walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Steall Falls and the Nevis Gorge with hidden return route

Steall Falls and the Nevis Gorge with hidden return route

Postby allansmitchell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Route description: Steall Falls and the Nevis Gorge

Date walked: 10/11/2009

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is just a spectacular route, we planned to head on past the falls (without crossing the wire bridge, ok I played on it first), and continue another couple of kms to have lunch at some ruins next to a footbridge and waterfall further down the valley, which we did and was a nice wee walk.
We however had a book that directed us to try and find a different return route. IT is approx 50 yards before re-entering the gorge on the right, it was fairly overgrown but we could find a small track that takes you up the hill in a steep but safe acent to give wonderfull views of the falls and back down glen nevis, I would highly recomend this route for the views. When you reach the summit of the hill, take the right path to hug the mountain for your decent (dont go left, vertical drops into the gorge) The path for the decent is obvious, taking you through the forrest and over a few streams to eventualy join the main. On looking back you can hardly see the route you have just come, but it was a safe and easy enough decent.
The rest of the walk is as as per the route map, for our picnic continuing down the valley the path steers to the right following the river, however we didnt see this until our return so spent ages going through the bog on what must have been a sheep trail.

The view from the hidden trail

Looking back down Glen Nevis

The path coming down the hidden trail

The view back towards the fall and that wire bridge

Our picnic site
Attachments

glen nevis hidden return.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by allansmitchell on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Steall Falls and the Nevis Gorge with hidden return route

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Nice report, and that is an awesome walk - I loved it when I did a few months ago.

I had no idea about that path you took on the return - I'll have a look if I'm there again.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby allansmitchell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:54 pm

It is a great walk, would never had guessed there was a path there either, and I did doubt the book until I had went about 50ft into the ferns where it becomes more distinct
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby AndrewP » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:07 am

Hmm. Yes, I can imagine where that route would be.
That's a really nice stroll just continuing up the Water of Nevis, isn't it?
Beautiful area.
AndrewP

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:11 am

I'd seen it setting off up that hill - it's a Corbett anyway isn't it? Also I'm pretty sure I know where you came back down and have often thought about setting off up there to see if I could get onto that hill (I know it has a name but can't be bothered to get my map)...
mountain coward

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:35 am

Meall Cumhann, but the path doesnt go near the top, skirts the crags along its west side
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:04 am

allansmitchell wrote:When you reach the summit of the hill, take the right path to hug the mountain for your descent (dont go left, vertical drops into the gorge)

Meall Cumhain - yes, that's the hill I meant... does it take you to the summit of this (I thought that's what you were saying in the quote above?)?
mountain coward

Postby allansmitchell » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:07 pm

Now attached the route we took so it makes more sence, not sure if there is a way to the top the way we went, more than a week ago so now erased from my memory, dont you just love old age :D
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:15 pm

Ah - now see where you mean - thanks for that. I'll probably do Meal Cumhain from the Allt Guisachan from the east to the col - looks less steep than the other routes...
mountain coward

Postby allansmitchell » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:07 am

When we had lunch on the east side it looks easy to go up that way, we did follow the river/stream up hill for a bit taking pics.
Looking north from the ruins
Looking north west, sorry was taking river pics so not much of the hill in the background
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland