walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ullapool weekend day 2 in the clag

Ullapool weekend day 2 in the clag

Postby fipriestley » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope, Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 16/06/2012

Time taken: 7.75 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a great day out yesterday, this one was not so fortunate with summit views. Still a fantastic outing with a great sense of achievement - traditional route up Ben Hope in 3.5hrs then a 1hr drive and straight on to Ben Klibreck with a more direct route in 4.25hrs :D
SDC14937.JPG
helpful! :D
SDC14940.JPG
hopeful the top might clear (it didn't!)
SDC14946.JPG
would have been a whiteout if this was winter
SDC14947.JPG
Ben Hope summit
Once back out of the clag the views opened up a little on the way back down.
SDC14954.JPG
SDC14955.JPG
SDC14959.JPG
stream flows down the hill...
SDC14960.JPG
...creating dive pools...
SDC14963.JPG
...and a great spot for a shower (if it wasn't already pouring with rain!) :D

Rain now stopped it was on to Ben Klibreck :D Not planning to take the WH route right up the ridge we found a parking spot close to the river, more like NC545303 (my guestimate! I didn't need to check as visibility was good). Headed SE, round the end of Loch nan Uan then pretty much straight up until we picked up the path heading across to the 686 point on the way to A'Chioch. The last climb to the summit, still in clag, was gruelling but I did it. Woohoo! :thumbup: :lol:
SDC14977.JPG
heading off across the moor, summit in cloud
SDC14983.JPG
around the end of Loch nan Uan
SDC14987.JPG
followed a boggy path for a while...
SDC14996.JPG
...then left it to cut across the hillside :D
SDC14997.JPG
view to Ben Hope, still topped in cloud
SDC15000.JPG
picked up the path to cross the next top and disappear into clouds!
SDC15004.JPG
beyond the boulder field (are we there yet?!)
SDC15005.JPG
Ben Klibreck summit! :)
The route back was a retrace - followed the path near the top of the ridge for a while then straight down through the heather... slides all round but made for a quick descent :lol: The walk out back over the moorland (wasn't as boggy as I thought it would be) was really very pleasant, a lovely balmy evening by now :D Plans for walking the next day put to rest though, really couldn't have topped this trip! :D :D
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Ullapool weekend day 2 in the clag

Postby monty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 am

Good effort Fi. I was in the clag for these two. Its a nice climb up the final slope to Klibreck. Not surprised you felt it :lol:
monty

Postby fipriestley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks Monty. It was a great day out :D Legs recovered, will be fine for the weekend :lol:
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby pigeon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Pity you didn't get 2 good days fi,well done for seeing it through though :thumbup: ,always a bummer when you get the clag on the long trips :(
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Hillwalker and Her » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:14 pm

pigeon wrote:Pity you didn't get 2 good days fi,well done for seeing it through though :thumbup: ,always a bummer when you get the clag on the long trips :(

Nice one Fi. We were very lucky then weather wise, when we did it four weeks ago. I wanted to do both Munro's too, but thought it might be too much for my wife. That last climb to the top of Klibreck is tough especially on a warm day. It's going to be a long drive when we eventually get round to Ben Hope!! :clap:
Hillwalker and Her
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Donalds:2
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland