walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A'Bhuidheanach Bheag and Carn na Caim from Dalnaspidal

A'Bhuidheanach Bheag and Carn na Caim from Dalnaspidal

Postby John Burgess » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 08/11/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 24 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A look at the map tempted Dan and I to try a longer but more varied alternative to the 'normal' route up these hills. The map shows our route - reconstructed using Quo when we got back since I've still not got myself one of those GPS thingummybobs to record my every move :)

Drumochter.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The car thermometer read minus 5 when we arrived at Dalnaspidal but there was hardly a breath of wind. We parked in the layby just before the end of the dual carriageway section of the A9 and, once we had negotiated a barbed wire fence low down, headed up Craig Chaorach. The weather was so good that even Drumochter looked attractive :D

Loch Garry.JPG

Drumochter.JPG

The long ridge over Druim Coire Mhic-sith gave very easy going with just one or two frozen peat hags to negotiate and we reached the summit of Glas Mheall Mor in time for elevensies!

A'Bhuidheanach Bheag from the ridge.JPG

Looking back from Glas Mheall Mor.JPG

A dusting of snow on the highest Cairngorms looked superb, the view of the next part of our walk over to Carn na Caim made us glad that the temperature was still well below freezing. The frozen peat hags gave some fairly easy walking.

The Cairngorms.JPG

The route to Carn naCaim.JPG

Frozen Grass.JPG

Frozen Bogs.JPG

Ptarmigan.JPG

We crossed the Allt a'Chama Choire at the point where the Allt Bhuidheanach and Caochan Tarsuinn meet it. The slopes near the burn were steep and loose but presented no real problems and we were soon on our way up the short, narrow ridge above the Caochan Tarsuinn.

Waterfall on the Allt a'Chama Choire.JPG

Looking down the narrow ridge.JPG

We wandered on and eventually arrived at the summit of Carn na Caim. The fence posts give up and miss out the highest point which has a decent size cairn. Sitting on it Dan seemed to be doing a fair impression of Rodin's thinker :lol:

Carn na Caim summit.JPG

Looking back from Carn na Caim.JPG

We met several groups on the way across to A'Bhuidheanach Bheag but had the top to ourselves. The Sun was now, unfortunately, hiding behind clouds on the other side of Drumochter but there were still some cracking views of distant hills.

A'Bhuidheanach Bheag summit.JPG

Ben Lui and the Bridge of Orchy Hills.JPG

The Crianlarich Hills.JPG

Cairn Toul.JPG

There was still time left for a detour out to Meall a'Chaorainn and a view of the late evening sun on the Monadhliath.

The Monadhliath.JPG

The ridge down over Fuar Mhonadh gave easy walking until the last kilometre or so when it became rather tussocky and boggy. The Sun was down before we returned to the car.

A grand day out :D

Evening over Loch Garry.JPG

Sunset.JPG
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A'Bhuidheanach Bheag and Carn na Caim from Dalnaspidal

Postby kinley » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:34 pm

I Guess we could see you John :D

Lovely shot of Loch Garry 8)

I like the Drumochter hills - even more so in winter. We only saw 1 ptarmigan on Braeriach :(

Nice report :)
kinley

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:39 pm

A fantastic report John- light on words and lets the amazing photos do most of the talking!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Yup, great pics - looks like you had some fabulous clear air 8). I love that area to the east of the A9. Particularly like the shots of the plateau looking to the Cairngorms over the steep glacial glens of the mounth - really capture the feeling of wilderness.

Also, that looks a good route for these hills - far more interesting than the route from the Dalwhinnie turn-off. I rather rushed them one day last year because I had a golf tie in the evening. In the end the heavens opened that afternoon to give us the wettest August on record and I had to forfeit my tie :?.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby John Burgess » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks guys :D

I think Kinley had the best of the weather - we could see the Cairngorms in Sun all day. Just hope for some days like that for the Tarf Hotel trip Graeme!

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland