area is so nice- I really need to return at some point this year! Lol my persuasive powers are not that bad, but in that case that picture was not my idea :lol: :lol: I love mad people up hills! So much more fun!

BobMcBob wrote:Nice report. I've just come to the end of 8 days in Torridon and I didn't manage to get up this beauty. Your photos have encouraged me to come back soon.
What's the TOG rating of that duvet? I need a new one. :D

Mmm taking from the weight of the duvet - its a TOG of 2000+ :lol: :lol: :lol:

soapy27 wrote:Looks amazing and great weather 8) when were you up there?

Ah forgot to add the date- it was the 4th of June

dooterbang wrote:Belter of a day for it.
I had a similiar experience driving through Torridon week after you when some **** of a driver didnt stop, we would have collided if i didnt move.
Well done on falling in Love.

God more idiots out then...!! Glad the two of you manged to avoid an accident too. Regarding the day - it could not have been a better one!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland