walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 days 6 hills in the eastern Cairngorms with rudolph & cw&h

3 days 6 hills in the eastern Cairngorms with rudolph & cw&h

by mrssanta » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Monadh Mòr, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 04/06/2012

Distance: 48.5 km

Ascent: 1942m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: 3 days 6 hills in the eastern Cairngorms with rudolph &

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:09 pm

I thought at first that rudolph was a link to the reindeer herds up here...now I know otherwise :? :roll: It's a great area in which to spend time and overnighters let you get really immersed in it. Had a chuckle at the" small girl, big rucksack" photo. Can't wait to get back up here for our annual summer holiday - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby neilfowlie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Superb report there as well as some cracking photo's. :clap: It has gave me some ideas as I was thinking of doing the same Munro's but cycling to the foot of and climbing Beinn Bhrotain and walking in a "clockwise direction" to bag the others. Might have to miss out the Devil's Point though and descend via Glen Geusachan back to my bike.
Do you think thats possible in a long days hike??
neilfowlie
Mountaineer

Munros:76   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 am

Brilliant stuff, what a way to spend a wee family holiday and great to see the enthusiasm your daughter has for the hills :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby gaffr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 pm

I too would put the strange plant in amongst the liverworts.......also good to see that Carn Cloich-Mhuillin is not forgotten.....it's a fine wee former big one. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby gaffr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Oops!... not so sure now about the seaweed looking thing.....perhaps it is Iceland Moss....now would that put in among the lichens? :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:13 pm

neilfowlie wrote:Superb report there as well as some cracking photo's. :clap: It has gave me some ideas as I was thinking of doing the same Munro's but cycling to the foot of and climbing Beinn Bhrotain and walking in a "clockwise direction" to bag the others. Might have to miss out the Devil's Point though and descend via Glen Geusachan back to my bike.
Do you think thats possible in a long days hike??

You may struggle to cycle much past White Bridge, certainly on the east side of the dee the path is not really cyclable. on the west side you may get a bit further depending on the quality of your bike and your cycling skills. But it sounds like a good one. you could still do devils point after Cairn Toul and then go west from there across the Bhuidheanach of Cairntoul to the head of Glen Geusachan tho it would add a bit to your walk.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:16 pm

gaffr wrote:Oops!... not so sure now about the seaweed looking thing.....perhaps it is Iceland Moss....now would that put in among the lichens? :)

That looks like it! apparently it is edible though bitter. you can use it for porridge. don't much fancy it myself
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Great report and photos. We cycled in as far as the Bynack Ford on the following Monday 11th and met a party of "Duke of Edinburgers" with their teacher leaders. They told us that they had also come across a strange looking man in shorts, long beard and walking barefoot. He was heading for Aviemore via the Lairig. Very well equipped apart from his unusual dress and he told them he had renounced any form of motor transport 10 years ago and had been wandering the Highlands since then. Has anyone else seen him I wonder?
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 pm

robertphillips wrote:Well done kate and co great report. :clap: :clap: :clap: :)

thanks /Robert. You are fair cracking through those Munros now, when are you going to finish?
rockhopper wrote:I thought at first that rudolph was a link to the reindeer herds up here...now I know otherwise :? :roll: It's a great area in which to spend time and overnighters let you get really immersed in it. Had a chuckle at the" small girl, big rucksack" photo. Can't wait to get back up here for our annual summer holiday - cheers :D

thanks. I hope she grows soon! but I hope she doesnt get too cool to come out with us.
basscadet wrote:Thanks for posting - what a great report and photos :D

I think my dad told me once that Carn Cloich-Mhuillin used to be a munro, but was demoted as not enough drop between it and Bhrotain.. In fact, he said Hugh Munro was saving it for his last summit, and so it used to be the case that lots of other baggers saved it for last also.. How times change :crazy:

we thought it was a good wee hill, warmed us up nicely for bed.
jonny616 wrote:Great report of a fantastic trip. I'm doing two of these tomorrow as a long day trip. I hope its as clear as you had it 8)

enjoyed your report Jonny, glad you had a clear day for the plateau.
Johnny Corbett wrote:Brilliant stuff, what a way to spend a wee family holiday and great to see the enthusiasm your daughter has for the hills :thumbup:

oh yes, she wants to do Liathach, but still is a bit nervous on loose stuff so I think we will try a few less scary ridges first!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland