walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Glensheil Ridge

South Glensheil Ridge

Postby rankinmckee » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 07/06/1997

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 6000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first hill walking venture with the walking group from the North Church, Perth know as the Skye Pilots.
Stayed at Sheil Bridge bunkhouse which was very comfortable and ate in the hotel.
Started walking from Cluanie Inn at 8am and walked off at 10pm, exhausted.
Experience has built up since then and lots has changed since that first adventure. I nibbled chocolate and dried fruit every 15-20 minutes along the route and couldn't eat my lunch. Didn't take enough fluids that day.
Some of the group had walked off quicker than us and had made the hotel before closing, persuading the chef to stay until the stragglers had caught up.
Thank you chef, although I tride to fall asleep in my soup, the soup and scampi and chips were very welcome.
One of these experiences that when you look back on were absolutely wonderful, great walk, great company, great experience.
rankinmckee
Mountaineer

Munros:93   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:38   

Re: South Glensheil Ridge

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Jings! This is going back a bit! The Perth Skye Pilots??? Do you know Robin????
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rankinmckee » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi Graham.
Yes good friends with Robin and meet regularly, in fact going out this weekend to Ben Cruachan along with James McNae so looking forward to that. Heard a bit about you too and did the two Grahams near Amulree after reading your walk report.
All the best
Rankin
rankinmckee
Mountaineer

Munros:93   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:38   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 pm

rankinmckee wrote: Heard a bit about you too

Yeah, I'm sure. A few bothy stories no doubt! :lol:

Enjoy Cruachan! It's high time Robin did something about that one! Maybe I'll catch up with you sometime when I'm in tow with Robin. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland