walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Lawers 7

The Lawers 7

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich, Meall Greigh

Date walked: 19/06/2012

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lawers7track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Lawers 7 was a challenge me and my walking partner Gregor (gman27) had decided to do this year once the longer days were back. It was decided a fortnight or so ago that Sunday 17th June would be the day come rain or shine (Or whiteout as it turned out!).

The original plan was to park the car beyond the reservoir behind the Lawers Dam with a second car parked along at the Lawers Hotel for when we finished. About a week ago that plan fell apart when the second driver pulled out the walk. It was surprisingly difficult to talk someone else into climbing 7 munros in one day :D so we decided to go for it anyway and walk back along the main road to the start point once we got to the Lawers hotel. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

I picked Gregor up at 4:30am and we were parked up and ready to go at 6am. I had decided to wear my summer boots as they are lighter as I thought this would help since it was going to be a long day. Within 50 yards of leaving the car through the long grass, which was soaking due to the heavy rains that had fell all Saturday, my boots were soaked through and my socks were wet. Good start!!

I should actually call this report "The Lawers 7.5" due to a slight navigational error we made at the start :wink: Instead of heading in a North Easterly direction from the car straight towards Meall a Choire Leith we for reasons unlnown to me headed East into the thick mist even though the GPS was telling us otherwise. Convinced that the GPS wasnt working properly we squelched onwards until we were up at munro height (Hence the 7.5 :) ) . It was then we thought it was best to eventually get the map and compass out and check what was going on. Surprise surprise the GPS was fine. After a slight course correction we were back on the correct route, albeit in the wrong direction, down the dip and back up and onwards to the first munro of the day. Absolutely no view whatsoever so only the standard summit flag shot to show for it.

03-IMG_0673.JPG
Meall a Choire Leith

We headed off pretty much straight away towards Meall Corranaich. This section of the walk was quite enjoyable with no major obstacles. We reached the second summit 2 hours after leaving the car. Still no views....

08-IMG_0678.JPG
Meall Corranaich

07-IMG_0677.JPG
Gregor on number 2

From here there was a well defined path down into the valley until we reached a really craggy section to the West of Beinn Ghlas. The GPS showed the route to be straight up the steep face but there was a path skirting around the side. We followed this path in the hope it would start rising but it soon became clear that this path was not going to go up to Beinn Ghlas. We veered off this path and headed directly up the face of the craggy section. We covered about 200m of elevation before reaching the top. There wasnt much of a cairn on this one and it was a bit cold so we took a quick pic and moved on.

10-IMG_0680.JPG
Beinn Ghlas

After a couple of mins of walking I realised my head was cold, this then made me realise id left my hat at the summit - doh! Thinking I would probably need it for the rest of the walk I headed back to the cairn to retrieve it and then jogged back to meet Gregor again. We took this as a good opportunity to stop for a bite to eat, some hot coffee, a change of socks and a fresh t shirt. The dry clothes were a real morale booster and before long we were heading onwards towards Ben Lawers. There was a little bit of drizzle falling but it didnt take us long to reach the top of Lawers. 4 hours gone and 4 munros.

12-IMG_0682.JPG
Ben Lawers

From Lawers we headed towards An Stuc into uncharted territory in terms of munros in a day. As we were descending into the bealach before the final climb up An Stuc the whiteout began to clear ever so slightly and we got our first partial view of Lochan nan Cat. We were starting to tire by this point and the climb back up from the bealach was pretty slow but we got there in the end.

14-IMG_0684.JPG
Lochan nan cat

18-IMG_0688.JPG
An Stuc

17-IMG_0687.JPG
Gregor on An Stuc

People had warned me about the climb down from An Stuc and I had read a few reports previously about it. At first I was wondering what all the fuss was about as it was fairly straight forward but then we got to the really steep stuff with all the mud slides and loose material. It was probably good that we couldnt see much because of the mist as I reckon it would have been scarier if we could. The fact that the two of us were limping like old men on all the downwards bits by this point was not helping at all :D Our knees aint what they used to be...

20-IMG_0690.JPG
Meall Garbh

After leaving Meall Garbh for the home stretch towards Meall Greigh the mist had lifted and we could actually see the summit cairn in the distance. It looked deceptively close but as we headed down into the valley before starting the ascent it wasnt getting any closer!!

21-IMG_0691.JPG
On route to number 7

Finally after 7 hours we reached the 7th summit. What a feeling!

25-IMG_0695.JPG
Meall Greigh - Number 7

24-IMG_0694.JPG
Meall Greigh - Number 7

26-IMG_0696.JPG
Views of the Tay

27-IMG_0697.JPG
Views of the Tay

From here we headed down towards the main road and the Lawers Hotel. This bit was never ending, and we limped most of the way fuelled by mars bars and energy drinks. Upon reaching the main road the realisation of how horrible the next few hours were going to be hit home. Initially we thought we would just set a good pace and fire through it but since we both had multiple aches, pains and injuries the pace we set was painfully slow. We tried hitching for every car that was going our way but no one stopped. After 3 hours we were back at the car, 11 hours after we had set off. I couldnt walk last night but its all alot better today with only minro aches and pains and a couple of blisters.

Moral of the story: If you do the Lawers 7 take 2 cars.

Cheers

Eddie
Last edited by xpfloyd on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: The Lawers 7

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Cant believe no one stopped for you! Its a shame people are so unfriendly! But great reading about the report and the walk!! Like the idea with the flag!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Nice report XP, what is it with everyone doing these really long walks :lol:
Again, I'm hoping to do these (over two days) next month. I'm starting to feel a bit wimpy! :)

Not the best end to the walk, shame no-one offered you that well deserved lift.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Gman27 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Great report again mate
glad your feeling better I'm still hobbling about but still worth it in the end
:crazy:
Gman27
Munro compleatist

Munros:206   Corbetts:24
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:17

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 pm

don't worry skuk007 we set off to do 5 and did 4, then went back for meall corranaich and choire leith, we still have meall greigh to do. we took a car and a bike and my lovely husband took the car to the finish and cycled back to the start while I waited. that was xxx years ago.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby xpfloyd » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:50 am

Mountainlove wrote:Cant believe no one stopped for you! Its a shame people are so unfriendly! But great reading about the report and the walk!! Like the idea with the flag!!

The flag thing is a habit that once I started I cant seem to stop now, trying to get it to the top of all the munros. Its also been all over the world with me throughout the years.

mrssanta wrote:don't worry skuk007 we set off to do 5 and did 4, then went back for meall corranaich and choire leith, we still have meall greigh to do. we took a car and a bike and my lovely husband took the car to the finish and cycled back to the start while I waited. that was xxx years ago.

We had thought of taking bikes and leaving them at the end, im glad we didnt though as we would not have been able to cycle them. I wish we had thought of parking at the end and cycling to the start though! Ah well.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby xpfloyd » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:07 am

skuk007 wrote:Nice report XP, what is it with everyone doing these really long walks :lol:
Again, I'm hoping to do these (over two days) next month. I'm starting to feel a bit wimpy! :)

Not the best end to the walk, shame no-one offered you that well deserved lift.

Thanks skuk007. Two rather wet looking guys limping along the road probably wasnt the most appealing sight for people to invite into their cars, we were hoping for a white van man to pass but no such luck.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:25 am

Well done guys.

We did have the 2 cars when doing this....that walk back must have been torcher!!

Perhaps leaving 2 bikes at the end would have helped your cause.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Fudgie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:03 pm

I only did the 5 in one go :wink: but after descending from Meall Greigh, I headed for the track which went around the bottom of Ben Lawers so I didn't have to lose too much height. The track ran out though and it wasn't much fun after that.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby xpfloyd » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Fudgie wrote:I only did the 5 in one go :wink: but after descending from Meall Greigh, I headed for the track which went around the bottom of Ben Lawers so I didn't have to lose too much height. The track ran out though and it wasn't much fun after that.

Fudgie,

I saw your report mate, lovely pics!. We were very tempted to take the track as it looked a more direct route but the section after the track ends put us off and we thought we would make better time on the main roads.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Good effort guys and good to see that flag flying again :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby george33 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Good effort. I did the same 7 munros a couple of weeks ago. I started from Invervar in glen lyon, and went clockwise, starting with meall greigh and finishing on meall a choire leith. The descent and walk back through glen lyon was on farm tracks and felt a long way, but in reality took about an hour I think. Whole trip took me about 12 hours!
george33
Mountaineer

Munros:43   

Postby harry hill » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:22 pm

xpfloyd wrote:Moral of the story: If you do the Lawers 7 take 2 cars.

Bit of an epic there XP. There is a shorter & quicker route with only one car.

Starting at the same spot, do meall a' choire leith first. Then head to meall garbh, out & back to meall greigh. then head back along the ridge to your car. Its about 15 miles, and took me 8 hours.
harry hill
Ambler

Munros:236   Corbetts:21
Fionas:28   Donalds:89

Postby monty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:46 am

excellent effort guys. A bike would have saved some pain. :lol: Superb :D
monty

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland