walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mealls Corranaich & a' Choire Leith

Mealls Corranaich & a' Choire Leith

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:41 am

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 19/10/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At the end of Sep/start of Oct, I took a trip with my friend Richard with the intention of bagging all the Lawers area Munros. The cottage in Lawers village was really beautiful – we got accidentally upgraded as our smaller booked cottage got flooded just before we arrived due to a water-filter problem and we were put in a huge 8-bed bungalow which should have been vastly more expensive but of course we’d already paid the rate for the other cottage. In addition it also had a carport which was wonderful for my poor ol’ Sunny, especially considering the weather we had...

As there aren’t many photos for this post due to the ongoing nil visibility most of the week (the ones of the mountains were taken on another day from Ben Lawers col) I’m putting a few extras in here... starting with these of the view from the cottage and I’ll put a few waterfalls and stuff on the end of the post – these were short walks we did on the really bad weather days...
View from our cottage.jpg
Our garden at Lawnacroy.jpg

On surfacing the first morning the weather was not great – low cloud, miserable and some drizzly showers. We decided to break ourselves in gently by just doing Meall Corranaich and Meall a’ Choire Leith from the now defunct Visitor Centre.
Meall Corranaich & Lawers Range fm Tarmachan ascent.jpg
Meall Corranaich with Lawers Range above.jpg
We attempted to pay the suggested £2 but the meter was jammed with a pound coin (couldn’t get it out :wink: )

For some reason, I’d decided to wear my zip-off trousers – not sure why as there was little sun, just the occasional peep. We set off up the tourist path to the main Ben Lawers range and, just as it crossed the burn, we followed a grassy path going straight on towards the col between Meall Corranaich and Beinn Ghlas (the head of Coire Odhar).
Beinn Ghlas & Meall Corranaich.jpg
We went straight on about here instead of crossing the burn
The path was great for about another mile or so and then it petered out into the bogs. No matter, we could see the col below Meall Corranaich’s SW ridge so we headed over the next few humps, scaring a herd of deer in the process, towards our objective.

When we got to the foot of the slope up to the col, I was surprised at how steep the hillside was. A lot of it was peppered with small, greasy looking crags so I decided we’d ascend the very steep plain grass slopes further right. I could see there was a slight platform about 2/3 of the way up which would make me feel better if I found the ground too steep for my liking. It was a real grunt up the slope to the ‘platform’ and then there were some slight grassy gullies going up to the col – all easy and not too steep. In no time we were on the col and preparing to head up the SW ridge. It was here the full force of the gale hit us. We tried to stay round the ridge out of the wind but you couldn’t really escape.

The ascent of the SW ridge is really, really short from this col and we soon reached a cairn on a small summit. Far too soon for the actual summit I thought so continued along the ridge in the mist and ascended to another cairn a couple of minutes later. Still far too soon for the summit I thought again but, peering into the mist, could see that all the ground around us went decidedly downwards. I couldn’t believe how short and easy the ascent had been! We set off with quite a bad crosswind along the easy and pretty ridge.
Meall Corranaich.jpg
Our final descent was slanting left down the easy grass on the right...

As the book says, partway along the ridge, it splits and you have to take the right-hand fork. We could see the left-hand fork quite easily as it is short and was out of the mist. However, we couldn’t see where the right-hand branch was supposed to be – it certainly wasn’t directly north. We stood for a moment peering into the mist and it suddenly cleared slightly revealing the ridge down to the col before our second Munro, Meall a’ Choire Leith, below us on the right. We descended east down the side of our ridge across a bulky section of the mountain to join the paths down the desired ridge. The weather cleared a little so we decided to take the path which went along the ridge-top in preference to one which followed the burn as that looked nice and sheltered for our later return up the ridge.

As we neared the col the wind became ferocious, trying to blow us over the col down the steep craggy slope into the side glen. At this point, as it was now raining steadily, Richard decided he couldn’t go another step without putting his waterproof trousers on. I said he would be better waiting till we were in the shelter of the path creeping up the lee side of our next peak but he was insistent. The next few minutes were total farce as he struggled with his wildly flapping trousers on one leg as I held him up with the scruff of his jacket while wedging his rucsac between my legs so it wouldn’t disappear over the col;-) He initially put his left leg down the right leg of his trousers and then decided he had to have them the right way round (not sure it matters really) so huffed and puffed his way back out again. By now he was getting very grumpy and I was laughing at him! He eventually got them on and we set off again for Meall a’ Choire Leith.
Meall a Choire Leith.jpg

The path for this sets off on a gently rising slope to the right of the mountain. It’s a short and steady ascent and we were out of the wind so it was great. We were soon at the very ornately built cairn. However, as we studied the cairn I saw it didn’t really have a very firm base, it was actually undercut all the way round. I thought that was pretty dangerous really and it was likely to fall on some unsuspecting walker sitting behind it. I told Richard to help me post rocks into the spaces underneath so we set to work.

Suddenly, I shouted a warning to Richard as the whole thing set off in his direction (he had his head down looking for the next rock to use). He jumped out of the way just as the whole cairn crashed down just where he’d been. We felt terrible about demolishing such a beautiful cairn but we’d only been trying to help – honest! We quickly rebuilt it the best we could and hurriedly headed off back down. We could hear the mountain shouting ‘hooligans’ and ‘vandals’ at our backs (or at least we had a laugh imagining it was). Every time we saw it from subsequent walks, we imagined it was still shouting after us.

Soon back on the col and back into the horrible gale. We set off south up the burnside path back up the ridge we came down. At one point the wind hurled me across the path and I fell and hurt my wrist. It soon recovered however and we continued. I’d seen a nice-looking path on the way out which continued south over the edge of the ridge on grassy slopes and back down to the col between Corranaich and Beinn Ghlas. From there I knew there was a superb path back to the tourist route and the visitor centre. It was a bit wet and rough through the lower parts of the corrie to the col and the path disappeared for the last few hundred yards but we were soon heading back down the good path from the col.

By now it was sweeping soaking rain and my zip-offs were wringing wet but I still wouldn’t put my waterproof trousers on as I hate wearing them. I couldn’t even be bothered to put on my featherweight over trousers which are great but meant taking my wet boots off.

We arrived back to the visitor centre carpark where it was too windy to stand to take off your wet stuff. I sat in the car taking my wet boots off and putting them down by the car door and they were nearly setting off it was that wild. Anyway, it was a good, short, easy route for the 2 Munros with only a little backtracking and re-ascent. In total it was about 8 miles and 2966 feet of ascent.

Here are some photos of the Acharn Falls about a mile south of Acharn village on the South Loch Tay road... You have to go through a hermit’s cave to a rock platform above a big drop to view it!
Falls of Acharn.jpg
Acharn Falls.jpg

And one photo of a view from the ‘Birks of Aberfeldy’ walk...
Rainbow&view fm Birks of Aberfeldy.jpg
Last edited by mountain coward on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountain coward

Re: Mealls Corranaich & a' Choire Leith

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:17 pm

I did these as a hungover pair a couple of weeks ago when an epic was not on the cards! I thought that cairn looked a bit small :lol:.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Mrs T » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:36 am

sounds a lot like our trip to these two a couple of years ago! Except that we had the waterproofs on from the start... I was blown over twice, luckily no serious damage. I think we took one picture the whole day and that was from the bealach between these and Beinn Ghlas on the way down. And the whole week was pretty much the same as yours, wet and windy with no views. Weatherwise one of the most miserable weeks ever and we had dragged in-laws with us, their first time in Scotland.
Mrs T
Munro compleatist

Munros:246   Corbetts:17
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:03 am

Didn't take any pics on the day at all - wasn't sure why I even took my camera!
mountain coward

Postby sloosh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:18 am

We were soon at the very ornately built cairn. However, as we studied the cairn I saw it didn’t really have a very firm base, it was actually undercut all the way round. I thought that was pretty dangerous really and it was likely to fall on some unsuspecting walker sitting behind it. I told Richard to help me post rocks into the spaces underneath so we set to work.

Suddenly, I shouted a warning to Richard as the whole thing set off in his direction (he had his head down looking for the next rock to use). He jumped out of the way just as the whole cairn crashed down just where he’d been. We felt terrible about demolishing such a beautiful cairn but we’d only been trying to help – honest! We quickly rebuilt it the best we could and hurriedly headed off back down. We could hear the mountain shouting ‘hooligans’ and ‘vandals’ at our backs (or at least we had a laugh imagining it was). Every time we saw it from subsequent walks, we imagined it was still shouting after us.

Cairn smasher. :shock: :lol:

You were actually luckier than you think -- that cairn had a wasp's nest in it as I found out when I sat down for a sandwich when I did these two during the summer. A bit earlier in the year and the mountain would've had instant vengeance. :wink:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:39 am

OMG! It definitely would have been vengeance at that time of year as I know to my cost how grumpy wasps get in Sep/Oct. I had a wasp's nest in my compost bin and they were fine with me tipping compost into it all summer... Came Sep/Oct and I opened the lid to tip some more... out came the whole nest - a huge cloud. I rushed for my back door followed by the cloud... I rushed through the house and out the front door - still followed by the cloud... I then ran outside onto my drive, round in a circle, all the while beating myself around my head and shouting obscenities, then back into the house... If my neighbours were watching they must have been thinking of dialling the loony bin! It must have looked really strange if you didn't know what was going on! :lol:

I was lucky and just got stung 3 times and most of the wasps didn't manage to follow me back into the house - just 2 which I soon blatted! The 3 strings gave rise to a scientific experiment as I couldn't remember which you put on wasp stings, vinegar or bicarb of soda... I tried one of each on 2 of the stings, and the one which worked on the 3rd (vinegar) :D .
mountain coward

Postby sloosh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:09 pm

I think I would like to have seen that. :lol: At least you more or less got away with it. I hate wasps. I wouldn't have put up with a wasp's nest in my compost or anywhere else for that matter, at all.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:25 am

To be honest, I wish I had it on video - I'd have put in on YouTube with a title like 'The Neighbourhood Nuthouse Escapee'! :lol:

I hate wasps nests too and kill Queen wasps if I see them. I used to regularly get them in my garden shed and usually found them before they were too well developed/populated I think. I remember once securing one in a container to remove it from the shed ceiling, taking it to the wooded area next to my house and trying to throw it well into the wood... Little did I know they're sticky... it ended up landing right at my feet - as the wasps started to come out of it I legged it into my house and managed not to get stung that time. Very scary things!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland